• Hey guy, I think Artillery should Bombard just like Battleships do. Let me give you an example: There is an Amphibious Assault and there is a sea battle first and there is 2 artillery in the island, they should do a first-strike in the sea battle. What do you guys think?

• Sponsor

@The:

Hey guy, I think Artillery should Bombard just like Battleships do. Let me give you an example: There is an Amphibious Assault and there is a sea battle first and there is 2 artillery in the island, they should do a first-strike in the sea battle. What do you guys think?

Go to the house rules forum.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

LOL that would be a disaster…

OH my 8 artillery devestate your navy!

• A 4 IPC unit with an attack strength of 2 in a naval battle does seem way too good. Perhaps 3 artillery together can make one roll for bombardment. Now it is 12 IPCs that give you an extra attack at 2.

If there was an impending amphibious assault, would the artillery get to participate in the naval portion, and then in the land portion if the naval defense failed? What is the best course of action here.

• '12

155 MM artillery pieces are 6" guns, that’s pretty much an anti-aircraft gun on a cruiser or battleship.  6" field artillery pieces really don’t compare to the guns of a cruiser or battleship.

• Artillery units in A&A represent 105mm/155mm mobil gun types that fire high explosive rounds indirect fire. These type guns are of no value against ships. They have no armor piercing rounds, and even the largest of these would not penatrate the armor of a battleship.

If you want to represent costal defense system you would need a unique new unit. Something like the blockhouse units in A&A D-Day would be the equivalent.

In reality though only Atlantic Wall had a significant amount of these type of guns that could actually make any difference (yet they did no damage to the invading fleet), small islands in the pacific had nothing that could hurt ships.

Kim

• Actually, when I get D-Day, I’m going to work Blockhouses into it.

Sealion just got much harder.

• Well, thanks for committing because the last time I checked, this page had only my commit. Thanks so much!

• What about a house rule in which they could “bombard” enemy units in an adjacent land territory, with the enemy only able to return fire with their own artillery? I think that would make artillery a lot more useful, as in my experience nobody ever buys artillery… Ever.

Seems like it would be pretty balanced… Thoughts?

• @Lord:

What about a house rule in which they could “bombard” enemy units in an adjacent land territory, with the enemy only able to return fire with their own artillery? I think that would make artillery a lot more useful, as in my experience nobody ever buys artillery… Ever.

Seems like it would be pretty balanced… Thoughts?

I think your crazy.

Artillery are extremely useful units IMO

Think of it this way, 1 tank cost 6 IPC and attacks on a roll of 3 or less.
    An artillery/Infantry combo cost 7 IPC (only one more than a tank) attacks on 2 rolls of 2 or less (roughly equal to 1 roll of 4) and you have 2 units instead of 1. So more power and more units at only slightly higher cost = more efficient.
    In comparison a tank/infantry combo has the same attacking power of a artillery/infantry combo and the same number of units, but cost 2 more IPCs

Historically artillery in WWII could not even remotely come close to the range your talking about.

And no it would not be balanced.
    The game is pretty great as is, in my opinion.

• I like artillery. I think making them bombard would be a bad idea, and that they’re fine now.

• Customizer

In the Guadalcanal game, they have a rule where artillery pieces on islands can take a shot at ships in the adjacent sea zone. I thought that was kind of a stretch because of the reasons stated above – basically that field artillery pieces didn’t generally have the range or firepower to hurt warships and they used the wrong kind of ammo.
    Then again, Guadalcanal does a lot of things differently than in the regular A&A games.

• And you make a point: in Guadalcanal, artillery are strange in that you can bombard into the sea.
    In D-Day, attacking a neighboring is a special card. This is TACTICAL, and it’s a stretch.

In a STRATEGIC battle like in 1942 or even 1940, this wouldn’t have a big enough impact.

• '14

In a strategic game; how about giving the naval bases (cost 15ipc ) a roll against ships during an amphibious assault. After the naval shore bombardment the naval base gets to fire one die at each ship, like AA roll. This would add more usefulness to the naval bases an make an opposing player think again on how to take a zone by amphibious assaults!

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m