• i have started to play a game on the flames of europe

and i need your help
    my opponent told me that we can use tech if i want

can you tell me about tech…

thank you

• I am the wrong person to ask…

Still mastering the basics.  I figure I’ll be ready for a Tech game this fall…  National Advantages perhaps by Spring :-)

Personally, I would just ignore them and play a traditional no-tech game.  If your opponent goes tech, see what he is rollign for, and then plan a counter (AA guns, extra naval fodder, or whatever is needed to negate or mitigate the effects of that tech).

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

Or get opposing tech.

Tech all comes down to what country you are.  If you’re russia, don’t go for heavy bombers.  If you’re Germany, SS probably arn’t high on your priorities until Moscow’s been pacified.

• is ˝tech˝ another name for the weapons devealopment

• As the Axis you are looking at facing LRA and Heavy Bombers.

That means AA guns are your friend.

Buy one form time to time.  Move them around to keep your stacks covered by one (or more depending on Allied flight paths).

And never ever move forward without major INF stacks to absorb hits, and deal heavy damage to Allied air power.

Always remember that an opponent with a given tech tends to rely VERY heavilly on that tech rather than play a balanced game.  So make that newly won tech their achiles heel…

And yes, Tech is weapons development (from the earlier versions where it was also called Technology Rolls.

• @Amon-Sul:

is ˝tech˝ another name for the weapons devealopment

Yea they are the samething.  Russia I heard is awesome with the rockets tech, its definately worth buying rockets with Russia.  Also for Japan, super subs is good, since they need a potent but cheap navy in case they lose some naval pieces.  I dont know about the other techs.

• so it seems its better to play without it

is there tech on the tournaments

• I have been running the Revised Tournaments without Tech.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

@MechanizedWarfare:

@Amon-Sul:

Yea they are the samething.  Russia I heard is awesome with the rockets tech, its definately worth buying rockets with Russia.  Also for Japan, super subs is good, since they need a potent but cheap navy in case they lose some naval pieces.  I dont know about the other techs.

They still have improved industry?  Cause in classic Russia with improved industry could pump out 12 infantry a round for 24 IPCs…that was a killer technology for them, especially if no one else had any techs.

• Rockets is pretty useless for anyone except Germany and Russia.

Jet Fighters is nice for Japan and America, who generally have at least a few carriers. The boost to fleet defense can be worth it.

Super-Subs is generally nice for Japan and America as well…the only other country likely to mass enough subs for it to be worthwhile is Germany, and if your doing well enough to be building lots of subs as Germany, you probably don’t need the tech.

I highly recommend Long-Range Aircraft for any nation with the cash to spare on tech-rolls, especially for America and Germany. It makes defending Germany from Allied invasion much easier, and aids greatly in America’s efforts in the Pacific (especially when coupled with the “Island Bases” National Advantage)

Combined Bombardment is generally useless, but Japan has a couple National Advantages that might make it worthwhile.

Heavy Bombers are generally not worth the double investment (dice for tech AND bombers), but if your going by the book rules, they can be quite powerful against enemy fleets when used in combination with your own fleet.

• The only tech I don’t like are teh heavy bombers out of the book.  They aren’t as rediculous as they were in classic but they still are overwhelming.  Once I have heavy bombers I just buy infantry and transports.  So if your playing by the book buy them early and buy them often.  Germany on turn 1 with Hvy bombers is just silly.

• @MechanizedWarfare:

@Amon-Sul:

i dont understand

is it possible to play with the weapons development but without tech
    because in the rulebook there is no ˝tech˝word

i have always played with the weapons devealopment but without tech

i have started a game so i would like to clarify to my opponent that i want to play on weapons devealopment but not on tech because i dont even know what it is

thank you in advance

• People use the word tech and weapons development interchangably.  In older versions it was called technology rolls.  In revised it is called weapons development.  But the two are the same.

• ah i see

thanks

• Generally speaking I don’t roll weapons development. If we are just “playing it out” sure but I think IPCs are better spent on units.

Generally:
    If you don’t have Bombers don’t roll for Hvy BMBrs
    If you don’t have  subs don’t roll for super subs.
    et al.

Remember you are buying a chance at improved weapons instead of an ARM. Bird in hand an all that.

On the other hand what the heck? Do you feel lucky?

• Yes, forgive us old farts for using terms from the old Milton Bradley version :-)

• Has anyone tried playing with full techs and NAs enabled? It’s pretty funny. At first the Axis kicks some major ass with those long range luftwaffe dive bomber fighters slaughtering navy all over the board, but it turns around real quick when the Allies’ rockets get rowdy in Berlin and S. Europe  :-P  -21 IPCs per turn on Germany : (

• when i play with my friends on the battle board we play with all six weapons devealopment and with all the national advantages

then you really enjoy playing a game, you have thousands of possibilites but also if you are for example German you really enjoy harrasing with you Panzer Divisions or U-Boats, with Japan your Banzai and Kamikaze are great for you, not to mention Russian Winter and so on…

these how the game is more a game

but without National Advantages (or even without weapons devealopment-which i don´t understand why you remove from tournaments) the game is more ˝a chess˝ than just a game
    but if you want to practice your brain…

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m