• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

A minor in Romania isn’t so bad though, since you are now threatening a run around Ukraine (transports in black sea)

• TripleA

It cracked me up when someone did transports in black sea.

USA bought all bombers after he bought naval in the black sea… to say the least germany got to use his transports 1 time only before those bombers hit. From libya to russia… it was so damn funny.

USA bombers is pretty good in russia after archangel is gone. Can snipe tanks, industrial bomb minors. do lots of cool things. :)

• You’re supposed to build an airbase with the Romania IC.

• 5-6 US bombers don’t care.

• TripleA

usa bombers are like honey badgers. honey badgers don’t care.

• When the axis see a half dozen bombers in French Equatorial Africa they might just throw a carrier in z100.

• You’re absolutely right.
    It gets awfully expensive to keep a few transports in the Black Sea, though.

• The American bombers idea would definitely ratchet up the arms race.  That z100 scenario is always expensive and slooowwww, but it does work.  It forces Russia to defend on two fronts.  I like it with Italy taking Greece round 1 and building the airbase round 2.  The best part is the same planes that hammer away at Russian territories along the black sea also provide double scramble cover for z97.  You never know, the carrier might even be useful in the endgame if axis go through Turkey to Cairo.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

@Vance:

You’re supposed to build an airbase with the Romania IC.

Correct.  Besides, seeing a round or even two of American bombers makes it all that much more enjoyable.  Sure, you’ll lose the fleet in SZ 100, but you’ll bag at least 4 or 5 bombers if you set up correctly.

• TripleA

how is that good for germany to see bombers take out his naval? you get like 1 or 2 drops in before usa slams it… that sets you back from the VC win… with the naval and air lost there and the cost of the airbase is enough mech to just have shoved down there anyway.

Not to mention bombers take 1 round to get in position then it hits… it is the fastest way for USA to have an impact. bombers hitting stuff is fast and furious in an otherwise slow process.

there is no infrastructure required for bombers either. you just buy one beer and GO, epic winning, it is bi winning. who needs to drop men to trade ipcs with germany/italy? when you can just blast their stuff in the ocean?

Romania minor is ok for ground units. the naval and airbase is not going to pay for itself.

how many rounds can you get swinging at russia with just carrier 2 transports? and say you pull your air back before the bombers hit? I’ll give you round 1 place romania round 2 drop the 3 naval pieces (30 ipc and + airbase cost which is not really lost and has somewhat a tactical advantage from there… but it can be bombed later).  Anyway caucasus is worth 7 so you would need a good 4 rounds of drops to pay for itself in theory.

trying to defend it is a dumb idea, you’ll typically lose even more out of it and it stalls you from taking russia and reduces threat levels from axis on sz 97.

not to mention bombers are up there in optimal buys for USA anyway. they do lots of things and can switch fronts pretty fast. plus if you shove 7 bombers at 2 tanks, you break even in terms of IPC (1 bomber for 2 tank).

Giving usa a reason to give russia the ability to call in an airstrike on whatever he could not get to… iz not like a good outcome for axis.

It is like call of duty man, spetnaz will air strike the flag and cap it. Allies get gangsta like that when you throw naval down in the black sea.

Trust me, someone did this to me and bombers own. In all fairness I like having some bombers around… mmm munch that naval.

usually bombers are a part of my opener because usually people like to sea lion feint… if they do go through with sea lion I can at least rest assure that japan won’t declare war or 4 bombers fly into uk. Before 3.9 bombers just increased the casualties of germany in taking uk, now it just too much fodder for germany so it actually delays japan if germany wants to go through with it.

if I see a romania IC early on and no naval buy in the baltic… I’ll only have a couple bombers. if naval is bought in the baltic I’ll still get 3 bombers and a couple dds and a carrier.  It’s the typical reaction from usa. bombers can hit naval up top and land in belarus. 3 bombers layin around is never bad either it can hit an italian fleet that moves out. or industrial bomb an airbase before uk attacks italy fleet so no scramble. or bombers can just strafe italian guys between algeria and egypt… so all russia has to do is blitz a tank through tobruk and that other spot for +7 russia.

bombers are good units to have for usa. I don’t see how they are bad.

Russia’s NO has changed so that bombers are more optimal to have so you can just blast all that stuff and clear it out for russia if there is nothing better for them to do.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m