College Football is finally here.

• @Wilson2:

@ABWorsham:

@skinny1:

Go Big Red!!! Nebraska Cornhuskers.

The Big 12 will be a joke the next few years without Nebraska.

Nebraska? Who are they? I don’t think the Big 12 will be a joke as long as UT stays in. I am not a UT fan, but they are a good team. The only joke about it is that they only 10 now.  :lol:

Is UT University of Texas or Tennessee?

• Penn State!

I’m also looking forward to my personal favorite game of the year: the Army Navy game (go Navy!)

• '10

Notre Dame is the ONE. Go Irish. Maybe they now have a coach!

• @ABWorsham:

@skinny1:

@ABWorsham:

@skinny1:

I saw that you live in Texas. What does Texas think about Nebraska’s move to the Big 10 next year?

I thought Nebraska was the team that made the Big 12 North. The conference was one of the top three, next year it will be below average. Did I hear that the conference championship is also gone next year for the Big 12?

I have not heard that.
    @Wilson2:

@ABWorsham:

@skinny1:

Nebraska? Who are they?

They are the team that won 3 National Championships in 4 years back in the 90s. I know its been a long time but we had some really bad coaching choices and now that Tom Osborne is the AD and we have a great coaching staff, NU will be back on the top. One prediction on ESPN has NU winning the National Championship this year. I would love that to happen but with injuries on the defense already I am not counting on it. Maybe next year. I hope that the guy from ESPN is correct though.  :-D

• A conference must have 12 teams in order to have a conference championship game. With Colorado and Nebraska both jumping ship for the Pac-10 and Big 10 the Big 12 will need to entice some new members or give up their conf. championship game.

• @Wilson2:

@ABWorsham:

@skinny1:

Nebraska? Who are they? I don’t think the Big 12 will be a joke as long as UT stays in. I am not a UT fan, but they are a good team. The only joke about it is that they only 10 now.  :lol:

The Big 12- UT, OU and the powder puffs. Nebraska is an iconic team, that departure has collasped the the Big 12 north and south division.

• I like Pro Football more than College, but if a college playoff system was in place, college would be better than the NFL.

• @ABWorsham:

I like Pro Football more than College, but if a college playoff system was in place, college would be better than the NFL.

I agree completely.

• Time for some balance here :-)

Miami native, born and raised on Biscayne Bay, and proud alumni of the University of Miami.

It’s all about The U!

Go 'Canes!

Not to many people realize this - the much vaunted University of Miami is an absolutely tiny private school (around 9000 undergrad), and I can about throw a baseball from one end of our campus to the other.

That being said, we are rivals with monstrous public state schools and regularly wipe the floor with them. It’s fun being the little guy with the big stick!

• @skinny1:

@ABWorsham:

I like Pro Football more than College, but if a college playoff system was in place, college would be better than the NFL.

I agree completely.

And then college ball would just be NFL lite where everything is all about the post season. No thanks.

@calvinhobbesliker:

@Wilson2:

@ABWorsham:

@skinny1:

Nebraska? Who are they? I don’t think the Big 12 will be a joke as long as UT stays in. I am not a UT fan, but they are a good team. The only joke about it is that they only 10 now.  :lol:

Generally University of Texas, I don’t think I’ve heard it used as University of Tennessee…

Speaking of Texas, Go Frogs! TCU is going to crush Mountain West this year, and Boise doesn’t stand a chance if we see them in a Bowl.

• @frimmel:

@skinny1:

@ABWorsham:

I agree completely.

And then college ball would just be NFL lite where everything is all about the post season. No thanks.

Isn’t it already? Before the season starts there is a ranking of the top 25. One thing that irritates me is when people say they like college football because the kids play for the love of the game and it’s not about money. Please. The college kids play hoping to get into the NFL to make money. Everything in sports is about money and a playoff system in college football would have the 2 best teams playing for the championship besides a computer program setting the bowl games. And speaking of college bowl games, having as many as there are is like giving all the little league teams a trophy just for playing. It just doesn’t make any sense. Ok, I am done ranting now.

• Plus, I hate the “top 25” preseason rankings because they mean a lot (in terms of final ranking) and suck butt.

Does anyone really think the Florida Gators are a top 10 team right now? Maybe in a couple weeks - but not Now!

