Ok just brought this and we're all confused lol, plz lend some advice

• Hey guys im currently serving in afghan and a bunch of this brought  Axis & Allies Anniversary 40th Edition to pass the time when we are not working, at the moment we are getting 1 move a night lol but it seams quite good.

The problems we are having is no one fully understands the rules, i think it is because we are used to playing risk.

If it is possible would anyone like to chip in a few answers for us.

ok here we go.

1, fighter attacks infantry and misses infantry rolls a hit  and the fighter is removed from the game, is that right?

2, When attacking defending, you are rolling against your self to score a hit not the other person?  so if yuo both score under 2 you both take hits and are both removed from the game.

3, when attacking countries you are only allowed to attack from 1 country at a time? for instance say one country is attacking the country oppsite it i have to wait for that battle to end before i can blitz tanks through my friendly country before i can join the attack.

4, If a submarine is submerged can it still attack submerged?

5, say you have 3 tanks and a fighter, fighting against 2 infantry and a tank and yuo miss with the fighter but the tank hits, is it the defender who decides what peice is hit or the attacker?

6, how does the strict neutral, friendly neutral and unfriendly neutral work?

7, if a person leaves a country with no peices and an apposing country on his movement turn enters that country, does the country then become the new owners country.

8, Can a plane land at an opposing countrys airbase if that country is unoccupied? and take that county as his own.

9, also do ships have the capability to defend against air or is it just a one way battle, (not including carriers who have planes on board)

10, when a transtport is used is that the end of both turns or is the transport then allowed to move accross the board and then waits for the next turn to unload.  Or can it during the combat phase move into waters and then unload via an amphibiuous attack?

Any of these would be great, at the moment we spend 3 hours playing and 1 hour of that is arguing lol.

Cheers Guys

Kingy

• Glad to help out our service men. This is not an official answer I just have 20+ years of experience. I’ll type the answer in your quotes to make it easy.

@kingymech:

Hey guys im currently serving in afghan and a bunch of this brought  Axis & Allies Anniversary 40th Edition to pass the time when we are not working, at the moment we are getting 1 move a night lol but it seams quite good.

The problems we are having is no one fully understands the rules, i think it is because we are used to playing risk.

If it is possible would anyone like to chip in a few answers for us.

ok here we go.

1, fighter attacks infantry and misses infantry rolls a hit  and the fighter is removed from the game, is that right?

Each unit fires with the attacker rolling first, the defender choosing casualties and then the defenders roll to see if they hit…after 1 round remove the units that were hit. Yes the fighter is removed. Note they could have both been hit as each unit fires. (exception is subs during surprise strike, see rules)

2, When attacking defending, you are rolling against your self to score a hit not the other person?  so if yuo both score under 2 you both take hits and are both removed from the game.

Yes

3, when attacking countries you are only allowed to attack from 1 country at a time? for instance say one country is attacking the country oppsite it i have to wait for that battle to end before i can blitz tanks through my friendly country before i can join the attack.

No, move all units during combat move, after all units that you want to move have moved, begin combat phase. This is done by picking a battle and resolving it completely before choosing the next battle to resolve. You have to resolve a sea battle before its respective amphibious assault. In short, each piece on the board that can move and you want to move, moves into an enemy territory for combat. Once you are done moving, do all combats one at a time.

4, If a submarine is submerged can it still attack submerged?

No, it either stays and fights or runs (submerges). It cannot submerge if an enemy Destroyer is part of the attacking force. If it rolls a die it cannot submerge until the next round. So you choose before rolling a die for it.

5, say you have 3 tanks and a fighter, fighting against 2 infantry and a tank and yuo miss with the fighter but the tank hits, is it the defender who decides what peice is hit or the attacker?

The attacker rolls his hits, then the defender assigns what hits he has taken to his units, then he rolls his hits and the attacker chooses to assign hits to his units. The only time the attack chooses, is if two country’s units are defending and they can’t choose. Remember air units cannot hit subs without a destroyer on their side, and subs can never assign hits to an air unit.

6, how does the strict neutral, friendly neutral and unfriendly neutral work?

If the neutral is on your side (pro allies if you are allies in this example), you move in during non combat, increase your countries production and get the number of infantry printed as free units to place on that territory. If the neutral is pro axis and you are allied, then you move in during combat, fight that many infantry (the number printed on the territory) and if you win, increase your production based on the value of the zone. If you lose, place the surviving infantry on that territory (pick a color, does not matter which pieces you use) those men will become infantry for the axis player that moves in first in this example. If it is true neutral, you have just declared war on all true neutrals, they band together and join the side of your opponent by becoming pro axis if you are allies, or pro allies if you are axis…this is handled as above when you move into them.

7, if a person leaves a country with no peices and an apposing country on his movement turn enters that country, does the country then become the new owners country.

