• We have a few German and Japanese strategy threads, but no Italian ones!

The reason being probably is that there is so little for Italy to do, that there aren’t many options. Here is what I worked out for Italy to do.

ITALY 1
    Purchase: 2 Infantry 1 Artillery
    I’ve toyed with getting a fighter or a destroyer, but Italy really needs some ground units to put into Africa, and a destroyer would get destroyed easily since It must be placed in SZ 14 while my navy will be moving to SZ15 to support operations against Egypt.

Combat: Egypt and France

FRANCE: I assume that France is taken by the British, as I like to prepare for the worst case scenario. If France is taken, I estimated that the Brits will have at most 1 tank or 1 tank and 1 infantry there. The 1 infantry, 1 artillery, and 1 tank should be sufficient to neutralize them.

EGYPT: I hit Egypt first the Germans. I know its virtually impossible to take, but it can be softened up for Italy to hit.
    2 Infantry from Libya, 1 Infantry and a tank from the Balkans, the fighter from Italy, and a BB and CA offshore shot should be sufficient to take Egypt, even if the Brits reinforce it with the units from Transjordan.

In summary, Italy is up by 2 IPC’s and might have one of their NO’s meaning they collect 12-17 IPCs.

ITALY 2
    Purchase: Personally I love naval forces, so depending on how the Germans are doing against the U.S.S.R. and defending on if their air force destroyed the British transports, I will build either a tank, infantry, and artillery, or a cruiser.

Combat: Trans Jordan and Persia

You should have a tank left in Egypt, so blitzing into Persia should be an easy matter as I doubt the British will send forces that ways when Japan is coming. The British still have troops in Africa remember, so transport an infantry and artillery into Egypt, and maybe land a fighter there. The Americans have probably taken Algeria at this point though, so you might want to attack that amphibiously, but dont put your navy in a vulnerable area.

Thats pretty much it for Italy. It’s hard to come up with strategies for them because they start so weak and their turn is after Britain, but I hope this helps.

• @Vall:

Combat: Egypt and France

FRANCE: I assume that France is taken by the British, as I like to prepare for the worst case scenario. If France is taken, I estimated that the Brits will have at most 1 tank or 1 tank and 1 infantry there. The 1 infantry, 1 artillery, and 1 tank should be sufficient to neutralize them.

You should not trade France. Even a lone turn is bad. It was bad in Revised, but it’s even worst now with those NOs for UK and USA. You are giving UK a breath they need badly, because they will lose income very quickly

I like using the italian inf in Africa and to defend France (not trading it). Both things leave germans more freedom to the task of facing soviets. If I can, a navy is a good idea, but seems it’s becoming a default strat massing boats against italians as UK, so I think it’s a good idea try escape by Suez channel and annoying mad and saf.

• In my experiences, UK doesn’t take France because Germany had already destroyed UK’s fleet. So, in my opinion, Italy could buy 1 TRN + 1 INF, then unload troops to Egypt or Trans-Jordan with the sustain of the 2 cruisers, while the BB should rest in SZ 14 to protect the newly bought transport. During NCM, FIG from Italy should land in Lybia, from where it can move to all territories in which Italy could combat in I2.

But overall, it all depends if you play with National Objectives or not.

• @Sergente_nella_neve:

In my experiences, UK doesn’t take France because Germany had already destroyed UK’s fleet. So, in my opinion, Italy could buy 1 TRN + 1 INF, then unload troops to Egypt or Trans-Jordan with the sustain of the 2 cruisers, while the BB should rest in SZ 14 to protect the newly bought transport. During NCM, FIG from Italy should land in Lybia, from where it can move to all territories in which Italy could combat in I2.

But overall, it all depends if you play with National Objectives or not.

Yeah, I like that build and move if it’s possible, and it usually is.  Especially if the Allies appear to be prepping for a KIF, Italy will need to push as many troops into Africa as possible before the Med fleet is extinguished.  I think the 2 INF, 1 ART build is probably the second best.  This is with NOs on, btw.

• IMO building a tranny 1st round is paramount for Italy.  You need to shuffle more then just 2 units in order to achieve your NO’s and contest with Britian in Africa in round 2.

• 2007 AAR League

With a 1 inf, 1 TP build, depending on where the UK aircraft and navy are, you are also able to use the current Italian TP to land units into Egypt or T-J on Italy 1. Keeping the BB in sz14 to protect the new TP and sending the 2 CA to cover the TP in sz15 is probably the best move. As long as Egypt and T-J are both in Axis hands at the end of Italy 1, there aren’t multiple bombers in UK, and there isn’t a loaded UK CV in sz7 or 8, then both fleets are pretty safe.

• First off, I really enjoy playing Italy, its my 3rd choice after UK and Japan.

Now that  I got that out of the way here’s the depressing part: Italy is screwed

Idk about you but my first goal as the Allies is always the Med., and because Italy is pretty weak, if the Allis want it they can have it.  Heck, the RAF alone has the potential to wipe out Italy’s nay in 2-3 turns. So what I do to hold this off (not prevent) is this

1. Try to clear the Med. of Allied boats
    2. Invade Gibraltar I1
    3. At least make a stalemate on the libya-Egypt border, because you can potentially get in more troops and the UK cant

• Does italy really stand a chance of controling an retaining africa? I seems to me that america can take africa easily if they want. Do the strategies involving italy taking africa are ment to make some IPCs the first turn and then lose africa or are they ment to really dominate africa.

