[Global 1940] Alternate Research Rules

• Two things I don’t like about the OOB Research and Development rules are:

1. Too much randomness with success, You could spend 25 and get 5 breakthroughs or spend 100 and get none.
    2. Too much randomness on developments. You have very little control over what breakthroughs you get. You could be the Soviets and get Improved Shipyards instead of something useful like Radar.

A more realistic approach would be one in which you choose what to research and work toward that goal. In that light, I’ve put together the following proposal.

Step 1: Buy Research Dice
    Each research die cost 5 IPCs and is specific to one development. You can buy as many research dice as you like, but only one each turn may be applied to each development.

Step 2: Roll Research Dice
    Track the value rolled on each die for each development chosen

Step 3: Mark Progress toward Development
    Apply the value rolled to the target for that development. If you meet or exceed the target value, you gain that development. Any excess points are lost.

I’ve put together a list of developments, by nation, including some I feel are better incorporated into the game full-time (i.e., paratroopers) as well as some new ones as ultimately, it’s easier to remove items from this list than add to them.
    Key: Development [target number]

GERMANY
    Advanced Artillery [10]
    Rockets [10]
    Paratroopers [5]
    Increased Factory Production [15]
    War Bonds [20]
    Improved Mechanized Infantry [10]
    Super Submarine [15]
    Jet Fighters [15]
    Improved Shipyards [15]
    Radar [15]
    Long-Range Aircraft [15]
    Heavy Bombers [20]
    Multi-Use Artillery [10] AAA gain an attack value of 2 and can choose to defend with a value of 2 instead of making AA attacks.
    Wolf-Pack [5] Submarines can be combined with other submarines. A matched pair of two submarines increases the attack value of both submarines from 2 to 3.
    Condor Spotting [5] Strategic bombers can be combined with submarines. A matched pair of a strategic bomber and a submarine increases the submarine’s attack value from 2 to 3.
    Advanced Raiders [10] Battleships and Cruisers roll 2 dice for Convoy Disruption instead of 1.
    Tiger Tanks [15] The defense value of your tanks increases to 4.

SOVIET UNION
    Advanced Artillery [10]
    Rockets [20]
    Paratroopers [10]
    Increased Factory Production [10]
    War Bonds [20]
    Improved Mechanized Infantry [15]
    Super Submarine [20]
    Jet Fighters [20]
    Improved Shipyards [20]
    Radar [15]
    Long-Range Aircraft [15]
    Heavy Bombers [20]
    Movable Factories [10] During the Noncombat Move, you may move an industrial complex you control to another eligible territory you control within 2 spaces. An industrial complex may not mobilize units on a turn it is moved.
    Conscription [5] Infantry can be mobilized in any originally controlled territory. No more can be mobilized in a territory in a turn than the IPC value of the territory.

UNITED STATES
    Advanced Artillery [10]
    Rockets [20]
    Paratroopers [5]
    Increased Factory Production [10]
    War Bonds [10]
    Super Submarine [15]
    Jet Fighters [20]
    Improved Shipyards [10]
    Radar [10]
    Long-Range Aircraft [15]
    Heavy Bombers [15]
    Marines [5] Infantry performing amphibious assaults in the Pacific map have an attack value of 2 rather than 1. This is not increased when supported by artillery.
    Atomic Bomb [30] A successful strategic bombing raid will destroy the industrial complex (remove it from the map) rather than damage it. May only be used once per turn.

JAPAN
    Advanced Artillery [15]
    Rockets [20]
    Paratroopers [5]
    War Bonds [15]
    Improved Mechanized Infantry [20]
    Super Submarine [10]
    Jet Fighters [20]
    Improved Shipyards [10]
    Radar [15]
    Long-Range Aircraft [15]
    Heavy Bombers [20]
    Long Lance Torpedoes [5] Cruisers and battleships can be combined with destroyers. A matched pair of a cruiser or battleship and a destroyer increases the destroyer’s attack value from 2 to 3.
    Destroyer Ferries [5] Destroyers can carry 1 infantry unit, similar to a transport.
    Pillboxes [10] Infantry on islands have their defense value increased from 2 to 3.

UNITED KINGDOM
    Advanced Artillery [10]
    Rockets [20]
    Paratroopers [5]
    War Bonds [15]
    Super Submarine [15]
    Jet Fighters [20]
    Improved Shipyards [10]
    Radar [5]
    Long-Range Aircraft [15]
    Heavy Bombers [15]
    Big Wing [10] Intercepting fighters can initiate a second round of air combat after the bombing has occurred

I wasn’t sure if it was necessary (or prudent) to develop charts for Italy and ANZAC.

Feedback welcomed and I’m especially interested in more flavorful historical development ideas.

Thanks - Andy

• Thought of another one.

UNITED STATES
    Anti-Aircraft Cruisers [10] When defending, your cruisers may make 3 attacks like an AAA instead of using their defense value of 3.

• @andy-palmer What I like- This method makes it more likely that a player will get a technology before the end of a 10 turn game. Average time to get an typical technology is just over 4 turns.
    What I don’t like- With this method, you pick a technology. If player’s pick their technology, most will pick the same technology repeatedly. This is rather boring IMO.
    What I would prefer- Use a universal target value (about 10 -15), and then roll to see what technology you get, when you reach that target value.
    My counter proposal-
    Step 1: Buy Research Die (max. 1 per turn)
    Step 2: Roll Research Die 1d6-1 = # of turns before you get your technology. A roll of 1 means you get your technology this turn. A roll of 6 means you get your technology in 5 turns.
    Step 3: Roll Selection Die to determine which technology you actually get.
    Even better- When rolling to see what technology you get, roll 2 dice and choose which of the two techs you want. This prevents players choosing the same tech repeatedly, but allows players some ability to direct their own research.

• @magnum In my experience, one of the major reasons research is so under-utilized is that you may spend all that money for something that is of no use to you. It is that risk that makes people not want to research, so this proposal specifically addresses that factor.

• @andy-palmer Would it work OK if a player rolled 2 or 3 selection dice, and picked which of the 2 or 3 that they want. This would allow players to avoid most of what they don’t want, but not let them pick the same thing repeatedly.

• @magnum I’m not yet convinced that letting them pick what they want, and potentially the same thing, is a problem. If anything, this will give them the opportunity to try out different strategies, involving research, and see how they work.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m