• I just want to make sure I got this right.

The US is not permitted to “activate” Brazil by landing an infantryman there before turn 4, right?  There is a rule that says you can not move a US ship within an ocean zone next to Europe or Africa, but it doesn’t say they can’t move down by Brazil.  I just figured they can’t act as an Allied country, activating neytrals, until they are officially at war, right?

FWIW, this is an awesome game.  I think I will enjoy this much more than AAP40.  AAG40 is going to be really long though.  I hope I can find enough folks to play.

• Official Q&A

@dinosaur:

I just figured they can’t act as an Allied country, activating neytrals, until they are officially at war, right?

Correct.

@dinosaur:

FWIW, this is an awesome game.

We’re glad you like it!

• If you are clever, let UK activate Brazil, then the 3 inf will come in play much earlyer, and so will the Brazilian IPC’s.
    This may make a difference in Africa, man

• @Razor:

If you are clever, let UK activate Brazil, then the 3 inf will come in play much earlyer, and so will the Brazilian IPC’s.
    This may make a difference in Africa, man

UK usually brings only 1 Transport, so the other 3 inf just sit in Brazil for the rest of the game.

• @calvinhobbesliker:

UK usually brings only 1 Transport, so the other 3 inf just sit in Brazil for the rest of the game.

Bring one infantry to activate it and shuttle all four over to Africa.

• @McMan:

@calvinhobbesliker:

Bring one infantry to activate it and shuttle all four over to Africa.

Where does the UK get the 2nd transport?

• @dinosaur:

I just want to make sure I got this right.

The US is not permitted to “activate” Brazil by landing an infantryman there before turn 4, right?  There is a rule that says you can not move a US ship within an ocean zone next to Europe or Africa, but it doesn’t say they can’t move down by Brazil.  I just figured they can’t act as an Allied country, activating neytrals, until they are officially at war, right?

FWIW, this is an awesome game.  I think I will enjoy this much more than AAP40.  AAG40 is going to be really long though.  I hope I can find enough folks to play.

What is FWIW?

• For what it’s worth

• oh, lol!  I thought it was some new, awesome game that I hadn’t heard about…. haha

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

Calvin, they just use the same transport twice!

Same thing with ANZAC, + 2 goes a long way…

• That wastes 2 turns to get the transport back. That’s why it’s better for the US to take it(unless the UK really needs the money)

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

Well, it also gives you 3 extra inf, plus the inf you start with, IN Africa.  Not a bad idea…  Or you can go further south with it, to the factory there,  Certainly gives your force mobility, whereas early in the game, your transport off the coast of england is dead anyways.

• True, but usually it’s the Canadian transport that lands units on or near Brazil.

• @Krieghund:

@dinosaur:

I just figured they can’t act as an Allied country, activating neytrals, until they are officially at war, right?

Correct.

How does this jive with this section of the Pacific FAQ as Brazil is a Pro-Allies country, hence activation does not involve combat as noted below?

"Special Comments and Clarifications Related to Neutral Powers The United States begins the game neutral and is initially not considered part of the Allies, though it does have Allied sympathies…
    …In addition to these restrictions, when not at war the United States may not attack neutral territories."

a. it’s Pacific and Europe is different… deal with it?
    b. since it’s not considered part of the Allies until the end of round 3, it would actually require combat for the US to activate Brazil, and this is not allowed?
    or 3.  something else?

Had a scrap in our last game about this.  We have usually allowed this with both USSR and USA, but tonight the Axis didn’t want to. Someone said they read around here it was ok for USSR and so it should apply cross-wise, but we couldn’t find that post or errata as yet.

• Official Q&A

The answer is “a”, Pacific and Europe are different.  The difference is that there are no pro-Allied territories on the Pacific map, so there’s no need to prevent the US from claiming them before it’s at war.  In the Europe and Global rules, neutral powers may not enter neutral territories of any type.

• beauty, thanks Krieg!

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m