• @gebs99:

Does italy really stand a chance of controling an retaining africa? I seems to me that america can take africa easily if they want.

My point exactly

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

Yes, Italy does stand a chance in controlling Italy.

America will often times go against Japan, meaning they are not liberating Africa.

England sometimes cannot keep up since they also have to deal with the Luftwaffe and Europe.

If Italy gets a break, they can easily have the transport and an Industrial Complex in Egypt dumping units into Africa faster than England can fight back.

So what would America do?  Turn back and come to England’s aide and lose their own NO in the Pacific (down 2 now, instead of just the one for Philippines) or stay put and hope to get Philippines back and give England a NO for controlling an Orange Territory?

Honestly, with the cash in the Pacific (+17 IPC for England (5 for the NO, 12 IPC for Islands/Australia)) and +14 IPC for America (2 For Philippines, 1 Formosa, 1 Okinawa and 2 National Objectives) it makes more sense, to me, to focus on Japan with America even if Africa is lost to Italy.

17 IPC for England is > 11 IPC for Africa and Jordan and the benefits from the Pacific should more than make up for Italy’s extra cash in the form of significantly less Japanese in Asia.

• I like to purchase a fighter in I1 and follow up with a carrier in I2 depending on if you have NO. That way the fleet makes a strong and reliable force. With a strong fleet to rely on, the hunt for africa and the Mare nostrum objectives begins.

But thats just me.  :? As if I know anything.  :wink:

• 2007 AAR League

@gebs99:

Does italy really stand a chance of controling an retaining africa? I seems to me that america can take africa easily if they want. Do the strategies involving italy taking africa are ment to make some IPCs the first turn and then lose africa or are they ment to really dominate africa.

It doesn’t matter if they stand a chance of controlling Africa. The point is that they have to try whether or not the Allies move to stop them. Italy has to make an effort to keep it’s income up by keeping the pressure on Africa because either it diverts Allied forces away from Germany and Japan to stop them or it gives them a ton of IPC’s that are also taken from the UK.

@U-505:

@gebs99:

Does italy really stand a chance of controling an retaining africa? I seems to me that america can take africa easily if they want. Do the strategies involving italy taking africa are ment to make some IPCs the first turn and then lose africa or are they ment to really dominate africa.

It doesn’t matter if they stand a chance of controlling Africa. The point is that they have to try whether or not the Allies move to stop them. Italy has to make an effort to keep it’s income up by keeping the pressure on Africa because either it diverts Allied forces away from Germany and Japan to stop them or it gives them a ton of IPC’s that are also taken from the UK.

Good point.

Every infantry, artillery, armor, fighter and bomber sent to Africa to stop Italy is one less in Europe to defeat Germany.

• I think the Italians are better suited to staying in Europe,even if it means getting only 9 IPCs per turn. Three men per turn will beef up France considerably. Trying to duke it out with the Allies in Africa is a distraction, sure, but when DDay comes,you will miss those troops.

@Heavy:

I think the Italians are better suited to staying in Europe,even if it means getting only 9 IPCs per turn. Three men per turn will beef up France considerably. Trying to duke it out with the Allies in Africa is a distraction, sure, but when DDay comes,you will miss those troops.

I think the hope is that Italy will be earning enough to build 6 units a round and thus, have more units than ability to transport and build up a stack in Europe to liberate/defend France against the Allies.

At least that’s usually my plan.

• assuming you are going for Africa, taking Gibraltar turn 1 is a good way to keep those pesky air units out of the Roman Lake for a while, which just might give you enough time to build up troops and deflect attacks.

@bbrett3:

assuming you are going for Africa, taking Gibraltar turn 1 is a good way to keep those pesky air units out of the Roman Lake for a while, which just might give you enough time to build up troops and deflect attacks.

But what do you want to take it with?

I agree, it’s a good move to take it if you can, but whatever you put there is going to be stranded and whatever you leave in SZ 13 is going to be sunk by England.

I used to do it with a German infantry.  Lately, I’ve been thinking up different things to do with that transport instead. (One was putting it in SZ 14 and letting the Italians use it.  But I don’t like that since it means Egypt isn’t even strafed before it can be reinforced.)

• german airforce kills the UK ships off of Egypt, load up 1inf onto a transport, and support the landing with my crusiers

• @bbrett3:

german airforce kills the UK ships off of Egypt, load up 1inf onto a transport, and support the landing with my crusiers

HUH?

This is the 1941 scenario forum

There ARE no UK ships off Egypt

• @axis_roll:

@bbrett3:

german airforce kills the UK ships off of Egypt, load up 1inf onto a transport, and support the landing with my crusiers

HUH?

This is the 1941 scenario forum

There ARE no UK ships off Egypt

oh, sorry didn’t notice that nervous laughter :-o

Either way, you still move the tranny next to Gibraltar, invade, and use your warships to cover it

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m