• Customizer

@Imperious:

I don’t think its the kind of movie thats aiming at any accuracy in the story. Kinda like Star Wars when the Death Star explodes and makes noise and all the bad guys have British accents.

But the bad guys in ALL American movies have British accents.  Even when the antagonists have American accents they’re usually played by British actors, because Americans don’t like being seen to be bad.

e.g. Gary Oldman.

• What do you mean Americans don’t like being seen as bad? Americans love being badasses. You say that to the wrong person in this country and you’ll find out what I am talking about.

• Customizer

So why do they have to hire so many European actors to play baddies in American movies?

Has any American actor ever played Hitler (in a serious piece at least?)

Remember Professor Heinkel and the Bumblebee:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsFR71zhPtg&feature=related

• Probably because they are looking for a guy who looks like Hitler.

• Bruno Ganz is probably the best Hitler I’ve come across.  I never thought I’d use “best” in a sentence with Hitler, but there you go.

Also, I would have a sex change just to have Diane Kruger’s babies.

• Got the movie on dvd. Was definitely worth watching a second time.

(Rank = 66)

• Customizer

They got the bit wrong about hearing the shot.  NOBODY heard the shot.  The secretary made it up afterwards because it gave the episode a good punchline: Bullseye!

nazisuperscience.jpg

• i got it today on blue ray

• I think we all know that whoever played Hitler in The Producers was a VERY serious, American actor

“Heil!..…myself”  :mrgreen:

• I got it on DVD for Christmas and really like it. It’s quite funny.

I thought it was one of Pitts better performances, although his Midwest American accent is a little laboured.

QT is good as always. I recommend it.

• @Jermofoot:

Bruno Ganz is probably the best Hitler I’ve come across.  I never thought I’d use “best” in a sentence with Hitler, but there you go.

Also, I would have a sex change just to have Diane Kruger’s babies.

Bruno Ganz is the best German speaking portrayal of Hitler, but for an English speaking audience that wants to get a an understanding of the character of Hitler and his speaking style from an English perspective then I would have to recommend Derek Jacobi in “Inside the Third Reich”:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjh0Ukuzc3o

Unlike most English portrayals, which make Hitler’s speaking style resemble that of a raving madman, Jacobi portrays Hitler’s speaking style as it’s been described by Germans of the period - starting slowly, almost hesitant until it starts building itself into a euphoric crescendo. Excellent imo, since it gives more depth to a man that helped change the course of 20th Century History. It also allows the audience to perhaps understand why the German people followed willingly this eccentric little man into the abyss.

Alex Guiness also does a very amusing Hitler, and looks more like the genuine article than any I’ve ever came across:

As for Robert Carlyle’s performance in “Hitler: The Rise of Evil”, I couldn’t watch more than two minutes of it to be honest. Everything about it was pure trash, painting Hitler out to be evil from his very conception: they even tried to suggest, without any historical basis at all, that young Adolf Hitler probably murdered  his own father via poisoning. WTF? Such two dimensional and shallow portrayals do not truly address the subject in my opinion, and merely brush over what is otherwise a very important historical event in the course of human affairs.

• Richard Basehart as Hitler was the most amusing.

• @Imperious:

Richard Basehart as Hitler was the most amusing.

I’m not familiar with that portrayal oddly enough. I did a paper at university on the various portrayals of Hitler on film and honestly thought I had covered most of them (give or take the odd comedy sketch here and there)

Damn…

• QT makes great movies.

• Customizer

Ken Stott was pretty good in Uncle Adolf:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMPM_t5WAt4

A restrained portrayal:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9FiPaSdiL0&feature=related

• loved the film…one of QTs better productions…although i cant remember a bad production of his…my fav from him is still Reservoir Dogs…

• @RJL518:

loved the film…one of QTs better productions…although i cant remember a bad production of his…my fav from him is still Reservoir Dogs…

Yeah, I like the bit about Mr. Pink and the scene in the restaurant " I don’t leave tips"

• Some of the “QT Presents” movies are pretty good.  I think they are all Asian…

Avoid Sonatine, but Old Boy was great.

• Haven’t heard of those. Where can I get a list.

• @Brain:

Haven’t heard of those. Where can I get a list.

Ok, maybe I was confused about Old Boy.  I think he merely hyped it a lot, but it’s good.

I forget the production company but it was something he started to import foreign movies.  A lot are pretty good, considering.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m