United Kingdom #1

Purchase new units = $28

6 infantry
    1 fighter

Purchase new units = $17

4 infantry
    1 AA gun

Combat movements

Attack 96 with 1 aircraft carrier and all 3 air units (land Gibraltar fighter on carrier, rest on Egypt)

Attack subs in 110 with destroyer and all air craft

Non-combat movements

Move cruiser from 91 into 94

Move cruiser and destroyer from 98 into 99

Move transport into 96, pick up AA gun and infantry. Move to 81, drop in Egypt.

Move destroyer from 71 to 81

Move cruiser and destroyer from 39 into 76

Move battleship from 37 into 78

Move 1 infantry and 1 mec infantry from Egypt and 1 tank from Alexandria to Anglo Egypt Sudan

Move 1 infantry and 1 artillery from Alexandria to Egypt

Move 2 infantry from south Africa to Rhodesia

Transport 2 infantry from India to Celebes

Fly India aircraft to Madagascar

Fly Burma fighter to India

Move Canadian forces east

Transport Canadian infantry and tank to London

Block Gibraltar with destroyer

Transport infantry to Gibraltar

Fly bomber and fighter to Gibraltar fly 2 fighters back to London

move 1 infantry from west India to eastern Persia

Move 1 infantry and 1 artillery from India to west India

Place all new units on respective capitals

Collect $33 for London
    Collect $20 for Calcutta

• Sponsor

United States #1

Purchase new units - $52

1 Battleship
    2 Aircraft carriers

Non-combat movements-

All ships from 10 go to 26 (transport carries 1 infantry and I artillery)

All ships from 101 go to 28 (transport carries I infantry and I artillery)

All ships from 35 go to 54

Fighter from Philippines flys to Guam

Western US fighter flys to Hawaii

Central US bomber flys to Hawaii

All remaining land units move toward eastern USA

All AA guns move into central USA

Place new units -

All 3 new units into sea zone 10

Collect income - $52

• Sponsor

United States #2

Purchase new units- $52

1 Cruiser
    3 Bombers
    1 Infantry
    $1 Back

Non-combat movement

Move everything from Hawaii and 26 into 54

Move everything in 10 and 28 into 26 or 30 if safer.

Move infantry from central US into eastern US

Fly all fighters from Guam and Hawaii onto carriers

Place new units-

Place 1 infantry on Eastern US and place cruiser in 101

Place all 3 bombers in western US

Collect income = $52 + $1 = $53

• Sponsor

United States #3

Purchase new units = $53

1 aircraft carrier
    3 transports
    2 destroyers

Non-combat movement-

Move everything from hawaii and 26 (or 30) to 54

Fly all bombers to either Wake, Guam
    or Johnson Island

Place new units-

All units into 101 (fly fighter from eastern US onto carrier)

Flip minor factories into majors

Collect income = $77

• Sponsor

United States #4

Purchase new units- $77

1 battleship
    1 aircraft carrier
    1 fighter
    1 tac bomber
    1 cruiser
    1 destroyer

Place new units-

Place all new units in 10

Collect income = $77

• Keep in mind that most probably USA will have lost the Phillipines by turn 3.

• @special:

Keep in mind that most probably USA will have lost the Phillipines by turn 3.

Well, that depends on who you are playing against.

• Sponsor

@special:

I’m not worried, by the moment the Americans enter the war, they are in exellent position to defend the Phillipines, or retake it from their Queensland position. Either way, their pacific fleet with incoming bombers, can sink the vast majority of the Japaneese fleet with attacking values before Japan can threaten Calcutta. They can be just as formidable defending with all those carriers and fighters, as well as the Midway bombers mopping up next turn. It’s better than stacking in Hawaii, and being out of position in regards to any southern offensive by the Japs, IMO.

