• I’m a little worried about the quick depreciation/obsolescence of computer components, especially as I’m thinking of building my own system (for the first time!) pretty soon.  So, I’ve got two questions:

1.  Anyone know when DirectX3D (aka DirectX 10) compatible graphics cards will be coming out?  I’ve heard late this year, like October or November, but I was wondering if anyone knew of anything more specific.  Also, any estimations on pricing?

2.  I was all set to go with an AMD 939 processor, something like a AMD 64 3800+.  But then Conroe hit the market, and I’m wondering if I should go for that instead.  It’s dual core and seems to have a much better price to performance ratio.  But, I’d be looking at the lower end of their processors, the 6400 or 6300.  Anyone know of any reviews?  I’ve checked CNET and Tom’s Hardware, but nothing so far.

Thanks!

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

Intel “Conroe” Duo Core processors did 17% better on the benchmark tests, use less power, run cooler and are thus easier to over-clock without damaging the hardware.

PC Magazine, PC World, Computer Shopper

• Thanks, Jen.  I’m still waiting for Tom’s Hardware to update their CPU chart, but my understanding was that Intel initially released only its two top Core 2 Duo processors for testing.  I understand that the other 3-4 lower end processors were also being tested, but I wasn’t sure which if anyone had done it yet.

I probably should just be patient, though, since DirectX 10 cards haven’t even come out.  :-D

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

@Chengora:

Thanks, Jen.  I’m still waiting for Tom’s Hardware to update their CPU chart, but my understanding was that Intel initially released only its two top Core 2 Duo processors for testing.  I understand that the other 3-4 lower end processors were also being tested, but I wasn’t sure which if anyone had done it yet.

I probably should just be patient, though, since DirectX 10 cards haven’t even come out.  :-D

I’m going with the 1.83 Ghz Duo in my laptop.  Should be good enough.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m