• TripleA '12

I agree with LHoffman. I think the box art is boring - it looks just like the last few we have had. I was really hoping for something more exciting this time, with a large German representation on it. Personally, I don’t think we need to see flags on the cover at all. Leaves more room for battles/soldiers/tanks/planes/ships. I think every game should have a good deal of distinction in terms of style and colours. Guadalcanal had this cool green look to it which reminded me of the island jungles and stuff.

• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

I would agree with Lozmoid also. I guess it would have been fine by me if they had left off the flags… if they had done that in the first place we wouldn’t have had our previous discussion. I would agree that this new one looks more or less ‘boring’ in comparison to others I have seen. It also seems somewhat less creative. But hey… it is what it is, and I am still excited for it.

Somebody had posted that they could make a different box to sell in Germany…

While I think that would be the only way it would work, I doubt it would ever happen. Somebody mentioned how much AH spends on advertising… how much do they spend on that? I am curious, because I am not exposed to much of it.

• @LHoffman:

I would agree with Lozmoid also. I guess it would have been fine by me if they had left off the flags… if they had done that in the first place we wouldn’t have had our previous discussion. I would agree that this new one looks more or less ‘boring’ in comparison to others I have seen. It also seems somewhat less creative. But hey… it is what it is, and I am still excited for it.

Somebody had posted that they could make a different box to sell in Germany…

While I think that would be the only way it would work, I doubt it would ever happen. Somebody mentioned how much AH spends on advertising… how much do they spend on that? I am curious, because I am not exposed to much of it.

This much…

@UN:

This much…

Oh… interesting. Are you serious?

Depending on their budget, that could be a lot or a little.

• I don’t get the “hoopla” over the box art.  What does the box art really got to do with what is in the box or how good the game is.  I say wrap the box in brown paper, save a lot of money and reduce the cost or put in more units.  As it is, I generally trash the box and put all my units into fishing tackle boxes.  My game boards go into a large Rubber Maid tub with a lid that seals.  I have books of war art; I don’t need or care for something on a game box.  Maybe I’m just an old curmudgeon or my patience has been worn thin by my junior high students (one week left!), but “I don’t get the “hoopla” over the box art”.

• I like the box art personally. Again I save the boxes because it is free storage for me. Personally if they were just a monochrome color with Axis & Allies written on it, I could honestly not care less.

• @LHoffman:

@UN:

This much…

Oh… interesting. Are you serious?

Depending on their budget, that could be a lot or a little.

Nah, I’m not sure how much they spend on advertising. shrug But what I would do to see an Axis and Allies commercial…

• '10

WOTC spends little to no money on advertising Axis and Allies.  Go to their website.  There is no mention of Europe 1940 anywhere.

• I personally like the box art.  I believe the same guy who did the Euro 40, Pac 40 and AA50 box also did the original Axis and Allies box art in the 80s, which I think is pretty cool.  I don’t know if this same guy did the other box covers- Guad, Bulge, Dday, old Euro, old Pac, and Revised.

@UN:

Nah, I’m not sure how much they spend on advertising. shrug But what I would do to see an Axis and Allies commercial…

A million seemed rather high… I thought the link was kinda funny though… I didn’t really expect that. I have never watched  the movie (Austin Powers I assume).

An Axis and Allies commercial would be very cool.

• @LHoffman:

I have never watched  the movie (Austin Powers I assume).

Get outta here!

• Without a clearer picture it’s hard to tell just how good it looks. Once again it seems a little US-centric, but I guess that’s to be expected. I like the suggestion that Churchill should be on the cover, like FDR on Pacific.

It really only matters if the game inside is good. But since the game will inevitably retail in the UK and Europe for something like 100% more than in the US, there’s no way it will be value for money.

PS: No derailing intended, but Raeders posts are hilarious; “Hitler had to”, “Hitler just wanted to be pals with Britain” [how’d that work out for Russia?] Hitler was a LIAR. The fact you are spending any time defending him via what he said when everything he had to do was because of a previously broken promise is richly ironic. He declared war on the US. He invaded Russia. Even his generals thought those things were insane.

• @LHoffman:

I don’t have a problem with the flags, nor the choice of a french flag there; there’s logical reasoning behind it.

Flags, because Pacific 40 box has flags in the center as well, and since the 2 games are supposed to be playable as a whole, the box art should reflect this to some degree.

A french flag, not because French was the prima donna of the war, but because France will be the main newly added aspect in the new game (and possible the center of the action).

So, about content, i think art director & illustrator did a decent job. Visually, well… it fits the series.
    And yes, it’s what’s inside the box that counts!

• The French flag looks as if it has some sort of red symbol on it…?

• @Upside-down_Turtle:

The French flag looks as if it has some sort of red symbol on it…?

Perhaps it’s the Vichy France flag?

http://images.tdaxp.com/tdaxp_flickr/88251043_8da7216444_o.jpg

• @Make_It_Round:

@Upside-down_Turtle:

The French flag looks as if it has some sort of red symbol on it…?

Perhaps it’s the Vichy France flag?

http://images.tdaxp.com/tdaxp_flickr/88251043_8da7216444_o.jpg

Nope, it’s the Free French flag with the cross of Lorraine
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/06/Flag_of_Free_France_1940-1944.svg/100px-Flag_of_Free_France_1940-1944.svg.png

• which implies that there ARE going to be free french in this game right?

• @idk_iam_swiss:

which implies that there ARE going to be free french in this game right?

Free French=leftover french units in Africa, so yes.

• @calvinhobbesliker:

@idk_iam_swiss:

which implies that there ARE going to be free french in this game right?

Free French=leftover french units in Africa, so yes.

Maybe units from Atlantic coast of France that moved into the UK?

• There will be free french, but no Vichy french.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m