• Has anyone ever tried this game. I have been reading a lot of posts regarding AA42, AA50, and the AA40Pacific/Europe.

World at War was pretty sad, but the expansion seems to have dealt with many of the questions or complaints about past AA rules. China is its own country, so is france. China prevents a back door immediate invasion to Russia, there is a russian treaty that can be broken with a penalty, their is a pretty good vichy rule when france falls. The map is as good as AA50 in terms of more territorries making for realistic play except Australia is 3 territories, (more realistic).

Of course I had to do some variants to make it more realistic just like any game, China goes first, ect…. Has anyone played this game.

At this point I am sticking with World At War, however I plan on buying AA40Pacific as there is still not enough naval play in World at War (Expansion).

IL has games and maps that resemble World at War with Deluxe World War 2 looking the like the best map I have ever seen. I am not sure the exact role IL has in the running of this website, but from what I have seen on his website, I am surprised I have not seen  or heard  more on his games.

• Great Game.  I recommend. :mrgreen:

• Yes…. but the map is ugly and the rules are bad.

http://www.mediafire.com/i/?nhyniymigiz

Here’s the picture of my world at war map.
    I’m a member of the world at war club in Montreal.

Last game, we introduced our new cargo/convoy rules.

• @crusaderiv:

Yes…. but the map is ugly and the rules are bad.
    http://www.mediafire.com/i/?nhyniymigiz
    Here’s the picture of my world at war map.
    I’m a member of the world at war club in Montreal.
    Last game, we introduced our new cargo/convoy rules.

Looks like you took a regular world map and drew in your own borders.

• Absolutely right Mr. Brain.
    The map represent the 1939 borders.
    Prototype at 100%

Save time and money.

• Yeah, Japan can take Western U.S. before America is even active if they go all out for it.  Before we figured that out we enjoyed the game for its new take on the rules.

• @crusaderiv:

Absolutely right Mr. Brain.
    The map represent the 1939 borders.
    Prototype at 100%

Save time and money.

Doesn’t Europe get a little crowded? Most game boards blow up this area for easier game play.

• Yeah, Japan can take Western U.S. before America is even active if they go all out for it.  Before we figured that out we enjoyed the game for its new take on the rules.

Well, it’s not a good idea. (If you do that, Let see, first or second turn, you have to think about the consequences)

1. You have to use the sneak attack.
    2. even if you sink US navy based in western USA you’ll face the counter attack of US navy based in Hawaii.
    3. if you take western USA, USA player will easily recapture the territory next turn.
    4. if you attack USA, you declare war to UK and germany declare war to the allies.
      So UK can attack japanese possession in the pacific ocean.
      Also, at the beginning of the game, Germany can’t face war on the western and eastern front at the same time. (German player won’t be happy!!!)
    5. If japan go all out for USA at the beginning of the game! China will be stronger enough to kick you out of asia!
    6. USSR can attack manchuria and soon, soviet player will take Korea!

So after a coupe of turn, the japanse situation will be realy bad.
    An easy victory for the Allies.

• Doesn’t Europe get a little crowded? Most game boards blow up this area for easier game play.

Europe is blow up at the bottom of the gameboard.
    I would like to enlarge Europe because yes…. a bigger Europe it’s a must.
    But with 84’’ x 44’’ map, where can I put a lager Europe?!?!/“”

• This is why when they make the game board Europe is disproportionately larger. If you try to use an actual map, Europe will not be large enough unless you use a map that would be too large to play on.

• You’re right.

I thought to place a larger Europe map over the gameboard…you know like a 2 level chess game.
    But it wasn’t a good idea. It will be better with an other table with the Europe map.
    We play our games in my dining room but 2 tableboard one beside the other, don’t know if it will be too much.

