• @Krieghund:

@bennyboyg:

I was also at Gencon, and literally just got back home. The new game is fantastic, I was able to play both Global and Europe versions. I’m not sure if I saw you there, but I was the one playing as the Soviets during the liberation of Scotland.

You were there on Saturday, right in front of the HQ table?  Larry and I watched that game for a while, off and on.  It was interesting.

I played Global on Thursday morning around 10, and that was when it happened. I asked Larry if he had ever seen that before, and he said he hadn’t, so I was pretty proud of myself haha. I also awkwardly asked if I could take a picture with him too, which I was super pumped about.

• Official Q&A

Hmmm.  That’s odd.  I believe there were Soviet units in Scotland during the game we were observing on Saturday, as well.  Perhaps you’ve started a trend…

• Yeah, making Soviet Transports/Ships is becoming a viable strategy as there’s only so much you can do with your massive stacks of infantry waiting to counterattack the Germans.

• @MEGAEINSTEIN:

I feel by the posts and the information that was released about aae40 and aap40 that aag40 may be the best game ever.

One question, the italian fleet is in this game more powerful than the british fleet, but was not all the way around in 1940?

I had the idea that the british fleet was by far the mos powerful.

U.K                      vs.  Italy
    6 destroyers                1 destroyer
    5 cruisers                    2 cruisers
    5 transports                  2 transports
    3 battleships                1 battleships
    1 AC w/ tac bomber      0 AC

…granted most of the U.K. fleet will be sunk on G1, but I also bet about 1/2 the Italian fleet will be sunk on UK1.  Brits are definitely more scattered with diverse objectives, while the Italians are concentrated with a singular objective.

• @panzerjager:

@MEGAEINSTEIN:

I feel by the posts and the information that was released about aae40 and aap40 that aag40 may be the best game ever.

One question, the italian fleet is in this game more powerful than the british fleet, but was not all the way around in 1940?

I had the idea that the british fleet was by far the mos powerful.

U.K                      vs.  Italy
    6 destroyers                1 destroyer
    5 cruisers                    2 cruisers
    5 transports                  2 transports
    3 battleships                1 battleships
    1 AC w/ tac bomber      0 AC

…granted most of the U.K. fleet will be sunk on G1, but I also bet about 1/2 the Italian fleet will be sunk on UK1.  Brits are definitely more scattered with diverse objectives, while the Italians are concentrated with a singular objective.

Both times I played, at least, the British were in no position to assault the Italian Navy, and tried to consolidate the remnants of their navy around England, as they only start off with a few land units to defend London.

• @cminke:

What exactly are the political situation between russia and japan. Who can declare war and when?

Each can declare war with the other at any time.

krieg does this mean the ussr can attack japan before turn 4?

1.  USSR and Japan start off not at war.

2.  They may declare war on each other on any round they choose.

3. Their war doesn’t affect anyone’s else neutrality.

• @panzerjager:

@cminke:

What exactly are the political situation between russia and japan. Who can declare war and when?

So basically they start at war.

• basically. Wow.

• @Wilson2:

@panzerjager:

@cminke:

So basically they start at war.

Basically ANZAC and Italy are in war.

• @Krieghund:

Hmmm.  That’s odd.  I believe there were Soviet units in Scotland during the game we were observing on Saturday, as well.  Perhaps you’ve started a trend…

A trend was started, I must of watched bennyboys scotland attack on thursday and then I repeated it on Saturday. I was the kid with the mohawk and glasses.

A Soviet navy and Soviet troops in England seems like a good idea until its turn four and the german army is poised to take Leningrad :lol:.

• @Emperor_Taiki:

@Krieghund:

Hmmm.  That’s odd.  I believe there were Soviet units in Scotland during the game we were observing on Saturday, as well.  Perhaps you’ve started a trend…

A trend was started, I must of watched bennyboys scotland attack on thursday and then I repeated it on Saturday. I was the kid with the mohawk and glasses.

A Soviet navy and Soviet troops in England seems like a good idea until its turn four and the german army is poised to take Leningrad :lol:.

