More painted pieces for consideration

• Japanese armor

new5.JPG

• the Brits…

new52.JPG
    new39.JPG

• for you history buffs, the u boat 47 that crept in too the british harbor and torpedoed the british battleship royal oak and then snuck back out again!

new48.JPG
    new49.JPG

• new14.JPG
    new15.JPG

• new45.JPG
    new31.JPG

• ju488’s,

new42.JPG

• here’s what me and my A&A buddy look at when the game is all set up Europe side… thanks for taking the time too check these pieces out.

new44.JPG

• '16 Customizer

Again… WOW! Those planes are so sweet! Can you tell me how you did the mounting? I think I might do it as well… it just adds so much the look. Your colors are also really rich looking - what paints do you use?

The magnetic fire markers for the aircraft carriers are a great solution to an annoying problem. How do you fasten the magnets to the ships and the aircraft carriers?

Props man. Thanks for sharing.

• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

JWO, these pictures are sweet. I like the plane going down in flames look. That is just awesome. It looks like an AAA gun took you out. A lot of lost IPC’s, LOL. Even your ships with the damage on them is cool. Those pesky zeros need to be taken out! Good job, my friend! :-D

• Customizer

jwo1984 and others,

@jwo1984:

Just wanted too tip my hat too all the patient artists on here pain staking-ly painting all of their pieces too add to the experience of playing A&A.  Have some to share myself hope some enjoy.  *shout out too “tall paul”  your infantry units are spectacular too look at!

––First off,…nice work! I firmly believe ALL of us A&A gamers appreciate seeing the painted units of others, and it really adds to the “atmosphere” of a game!
    ----If you have happened to notice some of my units,…well then,…I’d say that it has been worth it for me on TWO counts. ONE, that I was able to share some enjoyment with others, and TWO, they seem to have “inspired” you to paint your own units. That gives me a great amount of satisfaction as I enjoy sharing with people, am VERY passionate about railroad & military history, and simply LOVE this game of Axis & Allies,….the best game on earth!

Tall Paul

• @Spitfire38:

Again… WOW! Those planes are so sweet! Can you tell me how you did the mounting? I think I might do it as well… it just adds so much the look. Your colors are also really rich looking - what paints do you use?

The magnetic fire markers for the aircraft carriers are a great solution to an annoying problem. How do you fasten the magnets to the ships and the aircraft carriers?

Props man. Thanks for sharing.

thanks a lot spitfire38, the mounting is a bit of a pain, but I just use a water base woodfiller (timbermate) from work roll it into a ball, then cut up clear plastic strips (from like a juice container) and set it in while the filler is still wet.  the filler dries I hot glue the plastic stand in and sand the bottom of the filler so it sits flat on the table.  They do work great cause they remove the clutter of units in some of the territories.  And you can adjust heights so you can fit a few aircraft in a territory without them bumping!
    The magnets are simple, I just paint the Ac (I use just acrylic craft paints, mix my own colors, and try to paint the pieces as historically accurate as I can) then just use superglue to glue the magnets onto the deck after I use a flat lacquer sheen to seal and protect the painting.  They are playing pieces however so they still get chipped up and damaged, especially the infantry, and the planes lose propellers and atennas lots to my dismay…but they are meant for battling in the end!

• ––First off,…nice work! I firmly believe ALL of us A&A gamers appreciate seeing the painted units of others, and it really adds to the “atmosphere” of a game!
    ----If you have happened to notice some of my units,…well then,…I’d say that it has been worth it for me on TWO counts. ONE, that I was able to share some enjoyment with others, and TWO, they seem to have “inspired” you to paint your own units. That gives me a great amount of satisfaction as I enjoy sharing with people, am VERY passionate about railroad & military history, and simply LOVE this game of Axis & Allies,….the best game on earth!

Tall Paul  Â

much agreed Tall Paul.  I check out your thread now and again looking for new photos of your units.  btw any chance we will see those b29’s you ordered painted up in the near future??  do you have any naval units painted too show and tell?? And are you excited about some of the pieces HBG is coming out with?? the brit expansion set, US set and French! I know I cant wait too paint those p47 jugs and liberty bombers!

• Customizer

@jwo1984:

much agreed Tall Paul.  I check out your thread now and again looking for new photos of your units.
    ––Next time you look at my “ENTIRE SET” thread you’ll notice that I’m listing all of the COMPLETED units on MESSAGE #1 and listing all of the IN PROCESS units on MESSAGE #2.
    btw any chance we will see those b29’s you ordered painted up in the near future??  
    ––Yes, of course,…but they aren’t first in line.
    do you have any naval units painted too show and tell??
    ––Only a few. I have several levels of detail and features, etc. that I will include on my Naval units. Some that have been discussed previously, and others that will be surprises.
    And are you excited about some of the pieces HBG is coming out with??
    ––I’m always excited with ANYTHING/EVERYTHING that HBG produces! ALL of the sets you just listed are great ones, and much needed! I suppose the set that I’m most excited about is the “ISLAND WARFARE” expansion set for GW-39. WOW! I can’t wait!
    the brit expansion setYeah!, US setYeah! and French!Yeah! And the French set will have C-47 “SkyTrain” Air Transports! we can paint these up for almost every nation! I know I cant wait too paint those p47 jugs and liberty bombers!
    ––The Republic P-47 “Jug” is my WW2-veteran Dad’s favorite aircraft of all time. He has literally dozens of stories about the “Jabos”.

