Can USA claim back London, and how long does it take, and is it worth it?

• If done right you can punish Germany by going sealion with a massive US airstrike on German fleet in z110 and land in Eire (or scotland). When you killed the fleet taking London back should be doable with units from canada and bombers/fighters from Eire. Im not saying it works every time… but even if you just force germany to buy a carrier or two from Normandy factory its worth it.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

In the game in question… I very carefully captured Eire and Scotland as the germans. :)

You guys almost had me though… one more round of building up, OR a landing in Spain + subsequent NB, and I would have probably been done.

You’re fleet was just becoming too much to handle.  And the Russians were all over me as it was… it would have bought them another turn.

• @Gargantua:

the -poison pill- bombing of Gibraltar

That move really sucks for the allies post-sealion.

Cow was talking alot of smack until it happend… I think he found it incredibly deflating.

• Tell him alcohol is legal and so much more socially acceptable.
    Never done drugs. Never will.

• TripleA

it is fine if germany doesn’t want to give up london, I probably should have taken the medit fleet to the pacific and strait up race to see if I can clear pacific before the europe win. ah we will see. close game income wise, allies just haven’t commited their unit advantage yet. global is just slow like that, but things will heat up sooner or later. Once allies fall behind on income, then that is it, full steam ahead, got to do it or be in OTKG’s position, which is totally screwed lol. I am sure after a round or two, someone will commit to an all in.

Germany has about the same amount of ships as japan, which is super funny to think about.

Fantasy football is upon us, so you won’t see too much from me, just post n go.

Yea Germany and japan do have a similar amount of ships and planes.

But the only allies with ANY navy (save 2 anzac subs and a trn) are the americans 50% of which is submarines (20 I think?).

Definetly a solid game.  But you’re going to get beat!

• TripleA

This is a very interesting year as far as fantasy picks goes.

Last year I had peyton manning as my 1st round pick and I got screwed so hard.

We might count passing attempts this year… in which case I want to a pick a QB off the bat, which is why I hate counting plays that never amounted to anything. Was leaning toward an RB pick. If I am going with a QB I am basically gambling on getting Peyton Hillis as a 6th or 7th rounder. Ah, we will see.

Yeah, maybe we’ll get beat. Was hoping for an AA gun hit on last japan’s attack of kweichow, but at least my sub killed his sub and tilted his carrier sinking the fighters. Made up for my caroline fleet loss right there.  I was a 40% dog on carolines, but a win or draw would have been big for us and this result was not too bad, mostly because I picked up good kills with my sub.

I probably should have taken that med fleet to the pacific, that would have been more exciting. I basically kept it there to a) convoy b) reclaim london c) pacific.  It has to do one of those things eventually. There is no secret behind it lol.

• '16 '15 '10

To a certain extent, if Germany goes for it on G3 and they get lucky then that’s a very hard situation for Allies to come back from.  But it’s also a risky play for Germany.

Looking at the file of the game with Gargantua (I assume that’s what’s being referred to) I see some mistakes in the way Allies were played.  First off, there’s no Allied bid.  No full scramble G1 in 110, despite a high risk G1.  On UK1, better to buy 9 inf then 6 inf fig.  While the move to 92 on UK1 is understandable and could have broken your way with different dice…there’s also the factor that moving planes away from UK allows Germany to build nothing but transports on G2 and land some stuff in Scotland.  Probably better to build a Gib airbase in that scenario because then you’d have some more fleet to contest the Sea Lion.  With the French fleet taken out, hitting that fleet in 92 is (while high-risk) pretty much a no-brainer for Italy if Germany wants to Sea Lion. Also, not hitting 111 UK1 was a mistake because taking out that bb might have forced Germany to buy a dd G2.

Some weird edits on Turn 1 worked to the advantage of Axis.  On Italy 1 2 planes were edited away from UK into the Med, making Sea Lion more tempting. Then on G2, there’s an edit allowing Germany to land stuff in Scotland/Ireland.

Declaring on Japan UK2 is something I hesitate to criticize, but in this case it was possibly an error.  Hard to say for certain.

As Cow mentioned having the russian sub in position would have helped.

Bombing Gib’s airbase is indeed a clever twist on Sea Lion–will have to remember that one.

Even if Allies did everything I’m suggesting, there’s a good chance Germany takes London on G4 anyway.  But if Germany takes London with less men AND USA is in position to retake London on USA3 (or USA4/usa5, it’s not too late then) then Germany’s victory is anything but certain.

So overall I think there were enough Allied errors that I wouldn’t draw major conclusions about game balance from this one.  Germany definitely has a good shot at London G3 and a less risky shot at London G4, but really determined Allied play ought to make it hard for Germany to win the game this way.

• TripleA

well the edits was to have the same results as before. basically I did redo of every move then edited in the original results to update it to the new triple a map.

sz110, I totally missed round1 no hits. Yeah I could have hit the bb drop the bomber maybe.

• '16 '15 '10

@Veqryn:

And basically, USA has to spending double what Germany is spending to take London.  (cus the USA needs destroyers, carriers, air, and the transports and land units.  While all Germany needs is Subs and some air.)

so…. what gives?

what is the optimal approach to getting london back?

what is the most flexible approach that can still get london back, but can be converted into something else (like convoying Italy, for example) if you need to change plans on the fly?

The approach USA took in the game would have worked if USA had more navy assembled in the Atlantic in the 4th round.

I think the key is to play tight enough that Germany has to sacrifice some of their air to take London.  They shouldn’t be able to take London with a whole lot left over.  And to pressure with Russia with enough force that Germany can’t afford the naval expenditures necessary to hold 110.

If Japan isn’t declaring on J2-J3 USA can put alot of navy into the Atlantic still.  A risky play but potentially fruitful is move the units you bought USA1 in sz10 over to sz89 following the G2 transport buy.

Germany were getting diced hard G1, Sz110 balanced it back to neutral.

Why the allies ONLY scrambled 1 french fighter there is beyond me… And it’s not like the axis hasn’t made their own fair share of mistakes.

there’s no Allied bid

I disagree with the bid comments.  It’s not a mistake, it’s what both parties agree to going in.

The allies biggest mistake was abandoning their pressure on London when they did.

• TripleA

Except doing so meant, I’d give italy egypt, get rolled by japan and be totally out of the game, all for the sake of london.

I mean I bet I could have an easier time taking japan than reclaiming london at that rate lol.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m