See though I had placed only one infantry in each border territory, so when he did finally attack, I lost only one infantry and then counterattacked with my huge armies and aircraft that were now in range. It completely took the German aircraft out of the question, and was the main reason we had to call the game a draw by the end. I was able to continue reinforcing Scotland, and also beat the Germans on the Eastern front, all while America was starting to bring reinforcements in. The Germans had to divide their income between holding on to England and reinforcing the Eastern Front, which was quickly collapsing.

• Customizer

Bennygoyg,

Can you verify that Emperor_Taiki’s Global National Objectives are accurate? were there any that were forgotten? I expected to see more than one USA NO, and also remember Larry mentioning a soviet NO that discouraged Allied troops in the Soviet Union. Any clarifications you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

• the NO for being at war is on the condition that the soviets have control of archangel and that there are no other allied troops in the Soviet Union.

• So the UK is now the punching bag it was, just trying to hold on until its big allies join in the fight. I think the UK list of priorities will look something like this in most games:

1. Stop the German from taking UK
    2. Contain the Italians
    3. Be a speed bump for and a thorn in the side on the Japanese

Might be the “duels” playing out in the game, UK against Italy, Germany against Russia and the US against the Japanese.

Im really looking forward to this now!

• @Dany:

So the UK is now the punching bag it was, just trying to hold on until its big allies join in the fight.

This is what I hoped for.  I also hope for two other things:

1. Sea Lion should be a threat, but only if UK fails to take it seriously.
    2. UK being spread so thin means that Germany can flood the Atlantic with U-boats

• I agree, I am really looking forward to playing the UK in the global game. Sea Lion will be a threat, i think a G3 sea lion will be very hard to stop for the UK. I also think there is a lot more potencial subs in this game, as long as the German controls Denmark they are 100 % safe in the Baltic.

• '10

@bennyboyg:

Yeah, making Soviet Transports/Ships is becoming a viable strategy as there’s only so much you can do with your massive stacks of infantry waiting to counterattack the Germans.

This strategy only sucseed, cause the german player concentrated on England and operation sea lion. But this will not be usefull for a global victory.

How you said… Russia will be too strong if the german player do not concentrate on the eastern front. …and this is more important, because italian forces can’t go throug the bosporus/turkish strait.

If you place your red hordes in the second line you can save Russia only for 1 or 2 turn more. You can’t counterattack without tanks and artillery, and these are the troops the german player should go for with Stukas, Messerschmitts and Tiger Tanks.

Oh…by the way. Thanks for this interesting report! :-)

• I can’t immagine that a viable Soviet strategy would be to have one infantry in your border territories, with your main forces waiting to counter-attack. What if the Soviet player did this, and then the german player decided to only attack with 2 infantry and a bunch of aircraft. You would ony have 1 maybe 2 infantry to counter attack for yourself

• @mohare6:

I can’t immagine that a viable Soviet strategy would be to have one infantry in your border territories, with your main forces waiting to counter-attack. What if the Soviet player did this, and then the german player decided to only attack with 2 infantry and a bunch of aircraft. You would ony have 1 maybe 2 infantry to counter attack for yourself

Then the Russian attacks with just 2 inf and air. I would think that that would be a good trade for the Russian as their income is intact.

• @Bob_A_Mickelson:

Bennygoyg,

Can you verify that Emperor_Taiki’s Global National Objectives are accurate? were there any that were forgotten? I expected to see more than one USA NO, and also remember Larry mentioning a soviet NO that discouraged Allied troops in the Soviet Union. Any clarifications you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Yeah, they were all correct. With the Soviet being at war one, they also have to have control of both Seazone 125 and Archangel in order to get it. When you just play Europe, there are a few more bonuses for each country, but I can’t remember them exactly.@Dany:

@mohare6:

I can’t immagine that a viable Soviet strategy would be to have one infantry in your border territories, with your main forces waiting to counter-attack. What if the Soviet player did this, and then the german player decided to only attack with 2 infantry and a bunch of aircraft. You would ony have 1 maybe 2 infantry to counter attack for yourself

Then the Russian attacks with just 2 inf and air. I would think that that would be a good trade for the Russian as their income is intact.

Yeah, having one Russian inf in each border territory completely nullifies the German Airforce and lets you gain a significant advantage against the Germans, as if they launch a full scale invasion you can easily push them back.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m