• First off, Russia is ABOVE 24 IPC for several turns in most games (West Russia taken and held, Ukraine traded, sometimes Belo also).  And they are slow to lose IPC in the east (1 a turn max, if played correctly)

Germany may have a mass of forces, but they ahve a lot to defend, and on 2 fronts.

If the US and UK staged to SZ12, Germany is risking Norway, Western and Southen for amphib (Algeria already lost, Libya and any otehr Africa gains also at risk).

Of Germany’s starting forces, they lose 6 INF, 2 ART, 2 ARM and a FIG before they ever get to use them (standard West Russia/Ukraine R1).
    If on G1 they do a Western IC AND an AC in the Baltic (to prevent loss of the Baltic Fleet to Allied air before they can even sail to Western), that leaves them $9 for land units.

Against that, Russia is sending the WR stack.

And if Germany turns to face it, the US and UK strike… Western, Navy, or Southern.

And that is BAD for Germany

• @ncscswitch:

First off, Russia is ABOVE 24 IPC for several turns in most games (West Russia taken and held, Ukraine traded, sometimes Belo also).  And they are slow to lose IPC in the east (1 a turn max, if played correctly)

Germany may have a mass of forces, but they ahve a lot to defend, and on 2 fronts.

If the US and UK staged to SZ12, Germany is risking Norway, Western and Southen for amphib (Algeria already lost, Libya and any otehr Africa gains also at risk).

Of Germany’s starting forces, they lose 6 INF, 2 ART, 2 ARM and a FIG before they ever get to use them (standard West Russia/Ukraine R1).
    If on G1 they do a Western IC AND an AC in the Baltic (to prevent loss of the Baltic Fleet to Allied air before they can even sail to Western), that leaves them $9 for land units.

Against that, Russia is sending the WR stack.

And if Germany turns to face it, the US and UK strike… Western, Navy, or Southern.

And that is BAD for Germany

1 - Forget the Western Europe IC. Not part of this discussion.
    2 - Germany will NOT always lose 6 INF 2 ART 2 ARM. What about the bid??? What if a 1-2 INF bid is placed in Ukraine?
    3 - If you count Germany’s losses, you have to count Russia’s too.
    4 - Germany is not going to allow the USA/UK fleet to live.

I thought a few weeks ago we cleared this point up. Germany can merge if it wants to. Which is going to prevent a strike into SE or WE.

Lets begin with this though. Germany has 2 inf bid.

Hypo 1 - 2 inf bid Ukraine
    Hypo 2 - 1 inf UKR, 1 Inf Lybia.

What does your USSR do?

Squirecam

• On Hypo2 I am stillhitting Ukraine.

On Hypo 1, I am probably STILL going to go for it, and have a 90% chance to take it, 97% to kill everything there.

As for teh link… staging to SZ12 as both UK and US will block the link.  It may be expensive, but it blocks the link.

And in my post above, it was as a direct counter to the AC and IC G1 build, which allows Russia to go “medieval” on Germany for several turns.  :mrgreen:

• @ncscswitch:

On Hypo2 I am stillhitting Ukraine.

On Hypo 1, I am probably STILL going to go for it, and have a 90% chance to take it, 97% to kill everything there.

As for teh link… staging to SZ12 as both UK and US will block the link.  It may be expensive, but it blocks the link.

And in my post above, it was as a direct counter to the AC and IC G1 build, which allows Russia to go “medieval” on Germany for several turns.   :mrgreen:

Battle sim says only 70% for allies.

21 vs 19 is not a very big edge.

Squirecam

• @Jennifer:

Attack Borneo with 2 infantry
    Attack New Guinea with 2 infantry

You are daring! Sounds like a great move if it works out, but this has the potential to backfire in a big way. You are 1:3 in each NOT to take the islands(2 inf vs 1), clearing the islands has little to no purpose - the objective is to capture. If you fail on both you have effectively lost Australia, NZ, Africa, India and the UK pacific fleet. All on UK1…

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

You put 1 infantry into Ukraine and Russia still ends up with 2 armor left over.  So I fail to see the need of the extra infantry, really.  If you want to put a bid in Ukraine, put 3 infantry in there and destroy Russia’s chance of taking it.

