Can I ignore a transport and yet still attack it on the same turn?

• Couldn’t remember if this was legal or not.

Let’s say I (Japan) has a large fleet stationed at the Caroline Islands, consisting 3 CV’s (each carrying 1 fighter and 1 tac bomber), 1 BB, 1 CA, and 5 transports (each loaded with 1 infantry and 1 artillery). My objective is to capture a crippled New South Wales and deal the final blow to the ANZAC forces.

In this scenario, there’s an undefended British transport sitting in SZ 46 (the only path to get from Caroline Islands to NSW in one turn).

I can obviously choose to completely ignore it and launch my amphibious assault on NSW – But my question is, can I ignore it and move my warships through the SZ, but then attack aforementioned transport separately with a fighter from one of my carriers once my warships have passed through? Or, if I chose to attack the SZ46 transport, must all of my warships end their combat movement in that SZ?

Thanks in advance.

• '10

No, once you contest the sz ship movement stops

• '19

I disagree.  I dont see anything that says you cant do that.

• @Battlingmaxo:

The rules about transports state that warships can ignore the presence of transports while moving.

• @Hobbes:

@Battlingmaxo:

The rules about transports state that warships can ignore the presence of transports while moving.

Per Krieghund regarding the same condition with a Sub in a seazone.
    @Krieghund:

Yes, you can (attempt to) attack the sub with one sub while the other sub and the transport move on.  It’s not a contested sea zone that stops movement, it’s a hostile one.  The presence of enemy subs and/or transports alone does not make a sea zone hostile.

Assuming that subs and transports are treated equally by this rule, yes, you can choose to ignore the transport with your fleet and bomb the living heck out of it with a plane.  Basically, transports and subs don’t stop anything on any condition.

• I, also believe the answer is NO.The rules state 1) all combat moves must be made. 2)conduct combat. So it would be my understanding that if a battle was to happen in sz46 all ships would have to stop their move in that zone without the ability of passing thru. :?

• Official Q&A

@kcdzim:

Per Krieghund regarding the same condition with a Sub in a seazone.
    @Krieghund:

Yes, you can (attempt to) attack the sub with one sub while the other sub and the transport move on.  It’s not a contested sea zone that stops movement, it’s a hostile one.  The presence of enemy subs and/or transports alone does not make a sea zone hostile.

Assuming that subs and transports are treated equally by this rule, yes, you can choose to ignore the transport with your fleet and bomb the living heck out of it with a plane.  Basically, transports and subs don’t stop anything on any condition.

That’s right.  Only hostile sea zones stop combat movement.  The presence of enemy subs and/or transports alone does not make a sea zone hostile.  The only reason that you would have to stop is if you want to attack them, and then only the attacking unit(s) must stop.  Any others may continue on.

• Customizer

OK, I need clarification on this as well.

I amphibiosly attack Philipines.  There is a transport in the sea zone.  My BBs can ignore the transport and do shore bombardment, while I hit the transport with planes and/or other ships?

While I have your attention, can I build a minor factory on a zone worth 1 IPC?

Cheers

• Customizer

@jim010:

I amphibiosly attack Philipines.  There is a transport in the sea zone.  My BBs can ignore the transport and do shore bombardment, while I hit the transport with planes and/or other ships?

EDIT:  Wait, good question.  With the BB’s ending in the same zone as the transport, they might have to participate.

@jim010:

No, it states in the rules that minor IC’s can only be built on a 2 IPC territory or higher, while majors require a 3 IPC territory.

• Official Q&A

@jim010:

No.  If you attack the transport, everything attacks it.  You can either kill it or bombard, not both.

@jim010:

No.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m