Which direction in Japan's multi-pronged approach?

• But it is not a single threat.

Germany can divert and go via West Russia.  Japan can divert and go via Kazakh… or just float forces into Africa from Persia.

Add in a few Germans in Karelia, a few Japs in Sinkiang and Yakut, and you have a pretty pickle for Russia… they can easilly counter any ONE or even a couple of smaller threats, but they can’t kill them ALL…

• 2007 AAR League

Juicy targets are along Southern route, including Africa.

• And a Jpan fleet slipping into the Med, along with a couple of German TRN’s being built makes for a NASTY time for the Allies to defend Moscow.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

Japan fleet in Med = American fleet moving into Pac for island hopping, IMHO.  Unless you do it really late in the game (like Turn 8 or later).

• What I think I mght do, if i get Japan, is to plug up the middle and make end runs north and south.  That way, I won’t have to worry (too much) about trading Sink and China, and instead can make Russia come to me through the north, which is a bit harder since tanks have to come farther than just through Novo and into Sink, and mebbe make feints or bigger threats south.  IIIIIttt’s a work in progress. :-D

• My standard strat, subject to change of course based on game conditions, is the following (obviously, assuming allied KGF)-

Build to a total of two ICs and six transports. One IC in India, one in either Kwangtung or FIC (my preference). Once you get to 42+ IPCs, the following efficient and beautiful Japanese chain can be set up- one transport in SZ60, one in SZ61, two in SZ36, two in SZ34 with the rest of the Japanese navy. Each turn the two transports return from SZ36- splitting one inside to SZ61 and one to SZ60. Two infantry are picked up from Japan and dropped in Manchuria, two are picked up and dropped in Buryatia. The two original trannies in SZ60 + 61 pick up four infantry and take them to FIC. This sets up a flow, excluding builds from the factories, of two infantry over the top to keep a steady flow of pressure on Yakut, then Evenki + Novo; of two infantry from Manchuria pushing up the gut through China to hold Sinkiang and combine with the northern forces to harass Novo/ Kazahk; four infantry in FIC push along the southern route to pool in Persia or be used on transports in Africa.

The units built on the ICs would include any artillery being built in India as they are closest to the front, and armor builds in FIC or Kwangtung, depending on where you built it. With the armor builds in the rear, you can choose to go up the middle or push along the south depending on needs. I usually end up with two units (always infantry) over the top, four units (mostly infantry, maybe an artillery now and then) up the gut, and the other eight per turn (mix of inf/art/arm) along the southern route.

What I’ve found to be the most effective is staging in Persia, as it threatens both the Caucasus and Kazahk, as well as controls Transjordan and the southern tip of Africa with navy. Staging in Persia allows the potential to control the suez more easily than a staging in Sinkiang, and therefore the ability to slip into the med to help Germany if needed.

The overall philosophy is that only light infantry forces are needed over the top (two units), slightly heavier up the middle (two to four per turn), and the heaviest along the southern route. The key is that the flow is steady- as switch mentioned some time ago any gaps in the Japanese chain can be exploited by an allied strike that hits and retreats the next turn before they can be countered. The key is to make sure the pressure is continuous. Kill Russians as often as possible on the front, using your superior air power to devastating effect. Four fighters can be staged in SZ34, and two can hit all the way to Novo and trade places with fighters parked in Sinkiang.

There really is no fear of a concentrated attack on Japanese hodings through either the northern or central routes- the further the allies manage to get in either direction the closer they get to Japanese factories and their own destruction. And it’s not in Russia’s best interests to go heavily through the middle- it reverts to US economy not Russian when retaken, and Japan will claim it again before the US collects on it. The top of the board is not worth enough to make a concentrated attack upon. The Japanese player shouldn’t be concerned if they saw it coming.

Finally, the goal should be killing Russia- I’ve fallen into the trap before of slugging it out with the allies in Africa, because it’s so compelling to be able to use two battleship shots per turn and your air superiority. Just be a pest in Africa unless an obvious chance to turn the tide presents itself and hold Africa’s economy- keep using one infantry to take an unguarded territory, or pick targets of opportunity- killing a lone armor that just cleaned up South Africa is a good example.

Any US threat built in the Pacific can be dealt with by swinging part of the navy around, or perhaps building one or two units in SZ60 to protect the chain. The US player will be spinning their wheels unless completely dedicated, which means Europe is being left to Russia and Britain to handle. Which makes Germany happy.

Hope this helps- it’s evolved over quite a few games for me but I use it whenever possible. It’s been pretty effective against good competition.

Forcing Russia to trade in North Asia is pretty good strat for Japan.  It splits Russia’s forces between Russia and Caucasus allieviating a lot of pressure on Germany.  And they trade units for almost worthless land. (1 IPC territories, primarily.)

