Explain your avatar / screen name

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

Actually, Polywog, most of the Russian battleships (more like Heavy Cruisers and Destroyer-Dreadnaughts (DD, in case anyone wonders where the initials for Destroyer comes from, I finally got it tracked down from an old Rear Admiral from Taffy 7-WWII, USA) ) were sunk by the Japanese before WWII and never rebuilt.  The Russia navy was such an utter disgrace.  To this day I wonder why they even start with a submarine at all.

• 2007 AAR League

Sorry, I don’t want this thread to get off topic, but hey, that russian sub is key to my allied strategy :D!

Any more avatar explanations?

I’ll just take this opportunity to explain my new catch phrase, Audi Alteram Partem. It is a legal doctrine in latin that means “hear the other side” or “both sides must be heard”.

• 2007 AAR League

My avatar is a rugby ball, because….I like rugby.

• @Jennifer:

Actually, Polywog, most of the Russian battleships were sunk by the Japanese before WWII and never rebuilt.  The Russia navy was such an utter disgrace.  To this day I wonder why they even start with a submarine at all.

You could not be more right: The BB in my avitar is Oryol (Orel). It was the only surviving “modern” battleship of Tushima & surrendered to the Japanese after the battle. Like most other awful Russian capital ship designs of the turn of the century, it was heavy, over-gunned, under armored, under powered and highly unstable on the open ocean. It belongs to possibly one of the worst classes of battleships ever built and was made into Japanese tin cans in the 20’s.

• Rune Blade - the bad a** weapon from Final Fantasy VII.  The name kinda stuck for me and now I post it on anything I do online.  I even sign my games with “Rune Blade”.

As far as my “a”, I found this cute one of my son when he was one.

RB

• 2007 AAR League

I miss Final Fantasy…

• Does my Avatar really need an explanation?  :-D

• 2007 AAR League

No, because Khan rocks!

• 2007 AAR League

Hey froodster is that you in your avatar??
    I thought all Canadians looked like this …

[attachment deleted by admin]

• 2007 AAR League

Yeh that’s me…

But tell me, do all Americans look like this?

[attachment deleted by admin]

• Sankt = Saint in norwegian

Sankt Hallvard, guardian angel/city protector of Oslo(Capital of Norway…)

Introduced in an online game a while back as I ran out of “cool” american nicknames and figured “fuck it, people don’t need to know what my nick means if english is all they know.”

Also featured in songs for the city’s main football club(soccer, that is - VÃ¥lerenga: www.vif.no / www.vpn.no)

• 2007 AAR League

@froodster:

But tell me, do all Americans look like this?

About 99%  :wink:

• Since Star Wars is my favorite film series and Grand Admiral Thrawn’s character is defined by his strategic brilliance I thought it was an appropriate avatar for an Axis and Allies forum.

“Concentration, focus, long-term thinking–those are the qualities that separate a warrior from a mere flailing fighter.”
    -Grand Admiral Thrawn

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

Pretty much, Dan.  Except for some of us conspiracy nuts that honestly believe that McDonald’s = Poison and that we cannot trust the FDA to do their job, so we grow our own fruits and vegatables in our own greenhouses…oops!  I’m destroying the world with my greenhouse!  Oh, it’s okay, it’s just sun lamps, heaters and water I purify myself, I guess it’s okay, as long as I hold my breath. :P  :evil:

Politics aside, pretty much.  No one takes responsibility for themselves in my country.  They all want to blame someone else because they’re fat, ugly, democrat, whatever.

• I joined this site mid-2001, way back when. I used to play the game Everquest, and at one point I made a character. The random name generator came up with “Yanbun”. That character eventually became my main guy and I used it on a lot of online sites. When I joined this site, I couldn’t really use such a weird name (though my email was Yanbun100@hotmail.com at the time), so I used the shortened “Yanny”.

The avatar is from Shining Force 2, an old Sega Genesis game, one of the best RPGs of it’s time.

• '19 Moderator

@Yanny:

I joined this site mid-2001, way back when. I used to play the game Everquest, and at one point I made a character. The random name generator came up with “Yanbun”. That character eventually became my main guy and I used it on a lot of online sites. When I joined this site, I couldn’t really use such a weird name (though my email was Yanbun100@hotmail.com at the time), so I used the shortened “Yanny”.

The avatar is from Shining Force 2, an old Sega Genesis game, one of the best RPGs of it’s time.

lol, I always thought “Yanbun” was something funny you made up from Yanny.

• Jermo - A nickname of my first name, Jeremy.

Foot - I was in a Network Engineering class, and as a reward for successfully setting up a network, we played Microsoft’s Monster Truck Madness.  I choose the iconic “Bigfoot” truck, and renamed it “Jermofoot.”  It was dumb, but it kinda stuck.

My avatar is a pic of my son - he was probably 8 months or so at the time, and now he is 14 months.  I’ve got some other photos that I’ve been considering progressing to.

• 2007 AAR League

Very cute kid, I gotta say. Now, what about the “Hahahahaha”?

• 2007 AAR League

My screen name is just my e-mail address.  When I first signed up at this site I was only looking for clarification of some of the OOB rules.  Especially the UK fighters costing $12.  Who knew I’d get sucked in, and become completely addicted.

As for my Avatar, I’m a big fan of Babylon 5, Londo was my favorite character.  I thought the picture was perfect for the political board.

balungaloaf nailed it when he said:

@balungaloaf:

… how haughty and pompous and perfectly fit for londo to sneer at others as they read your posts!    :lol:       PERFECT!

It reflects the tone of all of us who post there.

Question to the site administrators.  Is it possible to change your screen name?  Now that I’m here to stay, I want to change mine to something cool.

P.S.  Balungaloaf, I finally get your Avatar…YMCA…you do know you’re going to hell.  :-D

• @froodster:

Very cute kid, I gotta say. Now, what about the “Hahahahaha”?

Thanks, man.
    The older picture I was using of him was captured in the midst of a hearty laugh.  I’ll have to change that as well.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m