Presidential Election (as a current event- watch the tone or it's gone)

• 2007 AAR League

ok.  i’m going to have to find all of McCains votes for republican president b/c Jen is up to her normal incorrect statements.

McCain voted tons of times for republican appointed judges.  a vast majority.

• http://votesmart.org/voting_category.php?can_id=53270

that will take you to McCain’s voting record on all but jedical stuff. i can’t find that though.

• '19 Moderator

LIE: John McCain organized “The Gang of Fourteen” to Block the Confirmation of Conservative Judges.

TRUTH: John McCain organized “The Gang of Fourteen” to win- not to block -the Confirmation of Conservative Judges, and his efforts succeeded in the Senate.

This group of seven Republicans and Seven Democrats (representing a full 14% of the US Senate, obviously) ultimately broke the logjam that had delayed confirmation of some of the most conservative nominees of President Bush. Because of McCain’s leadership, Chief Justice John Roberts and Associate Justice Samuel Alito won Supreme Court confirmation without filibuster from the Democrats. He also secured the previously blocked confirmations of Appellate Judges William Pryor, Janice Rogers Brown, Priscilla Owen, and Brett Kavanaugh, previously filibustered by Democrats. At the same time, McCain and his “gang” managed to protect the right to filibuster – an important tool with obvious value now that Republicans find themselves in the minority. McCain has never opposed a Republican nominee for the Supreme Court; unlike some of his prominent fellow Republicans, he actively supported the nomination of Judge Robert Bork. His disagreement with Senate Republican leader Bill Frist on the “Gang of Fourteen” issues involved questions of tactics, not the goal of securing a judiciary that honors the principles of strict construction.

Source: http://www.townhall.com/columnists/MichaelMedved/2008/01/23/six_big_lies_about_john_mccain

@Jermofoot:

GG - It’s Tuesday and I want my pizza!!!

Don’t you at least appreciate our Budget Cuts?!?! We need the Ammunitions and (garble) wine and cheese for (garble)… Besides all that think of the people of Oceania Comrade!

GG

• If memory serves, only 3 judges did not come up for a vote in the Senate as a result of the actions of the “Gang of 14”

Dozens of others though DID come to a result that had previously been blocked by Dem filibuster…

• '19 Moderator

Exacty the point I posted, but for hardliners your the devil if you consort with the “enemy” you know bipartisan cooperation… :roll:

• @Guerrilla:

@Jermofoot:

GG - It’s Tuesday and I want my pizza!!!

Don’t you at least appreciate our Budget Cuts?!?! We need the Ammunitions and (garble) wine and cheese for (garble)… Besides all that think of the people of Oceania Comrade!

GG

Hey!  I voted you in because of your pepperoni platform, and now you are reneging?  Typical politician!

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

@dezrtfish:

Exacty the point I posted, but for hardliners your the devil if you consort with the “enemy” you know bipartisan cooperation… :roll:

Yea, cause as we know, when President Bush was the most bi-partisan president in American history he is also known as the greatest President in American histroy too, right???

No?

WTF…you mean presidents like Reagan who’s definition of bi-partisan is you bloody well come over here and work with me or go suck a lemon, are considered great presidents and people like Bush who do almost nothing domestically but what the other side wants get labelled as idiots and failures?

Yea, I want 8 more years of THAT!

Furthermore, the Gang of 14 was not needed to break the logjam.  Republicans were planning to just use their majority to override the fillabusters.  The Gang of 14 just screwed Republicans in an effort to give the Democrats control over the Senate again.  And they’ve been leading the Senate ever since, in fact if not in name.

• '19 Moderator

@Cmdr:

Yea, cause as we know, when President Bush was the most bi-partisan president in American history he is also known as the greatest President in American histroy too, right???

I am aparently one of the few people in the country who is happy with GWB, so this really isn’t a very good arguement for me.
    @Cmdr:

Furthermore, the Gang of 14 was not needed to break the logjam.  Republicans were planning to just use their majority to override the fillabusters.  The Gang of 14 just screwed Republicans in an effort to give the Democrats control over the Senate again.  And they’ve been leading the Senate ever since, in fact if not in name.

What makes more sense:

So you think the Nuclear option was the way to go and now you want to vote for Obama… Hmm, don’t look now your liberal is showing!

• I am betting that a lot of Republicans are REALLY FREAKING GLAD that they did NOT do the “Nuclear Option”, since it would now effectively shut them out of the process altogether…

Shutting the current crop of republicans out is not a bad thing.  They’re just as bad as the democrats.

