Larry Harris 1914 Tournament Rules ( "potential rules" using his language)

• Customizer

Yes; Austria leaving Trieste undefended is a common mistake. Usually its the UK who activates Albania with an infantry from Egypt.

Shouldn’t be allowed.

• I think with tt-rules, Russia should go earlier into economical/political collapse maybe with 10/12.

Otherwise its too hard for the CPS to get anything to the west when US-troops arrive in Marseille/Picardie Round 4!!

• Customizer

Or, as I’ve suggested under political rules, link US entry to Russian collapse - Wilson did not want to support one autocratic imperial system against another.

• @Flashman:

Or, as I’ve suggested under political rules, link US entry to Russian collapse - Wilson did not want to support one autocratic imperial system against another.

Yes thats even better.

But wouldn´t the Allied player always retreat his whole Russian army to  activate US?

• Customizer

More of a suggestion than a question, but should the USA really be able to use the port in Wales to offload units from America directly into Picardy?

It seems to me that if using the port-to-port 3 space naval movement, then the transport should be considered to have ended its movement off Wales and should be allowed to offload units only into that land tt.

• Official Q&A

@Flashman:

More of a suggestion than a question, but should the USA really be able to use the port in Wales to offload units from America directly into Picardy?

It seems to me that if using the port-to-port 3 space naval movement, then the transport should be considered to have ended its movement off Wales and should be allowed to offload units only into that land tt.

It is not necessary to end a move at a naval base to move three spaces.  You only have to start at one.

• Customizer

Oops, missed that. Think it should be port-to-port, though.

Anyway, my map suggestion (qv) moves the border of SZ 8/9 to make the USA - Picardy move impossible.

• The PTR-movement Rules bring US-troops much faster to the western front. In fact there were 8 American Infantry units in Picardie in Round 4. And to balance this the Russians were given 6 additional Infantries from the start? PTR should help the screwed CPS more in my opinion. Russia should collapse economically on 9 and politically on 11 I have never seen them fall before Round 5. Or otherwise USA should enter on Turn 6, but thats a no go if you have only some 4 hours for playing this great game.

Other wishes for the PTR:
    Subs were still too weak. I´m missing a German Cruiser near East Africa. ((Switzerland impassable/worth 4IPCs because its impossible to stack more than 4 units with chips in this small space)) Maybe the violation of any neutral brings US one turn earlier (CPs inavde) or one turn later (Entente invades) into war against the CPs.

• Customizer

@Chacmool:

Maybe the violation of any neutral brings US on turn earlier (CPs inavde) or one turn later (Entente invades) into war against the CPs.

I don’t really know why this game departed from the method used in G40, that if a strict neutral was attacked, ALL strict neutrals would then become pro-whoever-didn’t-attack-them. This was a great deterrent to invading strict neutrals like Switzerland, and it makes real-world sense as well.

I would suggest that this simple change be made to the PTR. Imagine if Switzerland was invaded by Germany to widen the front, France could just pop down into Spain and pick up some free units/IPC’s. If France invaded Switzerland, Germany could roll through Holland and pick up some units along the way. Definitely a deterrent.

• On the first turn can my subs in sea zone 7 hit sea zone 9? I would move into sea zone 8 roll the mines there, and then I would move to zone 9 with my remaining sub/subs.

• Just found out that Germany can attack Paris round 4 with up to 85 units. Not so sure the CP’s are at a disadvantage anymore…

• Official Q&A

@theROCmonster:

On the first turn can my subs in sea zone 7 hit sea zone 9? I would move into sea zone 8 roll the mines there, and then I would move to zone 9 with my remaining sub/subs.

No.  Sea units must stop moving upon entering a sea zone containing an active enemy minefield.

• TripleA

What is that like 3 rounds of buy with France income?  Yeah I actually have not thought about that, you buy like all fighters hmm defending might be a problem once you stack up next to it, unless AH moves a unit in for you. hmm

• France at max can have something like 67. UK has to help with at least 2 transports purchased on the first turn. The great thing about Germany’s move is that he can go south and take out Italy or he can take out France. Germany can easily stack in burgundy. There is no way to stop it.

• TripleA

Sounds legit.

• TripleA

This game has issues because there are just too many units on the board to start the game with. It really makes no sense.

• TripleA

I do not understand how Germany got to Africa to begin with, there is no transport for the guy…. so somewhere in history some Germans walked to Africa. @_@

I demand a starting transport for Germany somewhere on the map. It makes sense.

If there were less starting units on the board… players would not attack neutrals whenever they felt like it, there would be actual thought to it.

• I kind of like the flavor of being able to attack neutrals, but I don’t know if I agree with Switzerland being worth 1…

• LOL. What isn’t shown in this version is that Germany had many cruisers outside of the Baltic when WW1 began. If they do another WW1 game I hope they make Africa even smaller and expand the western front. It is a joke right now, IMO.

• TripleA

Why is Africa even a part of this game. It is so troll.  Like how the hell do the axis even get there?!?!? lol.

You do not see Tsingtao on the freaking map. This is already a Europe World War, just make it Europe. Cut Canada and America out too just have the Americans spawn with 2 infantry on a transport with a destroyer every round on a sea mine zone. Bam problem solved. Now German naval might be worthwhile if you can constantly sink 1 destroyer, hey a naval strategy! OMG. UNBELIEVABLE.

Woodrow Wilson would not change his buy. He signed the federal reserve. Bad President is bad.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m