If the country is enemy controlled yes, if it is your allies no. If it is your allies territory that has an enemy control marker on it and your ally does not have a capital you can temporarily take control until that capital is liberated.

8, Can a plane land at an opposing countrys airbase if that country is unoccupied? and take that county as his own.

Nope, just like in real life, you need boots on the ground. You can only capture territory (and then use their structures on your next turn) with land units. Ships and air units do not capture land territories.

9, also do ships have the capability to defend against air or is it just a one way battle, (not including carriers who have planes on board)

Just like in world war II, ships and planes can certainly mix it up. Remember subs as above they are an exception, but every unit gets to roll its combat dice to determine hits…air units are nice cause they can help in land or sea. Otherwise its just another combat. Attacker rolls at attack values, defender rolls at his defending values…remove hits, and continue until the attacker retreats or wins.

10, when a transtport is used is that the end of both turns or is the transport then allowed to move accross the board and then waits for the next turn to unload.  Or can it during the combat phase move into waters and then unload via an amphibiuous attack?

Transports only move during the combat phase if they are conducting an amphibious assault. Remember the units it picks up, do not move on their own, they forgo movement to be transported instead. After a transport unloads, its turn ends. Meaning it drops off in one territory and may not move anymore regardless of which phase it moves. Also a transport may move up to 2 spaces, picking up its limit as it goes and can then unload once (1 or 2 units) to end its movement. Units may stay on board, but that is risky. Transports sink with their cargo when destroyed while loaded.

Any of these would be great, at the moment we spend 3 hours playing and 1 hour of that is arguing lol.

Cheers Guys

Kingy

I responded in red, feel free to ask me anything. Its the least I can do for you guys.

• sweet, thank you very much for all the help and time you put in to clear it up for us.

but ,what the hell are convoy markers lol.

Also if you attack a strict neutral do you then place markers on all the strict neutrals showing which side they are on.

For the research tree, i take it its 5 points per dice, and then you roll again to decide what part of the tree you are on, can you learn all parts? or can you just pay 5 points again roll a 6 and learn the 2nd tree or do you have to learn all 6 of the 1st tree before u can move on.

• @kingymech:

sweet, thank you very much for all the help and time you put in to clear it up for us.

but ,what the hell are convoy markers lol.

They are a game mechanic that lets you disrupt the money from territories next to a convoy marker. This is disrupted by enemy ships occupying the sea zone containing a convoy marker. Surface vessels(excludes transports) subtract 1 IPC for each ship, subs subtract 2 IPCs for each sub. This occurs on a country’s collect income phase, when collecting money you subtract the amount disrupted by the enemy fleet. You may only lose as much money as the territory is worth. A 4 IPC territory would only allow you to lose 4 IPCs from convoy raids. Examples: Germany places 4 subs in sz 109 (London + Scotland are affected), UK collects 29 dollars minus 2 for Scotland (1 of the subs) and minus 6 for United Kingdom (the other 3 subs). Note it is possible for 1 Japanese sub to deny Alaskas IPCs on the US turn and the UK-India capital 1 IPC from British Columbia on the UKs turn as each country checks on their collect phase.  China is immune from shipping losses, as they are a land locked country regardless of convoy zones I believe.

Also if you attack a strict neutral do you then place markers on all the strict neutrals showing which side they are on.

You can, if it makes it easy to keep tract of. The other side does not get the income or free men until they take control of it by moving land units in during non combat.

For the research tree, i take it its 5 points per dice, and then you roll again to decide what part of the tree you are on, can you learn all parts? or can you just pay 5 points again roll a 6 and learn the 2nd tree or do you have to learn all 6 of the 1st tree before u can move on.

Roll as many dice as you purchased for this round. If you succeed you choose which chart to roll on to determine the breakthrough. Note, I believe you only get 1 breakthrough per turn. If you roll a breakthrough you already have, re-roll until you get one that you do not have.

Also I just noticed, you posted in the Anniversary Edition forum, it would be better in the future to select one of the AA40 forums. Just keep asking your questions here if you like, I’ll answer as soon as I can.

The rules for Pacific 1940(AAP40 as there was another AApacific in the 90’s) and Europe 1940 (AAE40) play the same. Note playing both games side by side is called Global 1940 and is referred to as AAG40. This latest series of AA is by far the most complex and enjoyable to date. You hopefully will enjoy this more then Risk, once you get used to the rules.

Again, I responded within the quotes to make it easy on myself. Red text is my answer.

• '16 '15 '10

Not sure if the discussion is referring to AA50 (anniversary) or Global.

Here are links to PDFs of the rulebooks…hope that’s helpful.

For AA50
    http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=ah/prod/axisanniv

For Pac 1940 (same rules as Euro 1940)
    http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=ah/prod/Pacific

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m