@calvinhobbesliker:

@Dylan:

@Frontovik:

1812 war?
    and which civil war??

You should know about the War of 1812
    The US one.

Why should he know? He may not be from the US, UK, or Canada

I thought that was like a war you know, like Napoleonic Wars, World war I and stuff. oh well

Arguably, the war of 1812 was part of the Napoleonic Wars, as it distracted Britian from France

Well why did they the Russians (and others,) could do most of it, like all they did from there was take Spain, I think.

Which was VERY important as it tied down troops from Russia

Other things Britain did:
    Blockaded France
    Destoryed French/Spanish fleets at Trafalgar
    Destroyed the Danish Fleet
    Helped the Turks push Napoleon out of Egypt and Syria
    Won the Battle of Waterloo, with Prussian help

Waterloo, well Austria, Russia, and Sweden also fought.

No they didn’t. It was the Brits, the Prussians, and some Dutch and other German states

• @calvinhobbesliker:

@Dylan:

@calvinhobbesliker:

@Dylan:

@calvinhobbesliker:

@Dylan:

@calvinhobbesliker:

@Dylan:

@Frontovik:

1812 war?
    and which civil war??

The US one.

I thought that was like a war you know, like Napoleonic Wars, World war I and stuff. oh well

Arguably, the war of 1812 was part of the Napoleonic Wars, as it distracted Britian from France

Well why did they the Russians (and others,) could do most of it, like all they did from there was take Spain, I think.

Blockaded France

No they didn’t. It was the Brits, the Prussians, and some Dutch and other German states

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seventh_Coalition look at the Belligerents.

• @Dylan:

@calvinhobbesliker:

@Dylan:

@calvinhobbesliker:

@Dylan:

@calvinhobbesliker:

@Dylan:

@calvinhobbesliker:

@Dylan:

@Frontovik:

1812 war?
    and which civil war??

The US one.

Blockaded France

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seventh_Coalition look at the Belligerents.

They may have been involved in the war as a whole but not in the actual battle of Waterloo.
    The listed Combatants on the side of the British/Prussians are:
    -United Kingdom
    -  Prussia

• Dutch Republic United Provinces of the Netherlands
    • Province of Hanover (German State)
    • Nassau (German State)
    • Brunswick (German State)

Waterloo was a rush for the combatants to get to the battlefield, the Prussians barely arrived in time let alone the members of the Coalition from further afield.

• There were several other battles in the war. Waterloo was the decisive battle that sealed Napoleons defeat. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waterloo_Campaign#Waterloo_Campaign
    Ultimately the massive Austrian and Russian armies played no part in the battle of Waterloo but did play a part in campaigns of their own as part of the war as a whole.

• Borodino and Leipzig (The Battle of the Nations)  are my favorite Napoleonic Battles.

• @Octospire:

There were several other battles in the war. Waterloo was the decisive battle that sealed Napoleons defeat. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waterloo_Campaign#Waterloo_Campaign
    Ultimately the massive Austrian and Russian armies played no part in the battle of Waterloo but did play a part in campaigns of their own as part of the war as a whole.

So Russia and Austria, like they campaigned in France, or in the Rhine.

• @Octospire:

@Dylan:

Also if you vote other, please tell me.

WW2 by far even though it finished nearly 65 years ago it still has the most far reaching consequences even today. You cant explain terrorism or the Cold war without going back to both of their infancies at the end of WW2. Also WW2 had the heroic victories that at the time would of seemed impossible like the Battle of Britain or Stalingrad. Also its interesting to discuss with people those moments when the world was on a knife edge and victory could of gone either way and the prospective consequences of those hypothetical events.

This right here…WW2 scope, duration, involvement, and consequences make it for me.

@Subotai:

I was the only one who voted for the “war on terror”, b/c it happens today, and it is especially interesting that asymmetrical warfare was not possible until recent times, at least, the warriors conducting asymmetrical warfare didn’t achieve any goals, except for annoying the kings and conquerors who had the most power.
    In historical times, including WW2, if you had the strongest military forces and won battles on the ground, you won political power. In modern times, this is not so obvious. I guess the Vietnam war was first in history where a much stronger power didn’t accomplish their political goals, and so, the US lost that war even if the killed hundreds of thousand of enemy soldiers and only lost about 60.000. 
    The Vietnam war was not about terror, but it had some asymmetrical warfare elements, as the Vietnamese was illiterate peasants defeating the most powerful country on earth, although, with some help from China.
    We can see some of this in Afghanistan, NATO is much more powerful than taliban and other warlord fractions, but they still seem to loose. This make war much more complicated and difficult.
    The long lasting truth that if you won military you also automatically won politically, does not apply anymore.

It’s definitely a change in combat that I don’t think many get even today, but has been seen quite a bit historically:

American War of Independence/Revolutionary War
    Zulus vs. Brits
    Afghanistan vs. Russia

• '10

I voted for WWII. It was the war of my childhood. I have read about it all my life but I was too young to remember much about it. How about the war for Texas Independence? Of course that was a leeetle mite before my time. Always liked to read about this time of Texas history.

• @Fishmoto37:

I voted for WWII. It was the war of my childhood. I have read about it all my life but I was too young to remember much about it. How about the war for Texas Independence? Of course that was a leeetle mite before my time. Always liked to read about this time of Texas history.

As a Texan I’ve always enjoyed the War  for Texas Independence.

• @ABWorsham:

@Fishmoto37:

Against Mexico?

• '10

@Dylan:

@ABWorsham:

@Fishmoto37:

Against Mexico?

Of course it was against Mexico. (1836) A couple years before my time.

• No one voted for the War of 1812, I like that war, other then nothing happened on the map.

• @Fishmoto37:

@Dylan:

@ABWorsham:

@Fishmoto37:

Against Mexico?

I didn’t know that they had a war going on in Texas….to me it was more like a battle or skirmish…hmm…you allways learn something new…

• @aequitas:

@Fishmoto37:

@Dylan:

@ABWorsham:

@Fishmoto37:

Against Mexico?

I didn’t know that they had a war going on in Texas….to me it was more like a battle or skirmish…hmm…you allways learn something new…

Personally I find the Texan independence movement to be quite facinating the fact that the Texans even flirted with the idea of being a province of the British empire because the U.S government didnt want to accept them as a state of the union.

• @Octospire:

Personally I find the Texan independence movement to be quite facinating the fact that the Texans even flirted with the idea of being a province of the British empire because the U.S government didnt want to accept them as a state of the union.

hhmph Didn’t know that.
    Not entirely surprised, mind you. Independence seeking Metis in the Canadian West were willing to join the US later in that century.

• @ABWorsham:

@Fishmoto37:

Me as well.  Although the story is far different once outside of Texas.  I’ll still hold on to my romantic notions of the Alamo, however.

@Octospire:

@aequitas:

@Fishmoto37:

@Dylan:

@ABWorsham:

@Fishmoto37:

Against Mexico?

It’s the only place in the US that existed as a sovereign state, if I remember correctly.  Also, it was involved in two wars with a central issue of slavery.

• stay on topic

• @Dylan:

stay on topic

You a mod now?

Anyway, this was under “other wars”.

• And Jermofoot is explaining why he finds the War of Texan Independence exciting / interesting…

• @Jermofoot:

@Dylan:

stay on topic

You a mod now?

Anyway, this was under “other wars”.

No I’m not a mod, nor do I want to. It’s just halting the poll.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m