And yea, the premise is that we’re looking at an AC/IC buy on G1 with one sub a round (or equivalent) into SZ 6/7 to bolster it.

• @Jennifer:

You put 1 infantry into Ukraine and Russia still ends up with 2 armor left over.  So I fail to see the need of the extra infantry, really.  If you want to put a bid in Ukraine, put 3 infantry in there and destroy Russia’s chance of taking it.

That requires a 9 bid. I’m going off a 6 bid. The dice sims I saw said 70% Allies.

2 infantry makes Ukraine a 21 vs 19 fight. With Dice, this is no simple battle. Approximately 1/3 of the time, Germany will “win” this outright or by forcing a russian retreat.

Will people risk a Round ONE attack when 1/3 of the time they will lose?? Perhaps so, but IMHO its not a good idea.

Also, again JHMO, you are better off buying AC + 3 Trans or+2 trans+sub rather than AC+IC.

Squirecam

But Russia can just strafe Ukr, if the first rd of battle goes bad.

I did this against Jen.  She placed 2 inf Bid to Ukr, I attacked with 3 inf, 1 rt, 3 arm, 2 ftrs (I think - basically I sent in all that could reach).

My intention was, to see how the first rd of battle went, if I roll avg or up I continue, if I roll down I retreat my arm and ftrs.

In that case I rolled up and ended up taking Ukr wiping out her bid.

Even if you get Avg dice, you can still choose to retreat to save your tanks.

Are there better alternatives, maybe.  But I think the old strafe attack is underused by many players and can be quite an effective tool in that case.

• A good strafe can decimate a defense that took TURNS to build up, and leave you powerless to respond.

But the purpose of a 2 Infantry bid in Ukraine is to give your fighter half a chance to survive.  6 IPC for 2 Infantry to save a 10 IPC fighter that exponentially increases your first round combat abilities.

Though, I’m begining to think I don’t like the Axis with anything less then 13 IPC.  2 Infantry in Libya, 2 in Ukraine, 1 IPC to Japan.  (I just don’t like leaving her out.)

• @ncscswitch:

It was a hairbrained idea (like the Candian Shield), and like Shield, it had the potential to work if never seen before :-)

But I know too many ways to counter my own hair brained idea for me to put much more than “novelty” as a characterization of it.

1.  “Harebrained”, not “hairbrained”.

2.  Canadian Shield isn’t harebrained.  It lists very specific circumstances under which it may be attempted.  Please read the paper again to inform yourself.

• @newpaintbrush:

@ncscswitch:

It was a hairbrained idea (like the Candian Shield), and like Shield, it had the potential to work if never seen before :-)

But I know too many ways to counter my own hair brained idea for me to put much more than “novelty” as a characterization of it.

2.  Canadian Shield isn’t harebrained.  It lists very specific circumstances under which it may be attempted.  Please read the paper again to inform yourself.

Actually, it is “hairbrained,” not “harebrained” as you suggest.  We aren’t wabbits, you know. :lol:

Yea, I think Canadian shield is a silly notion.  You spend all that time setting up an invasion that America can easily counter, meanwhile you’re getting walked over by the Brits and Russians….

• @General_D.Fox:

Actually, it is “hairbrained,” not “harebrained” as you suggest.  We aren’t wabbits, you know. :lol:

Ooo, according to the online dictionary, they’re BOTH words.  DAGNABBIT!

“Yea, I think Canadian shield is a silly notion.  You spend all that time setting up an invasion that America can easily counter, meanwhile you’re getting walked over by the Brits and Russians….”

It isn’t just a blind attack on America.  There are very specific circumstances that lend themselves to Candian Shield.  The goal is not simply an attack on Washington and/or Los Angeles; there is a secondary objective of delaying any Allied fleet build while the US and UK concentrate on defending Washington.  Allow me to pull an “example rabbit” out of my endless magical hat.

Example:  If you ALWAYS play rock in a game of rock-paper-scissors, that is probably not going to win in the long term.  (Your opponent can just start playing “paper”.)  But if you NEVER use rock, that is not going to work well either (your opponent can always play “scissors”, and assure him/herself of at least a draw).

