WWII: The Struggle for Europe and Asia

• For a much larger and advanced game that mixes in ellements from games like Third Reich and World at War - check out:
    www.ww2wargame.com

It looks like some of the advanced rules discussed here have been implemented in this game. 
    Been playing it at cons for a few years!

• How is this game? What i see at their site looks very nice! Years of playtesting most have count for something… And with all the painted metal figures  8-)  But before spending a thousand…  :roll:  I like to hear some comments on it…

• If anybody wants this game ill sell my copy for 175.00 including shipping (as long as its in USA)

It was played only once. I dont care for the game. The game comes with rules and player aids. No pieces.

• Why you don’t like it IL? Many positive reviews on it… what’s your thought? Thanks!

• I dont like the fact that the game guides everybody to the historical outcome.

Also i like to fight in africa

I dont like the combat system with the tedious allocations of front line vs. secondary units

Its rather complicated.

The map does not fit all the pieces because too many territories to conquer.

• Thanks for this.

• Yea that italian thing sucks… roll a die and Italy surrenders… thats pretty much it.

• I also read on that Italy role and didn’t like it… roll and out they go, even if they have a well organized defense setup for the Italian mainland… No matter, roll a one and gone…

But I think, this Italy role can be changed or left out at all, like a house rule. Not?

• Hello Micoom,
        The game is always evolving based on feedback. It is a balancing act trying to keep the game from getting overly complex and keeping the historical feel AND be able to play it in a day if one wants to.
        There is a list of optional rules at the end of the downloadable rule book that have been added based on input from those who have played the game.
        Most recently, they have added a chart concerning Italian morale/surrender rules:

http://www.ww2wargame.com/forum/index.php?topic=57.15

They always appreciate feedback!

John

• This game looked VERY interesting, but after I read the rules, I too was a bit turned off by the timeline and italian surrender.  I do like how in depth the map is, and how it begins in 1939.

I could be wrong here, but didnt italy overthrow mussolini after the allies took over sicily?

• The king of Italy told Il Duce to step down. The thing is the germans moved in and got many of the former italian units to remain loyal to the German backed fascist so basically northern italy was still on the axis side.

• Actually, I think when Italy surrendered to the Allies in September 1943, the German army moved in and disarmed the Italians and bombed and destroyed the fleet.  The Northern puppet state of the Italian Social Republic was not much of a military force - the remnant of black-shirt fascist battalions were mainly deployed at counter partisan activities to quell pro-Allied Italians in the North of the country.  I can’t think of a single division-sized Italian formation under Kesselring’s command in central Italy fighting against the Allies.

• True, after Italy surrendered, it was no more then a poppet state… there so called independent brigades fought partisans instead of the Allies.

So the rule isn’t so bad, looking at history… But seems hard, when you are playinf with a independent Italy player… Rolling for each remaining unit will help solve the pain however. BTW, the newly proposed optional rules seem better at first look… Overall I think really like the game look and rules. (Pre-set entry rules for Russia and the US are fine by me… They should join the game to make it interesting anyway IMO)

• Hi Micoom,
        This is one game that I have not grown bored of. I have been part of the playtesting group for nearly 3 years. Essentially, I have tried to “break” the game or come up with some sort of “master strategy” for both sides and so far I can’t make any claims to this. Once you get a game or 2 under your belt (which really gives you a good feel for the mechanics) and you are playing with others at your same level, the strategies are almost countless. Plus - the game has a very historical feel to it - but this is NOT to say you need to follow historical guidelines to have a successful game. We have had many very interesting and fun ahistorical games.

John

• you chaps want to post a complete game on this forum? I think it would be illuminating for others to see how this game plays out. At the very least it will demonstrate how the game mechanics work.

• I’d like to see it played out. Ive reap some of the games on the boards that Craig Yoper has posted, and It really seemed interesting.

I might be convinced to get a copy, I’d like to expand my strategy gaming past Axis and Allies, Risk, and any rules sets ive thought up. I just dont know where id put something that big, and it seems like It needs a LOT of pieces from many different games, which I dont have.

• This is not true…

if you own milton bradley and revised you can come up with 85% of the units you need. about another 30 bucks on ebay and you will be home

• I dont own the original, but I know somebody who does, and he’s the one Id most likely end up playing this with.  So I guess its not too bad then.

• Sure - we’ll get together a group of images showing an example of how a full game plays out. Stay tuned…

John

• ok good.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m