• Good point Jen, good point.  It seems when I play, I get back-handed whenever I go up the middle, usually because Novo is so close to both Russia and the Cauc, so a few armour and some inf along with airpower comes and strafes me or destroys me.  Going north where only units from Russia can come to play ball works for me.

• Well, you can trade units all over Russia’s front while pooling a large force in Persia with Japan. Forces in the north alone for Japan is way less flexible- no pressure on Kazahk or the Caucasus.

Kazahk is the Russian backside equivalent to W Russia as far as critical territories go. If the Axis gets into either territory in force it makes Russia have to make some unpleasant decisions. Staging Japan in the north allows Russia to defend itself from Russia alone, not both Russia and the Caucasus.

• Allies start 96-70 IPC advantage.

So what can the axis take to even this out, WITHOUT trading.

Aus+NZ+hi = 4
    China+Sink+India+Bury+Yakut+SFE = 10

Take all these, and the axis lead in IPC 84-82.

Now, Africa income makes the axis stronger.

For me, my “way” is dictated by getting “even” on IPC as fast as possible. After the axis break even, its just picking the easiest way, either through china, persia or up north…

• Man, I don’t know what it is but I got burnt AGAIN while playing Japan.  My friend put in a KJF game plan which basically hemmed me in in both the north and south while building up the US sea power.  What really messed me over for the entire game was the VERY FIRST MOVE!!! I got my candy butt handed to me on an orange platter while trying to take China.  I lost 4 inf on the first go and that set the stage for my ability ( or lack thereof) to wage war.  I wasn’t even able to take Sink and only manage to attack it once.  Furthermore, an IIC was set up, and I couldn’t get it because I couldn’t muster enough forces on the ground.

A few other variety of factors messed me up (and over) for the rest of the game, and  :oops: :oops: :cry: :cry: my home got taken away from me b/c of my lack of foresight.  :evil: But I kinda forgot to collect my income so when the US took Japan he only got 2 IPCs of leftover money.  Not too bad but then again, not really good either.  I think I’ll just stay with Germany or grounded countries in the future…

@squirecam:

Allies start 96-70 IPC advantage.

Aus+NZ+hi = 4

For me, my “way” is dictated by getting “even” on IPC as fast as possible. After the axis break even, its just picking the easiest way, either through china, persia or up north…

But don’t forget about the loss of Wrus, Alg, Lib, and Nor.  All should be in Allied hands and “untradeable” at about the same time the Axis take the territories you mention.  Which would make it:
    Axis  77 - Allies 89

I tend to go more for Position over IPC, so I perfer the center for Japan.
    Once you control the center of the board Ukr [Ger] - Sin (Kaz/Novo) [Japan], the IPC’s will come b/c the Allies now have more pressing issues.

• @DarthMaximus:

@squirecam:

Allies start 96-70 IPC advantage.

Aus+NZ+hi = 4

But don’t forget about the loss of Wrus, Alg, Lib, and Nor.  All should be in Allied hands and “untradeable” at about the same time the Axis take the territories you mention.  Which would make it:
    Axis  77 - Allies 89

I tend to go more for Position over IPC, so I perfer the center for Japan.
    Once you control the center of the board Ukr [Ger] - Sin (Kaz/Novo) [Japan], the IPC’s will come b/c the Allies now have more pressing issues.

WRuss I will give you. Germany might be trading Norway if they bought a fleet.

Algeria and Lybia I think will be Axis. I think Germany must continue to grab Africa territories and use Japan to help if needed.

I have to admit, Australia, New Zealand, Madagascar and Hawaii are usually not in my attack plan.  IF it appears feasible without effecting future moves or current needs, I’ll hit them, but usually, I’m more focused on completely obliterating the Allies in Russia then dealing with a few errant islands with Japan.

Now Germany, on the other hand, is a different story.  If I can get Australia with Germany I’ll take it.  Free l3wt.

• @ShadowHAwk:

Australia and NZ can be good locations if you can get there without expending to much troops.
    It is easy IPCs and they wont take it back. Also it cuts away 1 of the allied powers concentrated.

If you focus on 1 power it helps more efficient then on all powers.

Especialy the turn you build an Ic you might not be able to build enough troops to use all 4 trannies if you move 2 south then ( to enforce FIC ) you can take Australia next turn without losing much transport power but cutting in 3 more ipcs from the UK who at that point has verry little IPCs and is losing afrika making it completely dependant on the US to do anything at all.

Sure they’ll take it back . . . but only if it’s a KJF.  I assume this whole thread is pretty much based off a KGF assumption, because otherwise Japan should go inf/fighter turtle.

My typical Aus/NZ/Hawaii plan uses ONE transport, BB support shot(s) and a carrier.  I use the infantry from the southeastern islands to replenish.

Sometimes I can’t afford to go Aus/NZ/Hawaii depending on the India/Ssinkiang situation.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m