––In reference to the B-29 question above,…off the top of my head the order of the next units painted will be:
    All of the Italian Desert Air Force
    3-D Airbases
    3-D Naval bases
    All of the Japanese Army & Navy Air Forces
    Japanese & German Paratroopers, Heavy & Rifle Infantry
    Anzac “Commonwealth” Shermans, P-40’s, and BeauFighters
    Then several American Army & Navy aircraft (too many to list, see the IN PROCESS list in message #2

http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=29550.1

Tall Paul

• ––In reference to the B-29 question above,…off the top of my head the order of the next units painted will be:
    3-D Airbases
    3-D Naval bases

Great Paul thanks for the reply! When you say a entire airforce…how many planes are you painting roughly?? I saw the team warmachine Sherman tank core and my what a number of units!
      What are these 3 D air and naval bases if you don’t mind? are they a shapeways product?  I have some beaufighters, and boomerangs painted aswell, although I’m a little stumped on how to paint the Anzac pv-2 bomber…i cant find many examples in commonwealth colors.  I look forward too seeing yours.  I cant wait to paint these victory city markers ossel is creating…will be a absolute treat too see them on the A&A board!

Some of these are quite impressive. Though I am having a hard time discerning whether some units are GHQ or A&A/HBG plastic. I think the graininess in your earlier photos actually enhanced the effect of realism.

Nice application of the fuzz for smoke on the ICs. Surprised no one had thought of that yet. Seems like it would be problematic at tearing off during gameplay or storage though.

Have you found that nameplates for ships take up too much space on the board?

All that said… how do you store these pieces. Seems like there are a lot of delicate, added details which could very easily break if stored in a traditional box.

• Customizer

@jwo1984:

––In reference to the B-29 question above,…off the top of my head the order of the next units painted will be:
    3-D Airbases
    3-D Naval bases

Great Paul thanks for the reply! When you say a entire airforce…how many planes are you painting roughly??
    ––Well, the Italian DESERT Air Force is small, so: 8-Fighters, 4-Dive Bombers, 4-Medium Bombers,
    4-Heavy Bombers, 4-Air Transports. Also 4-JU-87 “Stuka’s” as there actually was an Italian unit that utilized the German “Stuka”. Like all of the major countries there will also be additional paint schemes to be done later.

I saw the team warmachine Sherman tank core and my what a number of units!
     What are these 3 D air and naval bases if you don’t mind? are they a shapeways product?  
    ––Yes!
    I have some beaufighters, Shapeways BeauFighters?? and boomerangs painted aswell, although I’m a little stumped on how to paint the Anzac pv-2 bomber…i cant find many examples in commonwealth colors.  I look forward too seeing yours.  I cant wait to paint these victory city markers ossel is creating…will be a absolute treat too see them on the A&A board!
    ––I, too, think ossel’s “Victory Cities” will be a GREAT addition to our games. I think they will look especially nice after painting. Just refer to my HBG Minor Factories. These “VC’s” will have even more colors/details!

• @LHoffman:

Some of these are quite impressive. Though I am having a hard time discerning whether some units are GHQ or A&A/HBG plastic. I think the graininess in your earlier photos actually enhanced the effect of realism.

Nice application of the fuzz for smoke on the ICs. Surprised no one had thought of that yet. Seems like it would be problematic at tearing off during gameplay or storage though.

Have you found that nameplates for ships take up too much space on the board?

All that said… how do you store these pieces. Seems like there are a lot of delicate, added details which could very easily break if stored in a traditional box.

yes I apologize for the graininess…I took the pictures with my iphone uploaded them to computer but files were too big for the forum, so I redid it found out finally towards the end how to upload a smaller file size so they don’t zoom in so much and fuzz out all the detail.
      Actually the ic smoke hasn’t torn off yet, its just fluff from my nieces stuff animals and its super light, crazy glue keeps it on.  Some of the cables I glued on the ships and antennas on some of the planes snap off tho…I gave up on continuing with those details but they did look good on the stukas and its rugged design!
      The only places the name plates on the ships clutter are more the Europe side especially british isle as you can imagine, a little bit in and around the med.  But for the pacific side they work great for the japs and americans.  We usually just play with the name plated carriers, I just named a few bb, and cruisers that had some historically legendary battles that’s kinda fun to use and play out when making your attacks.
      I store them all in the original boxes.  And my buddy and I play at least a few times a month so they transport around a lot!  the planes on the stands take up a lot of space in the box, so I usually have to leave some bombers and stuff out…just rotate aircraft in…or which ever camo scheme seems to get the lucky dice rolls lol

• oh and they are all OOB units and HBG

@jwo1984:

oh and they are all OOB units and HBG

Really? Wow. I will have to take another look. Some of those looked far too detailed to be OOB but not like the HBG sculpts. Maybe they just look bigger than they are. Cool though.

• yes…I guess the Italian battleship is a FMG product, which had some great details to brush in, and they are on the HBG website. The Lexington carrier is the wasp class from OOB but I just modified it too try and give it that big distinct centre stack, and cut off the head of a US cruiser for the bridge of the ship.  The radar antennas and cables and all that I scratch built.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m