• 2007 AAR League

Can ground units use an allied transport to bridge troops?

• Yes. Quoting the Axis & Allies Revised Operations Manual:

Pg30:
    “Carry Land Units: A transport may carry land units belonging to you or friendly powers.”

Pg31:
    Land units belonging to friendly powers must load on their controller’s turn, be carried on your turn, and offload on a later turn of their controller.

• I guess the answer should be “No” then, if by bridging you mean moving from one territory to another in the same turn.

• 2007 AAR League

That’s the question, since you are loading and offloading on the same turn without the transport moving it’s one of those grey areas.

• 2007 AAR League

thats a good question … i can imagine the possibilities with it in Western Europe and Norway  :mrgreen:

• @jsp4563:

That’s the question, since you are loading and offloading on the same turn without the transport moving it’s one of those grey areas.

It’s a definite “no” then, and you can use the same exerpts given by ToySoldier above - only he probably misunderstood your question.

• 2007 AAR League

It still seems a little vauge, since you aren’t having the transport move them to another sea zone.  So it seems you should be able to bridge the troops since you don’t have to wait for the transport to move to the new location.

• Seeing as “no” and “definite no” isn’t enough to convince you, I’ll quote LHTR.  :-P

Transporting Multinational Forces: Transports belong to a friendly power can load and offload your land units. This is a three-step process.
    1. You load your land units aboard the friendly transport on your turn.
    2. The transport’s controller moves it (or not) on that player’s turn.
    3. You offload your land units on your next turn.

• 2007 AAR League

ok, I’m convinced was the “(or not)” actually in the rules or did you add that?

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

I think the (or not) is in the LHTR.

Though, it is kinda troubling that you have to give everyone a turn to shoot at you in the water before you can offload allied troops.  Doesn’t seem fair considering they wouldn’t get that shot if you were sending your own troops….then again, it may be over powering…I hav’t play tested it./

• It is a rule that also prevents double use of TRN’s.

And it prevents the US form just building TRN’s for UK and shipping them to the Channel, while UK just builds land units that bridge via those TRNs (which NEVER happened, nor would it have happened in WWII)

• To get a clarification:

You can bridge YOUR TRN and YOUR Troops (1 pt for TRN to load 1 pt. for TRN to unload) without moving the TRN provided the unit in question has the movement pts available for doing so (like Mech Infantry or Tanks?).

I’m not sure how this is handled with LHTR.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

@ncscswitch:

It is a rule that also prevents double use of TRN’s.

And it prevents the US form just building TRN’s for UK and shipping them to the Channel, while UK just builds land units that bridge via those TRNs (which NEVER happened, nor would it have happened in WWII)

You wouldn’t be able to double them anyway.  Once used they’d be used.

And I understand WHY they made it a rule, I’m just thinking it would be better to use them more like carriers.  I just don’t know how I’d work it so it wouldn’t be over powered.

I mean, even if America built trannies for England, the most England could use would be 4 of them (max they can build is 8 units on England.)

• 2007 AAR League

@Jennifer:

@ncscswitch:

It is a rule that also prevents double use of TRN’s.

You wouldn’t be able to double them anyway.  Once used they’d be used.

And I understand WHY they made it a rule, I’m just thinking it would be better to use them more like carriers.  I just don’t know how I’d work it so it wouldn’t be over powered.

I mean, even if America built trannies for England, the most England could use would be 4 of them (max they can build is 8 units on England.)

True but then Britain could build 8 Infantry and push them into Europe and then America could use the same transport for themselves so Britain wouldn’t have to build any transports and only use americas causing a lot of units into Europe more then if there was this rule.

• @jsp4563:

ok, I’m convinced was the “(or not)” actually in the rules or did you add that?

Heh, no. That’s also part of LHTR, I wouldn’t go about adding my own additions to something I quote.  :-)

• @Jennifer:

Well, try to use this picture:

The US trns shuttled 4 inf, 4 arm from uk to w.europe the previous turn. After dropping off their cargo they’re making their way back across the channel to “port of England”. At UKs turn these trns are in port and can be loaded with british troops, however, they’re refueling and waiting for new combat orders. If the british decide to disembark the same turn they’d fall off the pier and drown. It’s is first when it’s the US’ turn the ships can be moved(treat bridging as a “move” and it becomes evident) over the channel and be unloaded.

• @Sankt:

@jsp4563:

It’s a definite “no” then, and you can use the same exerpts given by ToySoldier above - only he probably misunderstood your question.

Yes… I understand what he’s asking now. Takes 2 turns to “bridge” allied units. The transport could be moved in Combat or NCM but not used to move the country’s units that owned the transport.

• @Yahoshua:

To get a clarification:

You can bridge YOUR TRN and YOUR Troops (1 pt for TRN to load 1 pt. for TRN to unload) without moving the TRN provided the unit in question has the movement pts available for doing so (like Mech Infantry or Tanks?).

I’m not sure how this is handled with LHTR.

You can bridge INF too.

But no unit can move on land before or after being transported.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m