• @Gargantua:

I have a friend who does this, but he purchases only tanks until after moscow falls. He doesn’t beleive in infantry and is very 1 unit minded in all the countries he plays. That being said, moscow usually falls, and it is extremely hard to stop as he has stacks of 3-6 tanks in every territory in the west.

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL.

2 infantry >  1 tank  everytime.

Your friend is a fool.  You should crush him!

Yes but I never get the opprotunity to play Russia. Our usual Russian player never buys just inf in moscow. The one game he did, after he got like 30 inf he switched to arty and had like 40-50+units in moscow but attacked a small german force with 6 inf 6 arty, but germany just bypassed it and attacked. He was left with one tank, Russia took Moscow back, but Germany had like 15 extra tanks in range. It was a disaster.

• Re: the inf. vs. tnk issue.

IMHO inf. are only better weapons if 1. you need hits to be absorbed
    2. you aren’t attacking anytime soon
    3. for transport efficiency

• Infantry are good for the defense of capitols or importatant territories because you can get a mass of them easily in one place. I’d rather deal with 3 tanks than 6 inf because I have to get that many more hits to destroy the infantry.

• The game I’m running right now (hopefully finish tonight) the German/Italian player did a strict Barbarossa after conquering France and the results (in the Atlantic at least) were awesome.  Granted, there were a few odd factors, like.

-British Med fleet making a run for the Pacific
    -Getting Advanced Artillery on G2, effectively making the mass infantry stacks in the East a LOT more dangerous on the offensive.
    -Italy effectively assassinating Brit income in Africa/Mid-East.
    -Very successful Battle of Britain on G2 (trading fighter for fighter and rolling a 5 and 6 with both strat bombers against the factory)

As far as buys and deployment, the German left a sizable armored force (~5 tanks) supported by infantry and artillery in France with some small infantry stacks along Normandy/Holland supplemented with all of his fighters.  In the East it was all Tanks/Mech infantry builds (I think he may have bought a tac bomber too)
    As for the operation itself, the kick off wound up being G4 and there was probably some crazy luck with that too (in the massive initial attacks the Germans lost only three infantry).  Afterward it was a matter of steamrolling armored forces across Russia until Moscow fell.

The war on my front (Japan) has been an absolute shambles though, despite conquering Calcutta…

• ATrain,

Your German strat sounds a lot like one I’m trying to do except I’m hoping to pull Barbarossa on G3. That Advanced Artillery tech is a lucky roll, but I think a tech roll or 2 G2 isn’t a bad idea.

As for the Battle of Britain, IMHO the new SBR rules make it a must. By my G2, I had poured full damage on all facilities except for airbase Scotland.

• If anyone can do it……
    YG’s the man!

• I would like to see my friend play against one of you guys because he pulls it off every time.

• Also remember that if you attack Russia, you are giving them a NO (archangel) and taking one away from Germany (trade with Russia).  In order to justify this 10 IPC swing, your attack had better be doing lots of damage. Its hard to sustain the momentum that early with Germany, so you will likely have to wait for reinforcements anyway, so I would just wait until you can get a real attack going.  The territories that are only worth 1 IPC aren’t worth losing the NO for.

• '10

@otahere34:

I would like to see my friend play against one of you guys because he pulls it off every time.

Tell him to come and play here at aa.org. We’ll take care of him ! :-D

• The answer to your question is an emphatic yes. Barbarossa is not only viable, it is a winning strategy when pursued wisely, and is a freakin’ blast to boot.

Gargantua is right - 2 Infantry is better than a single Armor, all things being equal. But! Germany is a monster when they commit to 1 - 2 Armor per turn starting G2 (along with 8 - 10 Infantry as well). Do the math… by G6 or G7, when things are just starting to heat up, Germany can have an armored force of 15-20 Armor, making life very hard for Russia.

• I think artillery a better choice early against Soviet. They boost your infs attack and have desent defence. When I reach moscow I rather roll 25 hits at 2 than 30 hits at one.

If you loose some inf you can always build mecanized to boost the artillery. Tanks is not very cost effective, they should not be bought to early, only for the last push. (besides germany has plenty of tanks)

• That’s true unless you park a sub up in 125…and that’s DEFINITELY a good investment.

As for the trade, you’ll be able to rush Leningrad really quickly and then Archangel falls without contest.

I see your point here @USS Nevada, but I think you can handle that.

• Regardless of the decision–Sealion or Barbarossa–the key is simple: Strategic bombing runs. Build bombers early as the Germans, and commit to SBR for as long as you can.

In the West, London is close enough that you can use your fighters and tacs as cover. In the East, Russia cannot afford to build enough fighters for an effective defense (if they attempt this, you will roll over them on the ground).

As the SBR rules are currently designed, SBR’s are an ace-in-the-hole for Germany.

• @Jercules:

Regardless of the decision–Sealion or Barbarossa–the key is simple: Strategic bombing runs. Build bombers early as the Germans, and commit to SBR for as long as you can.

In the West, London is close enough that you can use your fighters and tacs as cover. In the East, Russia cannot afford to build enough fighters for an effective defense (if they attempt this, you will roll over them on the ground).

As the SBR rules are currently designed, SBR’s are an ace-in-the-hole for Germany.

SBR UK while pushing into Russia?  You can make it prohibitively expensive for the UK to place units with SBR on G2-G5.  Of course, you have to consider replacing units as inevitably you will be losing aircraft.

• I agree that SBR’s are key. I do SBR’s on Britain and by G2 they’re usually completely damaged. It does help if you get rockets G1…

• If you’re not going for Sealion, what good does SBRing London do?
    What would UK build there?
    Ships get placed in SZ 106, far away from German air + subs, and land forces that are sent against Italy are placed in either Saf or maybe an IC in the middle east.

UK might place planes in London, but that’s once in a while.
    If I were UK and Germany was keen on bombing me but not on Sealion, I’d just let him do it and lose planes to AA.

• I’m playing Axis. In turn 1 purchase was Inf, Trans, Sub. All Uk/France naval units where destroyed in the Atlantic. The UK also lost 1 fighter that scrambled. Germany lost 1 Sub , 4 Fighter , 3 Tac. and damage to the BB. France and Normandy also fell victim. Germany reinforced the western boarders. Russia turn 1 purchased Inf, Arty, Armor. They have pulled off the front and are poising for multi prong counter attack.  MORE to follow

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

Germany lost 1 Sub , 4 Fighter , 3 Tac. and damage to the BB

Dude…. that’s REALLY bad news for Germany.

• @Alsch91:

If you’re not going for Sealion, what good does SBRing London do?
    What would UK build there?
    Ships get placed in SZ 106, far away from German air + subs, and land forces that are sent against Italy are placed in either Saf or maybe an IC in the middle east.

UK might place planes in London, but that’s once in a while.
    If I were UK and Germany was keen on bombing me but not on Sealion, I’d just let him do it and lose planes to AA.

It prevents UK from building up a fleet off of its own coast, forces them to repair damage if they want to use their naval base/airbase (especially key when it comes to scrambling), or IC’s. This, coupled with subs raiding convoys, will drag Britain down to nothing but what they can put up in Africa/the Mideast.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m