• How do you defend a J2 attack? It seems with your fleet split between Hawaii and Queensland JPN could easily crush 1 of the 2 US fleets, assuming the JPNese fleet was based in the Carolines

And I might be missing something, but why leave a juicy target of 3 bombers undefended on Wake, Guam or Johnston? JPN would probably risk a lot to destroy those, if in range (in my experience, they usually are, with aircraft)

• Sponsor

@Piet:

How do you defend a J2 attack? It seems with your fleet split between Hawaii and Queensland JPN could easily crush 1 of the 2 US fleets, assuming the JPNese fleet was based in the Carolines

And I might be missing something, but why leave a juicy target of 3 bombers undefended on Wake, Guam or Johnston? JPN would probably risk a lot to destroy those, if in range (in my experience, they usually are, with aircraft).

Great, because if the Japanese attack the United States J2, that means America will collect $70 and flip their minors into majors an entire round earlier, and have the ability to attack two rounds earlier, not to mention, using the US fleet to sink Jap ships which IMO, is the whole point of the American Pacific fleet (even in a defense role). As for the bombers, they would of course, position themselves in a way that can’t be reached by enemy units, but be in range to hit vital areas when needed.

• @Young:

@special:

I’m not worried, by the moment the Americans enter the war, they are in exellent position to defend the Phillipines, or retake it from their Queensland position. Either way, their pacific fleet with incoming bombers, can sink the vast majority of the Japaneese fleet with attacking values before Japan can threaten Calcutta. They can be just as formidable defending with all those carriers and fighters, as well as the Midway bombers mopping up next turn. It’s better than stacking in Hawaii, and being out of position in regards to any southern offensive by the Japs, IMO.

i just mentioned it for the IPC values, wasn’t worried ;)

But… i don’t see how you can ‘easily’ get Manilla back since it is deep within enemy territory. every single Japanese ship is within reach + a huge air force also probably in reach of SZ35. That early US fleet is a sitting duck!

• the problem with your US strat is that Japan is that my japan is building at least 6-8 ships a turn from J3 on. How do you account for this with you building a majority of capital ships or expensive units?

• the biggest problem with building bombers is that bombers can’t hold a sea zone. Say you want to hold in hawaii, you are missing out on 36 dollars worth of sea units that could be there defending hawaii. That is 6 subs.

• Sponsor

My philosophy on America’s purpose in the Pacific is 100% sink every Japanese ship with whatever means possible, meaning I don’t care if I lose ships as long as I’m sinking Jap ships in the process. By the time the US is legally able to enter the war, they will have a fleet that matches the Jap fleet in size and strength, and sitting in a sea zone that can not only reach the Philippines, but many important sea zones in the south Pacific (once the naval base in Queensland becomes active). The bombers purchased is to maximize the threat of the fleet in SZ#54, because I am counting on my opponent keeping the US out of the war as long as possible like he always does, therefore limiting my purchases to 3 units per minor IC. Once the smoke clears and all my ships and bombers are gone, Japan might have 2 damaged battleships left if they were lucky in battle. Thats when I build more ships, only this time I have $77 (income + NOs, and yes I will have the Philippines) and a major IC in San Francisco. I’m not interested in holding sea zones, I’m interested in engaging the enemy fleet, so I will keep building ships, because I have more money, and Japan will never achieve their victory condition without ships. My advice is, don’t get emotionally attached to your American ships, they exist for one purpose…… landing on Japanese ships at the bottom of the Ocean.

United States #5

Purchase new units- $77

1 aircraft carrier
    2 fighters
    2 destroyers
    1 cruiser
    1 transport
    2 infantry

Place new units-

Place all boats in 10 and land units in Western US

United States #6

Purchase new units- $77

5 - Destroyers
    5 - Submarines

1 - Infantry
    1 - Artillery

Place new units-

Place all boats in 10 and land units in Eastern US

• I can definitely see the logic in that argument Grasshopper. America using its advantage in income to fight a war of attrition with Japan over naval production (the most expensive units in the game) will always cripple Japan as obviously America can always make good any loss.