• 1. It’s the perfect use for the sneak attack
    2. What U.S. fleet in Hawaii? the first impulse wiped them out
    3. The U.S. may recapture it but you’ll just land more troops there next turn
    4. If Germany has any balls/skill at all he will take Poland on his first impulse and France on his second so who cares.
    5. China is a punk and you can easily keep up and outpace his production, plus with two turns of combat you can F them up on turn 1.
    6. An attack on the U.S. does not cancel your Sino-Soviet Pact?

So after a couple turns the U.S. is locked in a perpetual combat to retake Western U.S. thus keeping them from going after Germany.  Which makes them a much more usefull part of the Axis than just running around the pacific and crawling through China for no real gain.  What do you think is more important…Japan slugging through Chinese territories or keeping the U.S. from taking part in the War in Europe.

Perhaps the rules/setup are different now, but the original played out this way.

• What do you think is more important…Japan slugging through Chinese territories or keeping the U.S. from taking part in the War in Europe.

Japan slugging through chinese territories of course. It’s not a big job to pass through China.
    (Even if we divided China in 17 territories)!
    Used IJN to scratch the Royal Navy and take the control of the indian ocean, India and the middle east. After that, attack USSR from the east and south while Germany attack on the other side.
    If you open 3 differents front, Russian player cannot survive!
    Once USSR is down, return IJN in the pacific and wait the US navy.

• This sounds like the strat I used to use in original A&A game.

• I have played AA since the 2nd version came out, when they changed the rule that multi forces could attack and forced Russia to only make defensive moves since they went first. I have played every expansion set that no longer exist. World and War and World at War expansion are a bit different. I have played both hundreds of times with challengers of all manner of skill. I can tell you without any reservation, if Japan attacked the US that way, Germany would be absolutely dead and soon. Unless, the US in deed decided to put everything they had into taking Japans islands. Taking back Western US would be utterly easy with only spending a fraction of thier resources. Putting the US in full force that early in the game before wiping out China is a death sentence for Germany. Again, unless the US had no idea on how to capitalize on that mistake.

In the World at War expansion, they came up with the National Gaurd that gave the US 4 infantry when any home island or homeland was invaded. World at War’s rules did stink, but the expansion was awesome. I no longer see it advertised as World at War expansion. I think their new world is the expansion that was update to fit AARevised.

• Absolutely right….Eddie…

Anyway, with my map, there’s 6 sea zone between Japan and Western USA so it’s impossible to the japanese player to take out Western USA on the first turn!

• @crusaderiv:

Absolutely right….Eddie…

Anyway, with my map, there’s 6 sea zone between Japan and Western USA so it’s impossible to the japanese player to take out Western USA on the first turn!

Are you using a different map?

• 6 sea zones it definitely should be. In the new axis versions, I noticed that the sea zones have widen compared to the original making much harder for the allies. I used to move all my forces to Canada, and every turn could land troops. I can’t do that anymore. So from that perspective it is more real and balances the game a little more. One problem. The US is now as far away from France as it is from Japan. How crazy is that.

• Hey Crusader,

Just noticed some of your posts on Xeno. You know, I have been exclusively playing World at War Expansion for about 5 years. In fact, I purchase World At War Online, payed extra for the promise of WAW 2.0 which was supposed to come out in a few months (for the last 5 years).

Have you heard anything credible, other than Mikes last post in October that it is again coming out soon?

They have also had updated rules for the expansion. I have asked for a download of the new rules to have them all in one book but no response. Mike is probbably busy trying to meet teh “few months” deadline.

Also, I contacted Mike and asked for a copy of the old WAW online file. He said he would get back to me. Maybe he will get back to me in a “few months”. Do you have one?

The posts for Xeno are looking mighty thin. I actually don’t even see WAW Expansion advertised. I wonder if the new WAW 2005 contains the rules for both the regular WAW and the Expansion. Mabe the Expansion became the basic game. I knew a lot of people who thought WAW, without the Expansion really stunk. It would be great to have a combined rule book. But between you and me, when AA Europe comes out, if you can indeed combine them, that may just permanently replace Xeno. However if they ever come out with WAW online 2.0, and it is as good as it is promised, it could win out.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m