• @reloader-1:

Plus, I hate the “top 25” preseason rankings because they mean a lot (in terms of final ranking) and suck butt.

Does anyone really think the Florida Gators are a top 10 team right now? Maybe in a couple weeks - but not Now!

The system is broken. The BCS needs to be done away with and a new system put in it’s place.

• @skinny1:

@reloader-1:

Plus, I hate the “top 25” preseason rankings because they mean a lot (in terms of final ranking) and suck butt.

The system is broken. The BCS needs to be done away with and a new system put in it’s place.

See the BCS is not broken any more than the National Champion has ever been. The Div. I-A Champion has always been ‘mythical.’ Before the BCS it was determined by a vote now it is at least “settled on the field” after a bunch of votes.

In the old bowl system number 1 could never have to play number 2 and could become National Champion. Then the BCS system came along and created a way in the old bowl structure for number 1 to play number 2 in one of the Big 4 bowl games (Rose, Sugar, Orange, Fiesta.) Then they added another separate championship game which gave two additional teams a shot at one of the big money bowls.

And the BCS rankings which are the ones that count for the BCS don’t come out till October after conference play begins so while it is a factor it isn’t really important that Florida is ‘ranked to high.’

I don’t want to see this sort of thing in college ball.

• @Guerrilla:

@calvinhobbesliker:

@Wilson2:

@ABWorsham:

@skinny1:

Nebraska? Who are they? I don’t think the Big 12 will be a joke as long as UT stays in. I am not a UT fan, but they are a good team. The only joke about it is that they only 10 now.  :lol:

Generally University of Texas, I don’t think I’ve heard it used as University of Tennessee…

Speaking of Texas, Go Frogs! TCU is going to crush Mountain West this year, and Boise doesn’t stand a chance if we see them in a Bowl.

My impression from the TCU and Boise games weas that Boise would win the game between the two teams.

I don’t want to see them play again in a bowl. I see that as an easy exit for the BCS. THe BCS system does not want TCU or Boise as a national champion.

• TCU and Boise need to play the sort of schedule an SEC or Big Ten team does. Boise’s next toughest oppoenent is Oregon State a middle of the pack Pac-10 team in their ‘up’ years and then Fresno State.

Ohio State will play three or four Oregon States/Fresno States in Purdue, Illinois, TSUN and Minnesota who also play teams like New Mexico St and Toledo as warm-ups. They’ll play at least two teams at least as tough as Va. Tech out of Wisconsin, Iowa and Penn State plus an OOC game with Miami who is at least as good as Va. Tech.

A team like Ohio State gets blasted for scheduling ‘cupcake’ warm up games like Toledo and New Mexico State. But Boise is going to play an entire schedule of them and will deserve a shot at the title? Really?

• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

@frimmel:

A team like Ohio State gets blasted for scheduling ‘cupcake’ warm up games like Toledo and New Mexico State. But Boise is going to play an entire schedule of them and will deserve a shot at the title? Really?

I totally agree. And I also agree that playoffs in College ball are a bad idea. It would become like NFL if that were the case. I love college football more than nearly anything, but I just would not want to see them playin through December and January, it just doesn’t seem right.

And so what if the majority of teams go to a bowl game? I think that the players and the coaches still know they have failed if they have not lived up to expectaions or done their best by getting into a more prestigious bowl. I really like the system as it is. Speaking of which, with Nebraska entering the Big Ten, I hear we are getting a Big Ten Championship game…. which is a terrible idea in my opinion. The Big Ten has never had one and I don’t think they should… it is a Big 12 - SEC thing that seems perfect for them, but not for us. Can you imagine an end of the season Michigan - Ohio State game in late November… and then the possibility that in certain years they may play again the following week for the Big Ten Chanmpionship? … No… to me it doesn’t seem right.

Frimmel has been good at bringing facts and figures to this argument, whereas I am simply speaking from the heart as someone who likes the way things are.

• @frimmel:

@skinny1:

@ABWorsham:

I agree completely.

Unlike the joke that it is now, with sometimes baffling decisions as to who gets to play where. :roll:

• @frimmel:

That is why a playoff system would work. Boise would not make it through the playoffs to get to the National Championship if all they played were cupcake teams and were not really good to begin with.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m