Now, my question is this, with America following this plan and spending large sums of money in the pacific, what is the impact going to be on the Euro-Axis? Will the focus on Japan delay American involvment in Europe give them(axis) time to finish off the Soviets before the full weight of America can be brought to bare? Or, is the thinking that with the US concentrating on Japan, the UK India will focus more of its forces against the Euro-Axis to pick up some of the slack?

• What you aren’t seeing grasshopper is that while america would have surpassed Japans original fleet I will be building 6-8 ships a turn. How now do you think you are going to compete when youare buying transports and bombers? I would just station Japans fleet in a place where I could counter attack anywhere you went since you don’t have any staying power. Right now in my current game I have 13 subs 3 destroyers and 1 carrier more than my starting fleet on J5. What now?

• Sponsor

@Clyde85:

I can definitely see the logic in that argument Grasshopper. America using its advantage in income to fight a war of attrition with Japan over naval production (the most expensive units in the game) will always cripple Japan as obviously America can always make good any loss.

Now, my question is this, with America following this plan and spending large sums of money in the pacific, what is the impact going to be on the Euro-Axis? Will the focus on Japan delay American involvment in Europe give them(axis) time to finish off the Soviets before the full weight of America can be brought to bare? Or, is the thinking that with the US concentrating on Japan, the UK India will focus more of its forces against the Euro-Axis to pick up some of the slack?

You are correct, My plan with America is to obviously wipe out the Japanese navy, but after that is done, the US will not shift toward a European campaign entirely. Instead, they will continue to produce ships in the Pacific, however, the strategy will shift from combat to convoys. In the blue print above, you will see a small force of American units that will enter the Mediterranean to offer support in late rounds (1 aircraft carrier with 1 fighter, 1 cruiser, 2 destroyers and 3 full transports). Also, if you look at the blue print for the UK, you will see a very aggressive campaign against Italy in early rounds, this includes all warships from the Indian Ocean and aircraft. With the immediate support in the south Pacific from the US, the IC in Calcutta can be largely used in the fight against Italy, and the support of Russia.

• @theROCmonster:

What you aren’t seeing grasshopper is that while america would have surpassed Japans original fleet I will be building 6-8 ships a turn. How now do you think you are going to compete when youare buying transports and bombers? I would just station Japans fleet in a place where I could counter attack anywhere you went since you don’t have any staying power. Right now in my current game I have 13 subs 3 destroyers and 1 carrier more than my starting fleet on J5. What now?

I think you’re missing his point. He dosnt care if you attack his fleets, all he is trying to do is inflict casualties on the Japanese naval (and some limited air) forces. As long as he sinks 1 surface ship then he has reduced the overall number of Japanese surface ships, which will coast Japan more to replace as they dont (nor would they have at any time) the 80IPC income that the US does. Its a simple battle of attrition strategy that also seeks to hamper Japans economic growth at the same time.

• Sponsor

@theROCmonster:

What you aren’t seeing grasshopper is that while america would have surpassed Japans original fleet I will be building 6-8 ships a turn. How now do you think you are going to compete when youare buying transports and bombers? I would just station Japans fleet in a place where I could counter attack anywhere you went since you don’t have any staying power. Right now in my current game I have 13 subs 3 destroyers and 1 carrier more than my starting fleet on J5. What now?

As america, I would more than welcome a naval war of attrition with Japan. The transports I am deploying in the Pacific, I didn’t buy…. I started the game with them, besides, they are needed to regain the Philippines or retake other Islands in the south. The bombers attack at 4 (great for mopping up after big battles), and with 8 friendly air bases I wouldn’t call them a poor purchase. Also, if your buying so many ships as Japan, that will definitely take the pressure off the mainland China and Calcutta, if that happens… American has accomplished its goal IMO.

As for putting boats in the water, look at my US turns #5 & #6, and imagine that happening for the rest of the game. I’m not saying there is no answer for it, I’m saying that its pretty scary for Japan.

• Im wondering if when ROCmonster says ships he means subs? because I dont see what other kinds of ships Japan will be buying in such large numbers.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m