Canadian Shield is “rock”.  If your opponent played “scissors”, you play “rock”.  If your opponent played “paper”, you do not play “rock”.  If you don’t know what your opponent will play, you could take a chance on “rock”.  Similarly, you will want to try Canadian Shield in some games, and not in other games.

If your opponent played “scissors”, and you SEE the “scissors”, then you can play “rock”.  That is, if the situation is conducive to a successful Canadian Shield, and the Allies are going to be largely helpless to respond because of their poor unit choice and building, you opt for Canadian Shield.

If your opponent played “paper”, and you SEE the “paper”, then you do not play “rock”.  That is, if your opponent did something like building a gigantic Allied fleet very early that could wipe out the German fleet.

Sometimes, you do not know exactly how your opponent is going to respond, so you take a chance on “rock” and hope that your opponent is going to play “scissors” by mistake, or play “rock” incorrectly rather than the optimal “paper”.  That is, in some games it is not clear whether or not Canadian Shield will work well or not, so you take a chance.

• New, you have just done a very extended version of showing that flexibility and adaptability is the key to victory :-)

And I ahve been arguing that here for months :-)  (with a LOT of support from others, very few folks think otherwise)

I actualyl read the paper, and I understand it, and I’m telling you it takes multiple turns to set up and the whole time you are diverting attention from teh real objectives.

If I were the allies and saw you setting this up, I’d let you.  America is more then capable of crushing a joint Germo-Japanese invasion since you KNOW it’ll be 2 turns before reinforcements can arrive.  Especially if America sets up in the correct fashion.

Meanwhile, you are not pressing the Russians hard.  And the British are laughing all the way to the bank.

I could see how lesser players might get critically delayed, and that’s good.  They’ll probably learn something from it.  I know I learn with every loss in this game.  Heck, 3 months ago I’d never played it before and I already have some of the major strategies locked down.

However, I’d love for an axis player to use it on me.  You would delay me 1 round as I clean up and then I’d be back in full swing.  And that’s assuming you successfully took Canada and didn’t die on the shores.

• @Jennifer:

I actualyl read the paper, and I understand it, and I’m telling you it takes multiple turns to set up and the whole time you are diverting attention from teh real objectives

Did you also read Caspian Sub papers 11 and 12?  Because paper 13 is really not a stand-alone paper.

It is not a matter of a “lesser player” falling victim to an Axis attack on U.S.

It is a matter of the Axis using a multiple-threat attack in response to an Allied opening.

• @ncscswitch:

Just be sure to give credit for the concept to the proppe source  :evil:

I hope you don’t think you were the first to think about this strat!  :-D

• Only the first to give voice to it here.  :lol:

The game has existed too long for any strat to be truly original.  You might find a unique twist or refinement, but the core strats have probably all been at least thought of, and I would imagine they have all been tried somewhere by someone many, many times :-)

• I have been itching to try a new strategy for Germany, but have not yet had the chance. It entails purchasing a AC and BB on G1 for the Baltic fleet. Then move the Med fleet to the Gibraltar SZ and stock up Algeria. US and/or UK will have to either commit all of their forces to taking this territory, or otherwise will regroup in England. This opens the door to combining the German fleet on G2. If the Allies do invade Algeria, then having all of Germany’s planes placed in striking distance (like Algeria or WE) could possibly clear out the allied fleet off the coast of Algeria and allow the german fleet to still combine on G1 during Non-Com moves. Sorry i don’t have exact movements of pieces as I have yet to try this, and believe me, I did not forget about Russia. I would then commence to move all of my troops towards Russia, maybe with or without attacking, seeing that I won’t be putting any land forces into the game until the end of G2. Perhaps a defensive stance for a turn or two would hold off Russia long enough to allow me to re-enter the Eastern Front.

Now consider the domination of owning the seas with a german fleet that consists of: 2 BB, AC (loaded), 2 Tran, 3 Sub, DD all combined. I really don’t think that the allied Fleet would be much of a match for this fleet. You could camp it out in front of WE to deter the allies from invading anytime soon, or you could hunt down the allied fleet and suppress any further building. By G4 you could break off your Trannies and send them to Africa.

It definitely goes against the grain of Germany acting fast and furious, but the idea of a combined German fleet chewer is very desirable. What am I missing? Why won’t it work?

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m