Right.  If you go heavy to Ukr, you may have to concede Kar and may have to deadzone EE as well by sending additional inf East via Balk, but the trade off is putting immediate pressure on Cauc.
    This can be the case if Russia has some bad rolls early or Germany is really doing well in the trading game (always coming out ahead).  Here you don’t want to mess around, force Russia to defend both Wrus and Cauc heavy early before both the UK and US can land a combined 12-16 units in Kar.  Now the Allies have to react to the immediate threat to Russia instead to trying to get to Berlin, and if you can gain Cauc, you can pretty much play Def by stacking Cauc and EE/Ger until Japan can potentially take Mos.

• A G1 move into Karelia early can put a SERIOUS crimp in the Allies game.  But you have to judge when it is worth the risk.

If Russia loses ARM on a Ukraine attack, and West Russia goes even slightly below average, an initial push into Karelia heavy can play havoc with Russia.

But if Russia has 3-5 ARM in WR, Cauc, Russia; plus 1-2 ART and 7+ ART in WR plus their 2 FIGs, a move into Karelia is nearly suicidal.

Good point Switch.

I’ve been looking at this move more and more as an alternative to my typical Ukr push, but I’ve been finding Russia taking Ukr with 3-4 ground units and Wrus going well enough the past few games making it a no go given the units needed to take out the Russian arm in Ukr.

• agreeing with Switch and Darth

Karelia is the key, but often times not attainable, especially against a strong 3 inf, 3 tank Russia one buy.

• '11

I’ve been toying with a one AA gun and 11 infantry buy on G1. I use the transport to pick up 1 inf & 1 AA gun from Germany and bring them to Norway for reinforcement. This at least gives you better protection in the North so the Allies cannot completely overwhelm you. For attack on G1, I push all the armor from Germany towards KAR with some forces from Eastern EU and the fighter from Norway. You should be able to attain victory in KAR with these forces and then create a picket line stretching from KAR through BEL and Ukraine SSR, after reinforcement. I have had some good success with this strategy and it should leave you in a good position to launch an assault on CAU from several different points.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

Interesting idea, Antholin.

Though, you don’t really need to buy an AA Gun, you have three of them at the start anyway.  Just shuffle the gun from S. Europe to Germany and from Germany to Norway.  (S. Europe is safe from SBR because of the gun in W. Europe…well, as safe as Germany is anyway.)

Could save you the cash.  Or, 10 Infantry, Armor, AA Gun could work, instead of 11 Infantry.

• '11

That’s very true. I just like having as much AA coverage over the reich as possible. One of the guys I play against just loves using his bombers to wreak havoc with my economy. So, I guess I’ve gotten a little AA gun crazy. I figure they’re not too costly for the potential coverage they provide. I buy up that amount of infantry to free up all available armor, artillery & fighters to fight on the Eastern front. Next game, I will probably shuffle the S. Europe AA gun up to Germany and that up to Norway. At least I’ll be able to field another tank. Thanks for the advice Cmdr Jennifer.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

Understood, however does your opponent know that he can avoid all your guns except those over S. Europe and Germany by going over the naval routes?

England, SZ 6, SZ 5, Germany (3 Movement Points)
    Caucasus, SZ 16, SZ 14, S. Europe (3 Movement Points)

• '11

He doesn’t know yet, as he’s only played a few times. However, I’m not about to point that out to him. When I play as the Allies, then he’ll find out. Can’t let your friends in on all the secrets.  :-D

• @Antholin:

He doesn’t know yet, as he’s only played a few times. However, I’m not about to point that out to him. When I play as the Allies, then he’ll find out. Can’t let your friends in on all the secrets.   :-D

That’s the most effective strategy out there…
    when your opponent messes up.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m