• So I have tried taking Gibraltar with the Germans G2, The Americans take it US3, then I counter attack the Americans with the Italians I3, and then the US takes it for good US5. Any thoughts, or is it just doomed.

• Well, I have not tried it yet, but I would try taking it by the second turn, not with Germany but with Italy. Buy a transport or two more, and fill them.
    Now I HAVE tried this, and it worked:

Turn 1:
    Germany buys 3 transports, and fills them (this includes the one it starts with) with an Infantry and a Tank.
    Germany sinks UK’s navy, at least the navy that starts in the North Sea. On Germany’s Non-Combat, they land of their aircraft, on Holland/Netherlands.
    Italy buys a transport, and an Infantry. On it’s Non-Combat phase, it moves a tank to Northern, or Southern Italy, along with an Infantry (probably the one you bought)

Turn 2:
    Germany - invades United Kingdom, using all it’s airforce, navy and fully-loaded transports. Now when you get hit (depending on how bad) I suggest taking a fighter off, because as I’m sure you know, a tac-bomber attacks at a 4 teamed up with a tank.
    IF you succeed, in taking UK, it will force UK to bring their Aircraft Carrier, and other navy from Gibralter up to UK’s mainland. I’m not sure if that’s what your opponent would do, but I’m assuming he will move away from Gibralter, to get ready for a counter-attack.
    Italy - takes their navy, and whatever transports w/ units that can reach it, to Gibralter. This usually works, depending on how many units UK has in Gibralter. But they’ll be so focused on taking back their mainland, they’ll forget about Gibralter for a little bit.

Then I usually start a transport-train going down to Cairo, to take Africa. But I can understand if other distractions come up.

Hope this helps!

~MadPup~

• '10

@MadPup77:

Turn 2:
    Germany - invades United Kingdom

This was fun with OOB, but you might have to forget it with Alpha…

• @Axisplaya:

@MadPup77:

Turn 2:
    Germany - invades United Kingdom

This was fun with OOB, but you might have to forget it with Alpha…

Ah, see I don’t use Alpha.  :-P

So if you use alpha ThomasJefferson, I guess you can discard my reply.

• '10

@ThomasJefferson:

So I have tried taking Gibraltar with the Germans G2, The Americans take it US3, then I counter attack the Americans with the Italians I3, and then the US takes it for good US5. Any thoughts, or is it just doomed.

I think taking a territory (with the intent of keeping it) that can be reached by the US in one turn is just a sweet dream for the axis.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

How bad do you want to hold it TFJ?

You could try an invasion of True Neutrals, and build airbases in Spain/Portugal for scramble.  OR  You could attack Morocco, and put an airbase there.

keep some fodder in the area - subs or something,  forces america to build attack ships instead of transports, and that’s the KEY element.

Remember to match the American committment if you want to hold it,  either by matching them ship for ship,  Ipc for IPC  (40-50 a turn likely), or at best, Man for man.  Remember, thier navy means NOTHING if they have no units to unload with.

• Lets just say that I need to figure something out because with the Alpha2 games I play all that happens is the Americans stack up transports and come guns a blazing into the Mediterranean and knock italy out. At this point Germany has to divert attention from Russia and try to take back italy. It simply is not good.

• Gargantua is right–the money has to be spent on navy to match the American committment. A good way to make this manageable is to have Japan play in a manner that forces the US to spend lots of IPCs in the Pacific.

One way to do this early is to put a large navy with some amphib capability at Caroline. Even if it is a feint, the Americans may feel pressured into spending money and keeping assets west in order to retake Hawaii if necessary. It all depends on the opponent, but whatever it takes to convince the US player to mobilize in the Pacific makes holding Gibraltar easier.

My opponent is pretty skillful at taking and holding Gibraltar with the Axis. He buys a carrier and des on G1, taking Gib if possible on G2. On G3, he likes to back up the navy up to SZ 105 to get out of range of the US coast–while buying and placing 3 capital ships (BB/CV) in SZ 105 on the same turn. (An AB in Normandy would add to the stronghold, haven’t played Alpha 2 yet) This force has seriously delayed the US from advancing in past games, and from 105 it can reach the protected areas of the Med and the Baltic in the event that Germany decides to back down from the naval arms race.

Of course, it costs a lot of IPCs, but the results are quite nice. The UK is seriously weakened in the Med and Africa without the US presence, and German subs can blockade UK almost at will in the early rounds.

• So in this case do you obviously hunker down play defensive v. Russia right?

• '10

@ThomasJefferson:

So in this case do you obviously hunker down play defensive v. Russia right?

If you are on the defensive in Russia… You have already lost.

• '10

@FieldMarshalGames:

@ThomasJefferson:

Thats for sure!

• @Fishmoto37:

@FieldMarshalGames:

@ThomasJefferson:

Thats for sure!

This is very true! Always be on the offensive with Russia. But know how to play your cards.  :wink:

• I recently played a game where I rushed to gibralter through Spain. I also attacked Turkey and Sweden with Germany. I eventually lost the game though. However, the decision to invade true neutrals was out of desperation as the axis were already in trouble, so I believe that if you build your strategy based on taking these neutrals as opposed to doing it on a whim, the axis can turn it to their advantage. So many more options become available with the geographical positions of these neutrals. That’s just my 2 cents.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m