And yes, my liberal is showing.  I’m rooting for Obama because when he royally screws up this nation, at least it won’t be a republican and then, maybe, we can elect some real conservatives to office who do more then give lip service to conservativism like we had, and fix this nation.

McCain’s just gunna screw it up like Obama.  Only difference is that the democrats will reap the rewards and we’ll get more and more screwed up under their leadership.

Better to give them 4 years now and fix it then give them 40 years later because we elected a liberal who called himself conservative.

• @Cmdr:

Better to give them 4 years now and fix it then give them 40 years later because we elected a liberal who called himself conservative.

I think the reverse of that may be taking effect now…

The Republicans were given a few years in power.  They started off strong after the 1994 elections by working with a moderate Democrat.  Then they got total control and they the alleged Conservatives started spending faster than LBJ.

And we are not talking Bush alone here.  Lots of “old time” Conservatives were willing participants to the drunken sailor spending.

To be honest, I believe that there ARE a fair number of fiscal conservatives out there that are HOPING for Democrats to take control in the hope that the fiscal conservatives will miraculously re-appear as a vocal minority in Congress and we will only have 5%-10% growth in discretionary spending instead of the 20% plus we have “enjoyed” during the Bush Admin.

• '19 Moderator

My point is, by avoiding setting precident of using the “Nuke Option” the minoraty still have the filibuster and there is still some ballance in congress.  Not only that but McCain still managed to get most of the apointments through.

The end justifies the means, in this case I think so anyway…

As for sending McCain has made reducing spending his focus and I’d like to see him get the chance to put up.

If the ends justify the means, then we should genocide all races except one so that there will never again be racial strife on the Earth.

I don’t think I want to buy that policy.  I think the means and the ends should be justified.

And yes, from 1994 for the next 6 years Republicans were in power with the right people in power, but the Democrats started this slander campaign so they could get Republicans to resign.  Any true conservative who was in power was slandered and muck-racked until they voluntarily resigned (since there were no charges to criminalize them with) and we got “Compassionate” conservatives like George Bush Jr.

Compassionate conservates like Bush Jr and McCain are basically democrats who are slightly to the right of the democrat majority, but not on the right wing of the spectrum.

• '19 Moderator

Don’t take me out of context, I said “in this case I think so”  Of course that is not a universal rule, otherwise the Nazi’s would be heros…

Back on topic:

Looks like we finally have a future president that will make Jimmy Carter look competant!

Now that the media has turned on McCain, as I knew they would, and he is losing support left and right out there, and Obama is winning everything in site (11 out of 11 of the last state primaries) it appears Republicans have no hope of getting the White House, as I knew we would NOT with McCain leading the way.

• 2007 AAR League

McCains gonna win.  i hope to hear you cry after he does.  :-D

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/columnists/gerard_baker/article3412540.ece

@balungaloaf:

McCains gonna win.  i hope to hear you cry after he does.  :-D

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/columnists/gerard_baker/article3412540.ece

I highly doubt he will.  The New York Times, Washington Post, Wall Street Journal, Time Magazine and all the rest will, and are, turning on him to get their real man into office.

Americans no longer elect the president.  The Media does.  Obama is their man, McCain is their worst case scenario, instead of a conservative, they get a liberal in conservative clothing.

• @Cmdr:

Back on topic:

Looks like we finally have a future president that will make Jimmy Carter look competant!

Now that the media has turned on McCain,

To finish your quote the way it should ahve been posted…

“Now that the New York Times has turned on McCain, Conservatives are lining up to back him.”

The only thing more “evil” to a Conservative than Hillary Clinton is the New York Times :-P
    The old grey lady just made McCain and Conservatives “the enemy of our enemy is my friend”

While I agree that the enemy of my enemy is USUALLY my friend (if only for a while) I don’t consider McCain the friend of republicans and will not support him.

The New York Times is just the most audible opposition to McCain at this time.  It will get worse and the cacophony of media bashing will degrade into more and more mudslinging as they do Obama’s dirty work for him.

This is what you get when you allow the Media to chose YOUR presidential nominee.  Honestly, there’s really no point in voting anymore, the media choses who is president and who is not now.  The Media will elect Obama, he’s their golden child.  Hillary is out.  The media’s cost her the last 11 primaries so they could get their man, Obama, the democrat nomination.  Just like the media slandered and dragged Romney and other somewhat conservative candidates through the mud to get their man McCain the republican nomination, as a security net against conservatives actually getting the presidency - just in case they failed in electing their man.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m