L21 #1 max334 (X+5) vs trulpen (A) P2V

• 2024 '22 '21 '19 '18

I think the small window to a win has closed. Would you mind giving me some pointers?

• @max334 said in L21 #1 max334 (X+5) vs trulpen (A) P2V:

I think the small window to a win has closed. Would you mind giving me some pointers?

Does this mean you resign and want some strategic analysis?

• 2024 '22 '21 '19 '18

@trulpen yes it does, unless you think i still have a reasonable chance at getting two Victoria Cities

@trulpen yes it does, unless you think i still have a reasonable chance at getting two Victoria Cities

I agree, it looks more or less impossible to gain 2 VCs without losing any somewhere else. It’s 2-3 turns before another Moscow crush can be attempted and the Allies are coming on strong from all sides.

I’ll try to look at the game now.

• You took down Moscow G5. That’s very early. Kind of took me by surprise there. The conquest of UK-EU was also strong, but more or less a slip by me and good dice (especially when sinking the USN).

At that point it was very close to an Axis win, since you had 8 VCs for half a round. Allies managed to hang on by a thread, but then got rolling.

You had problems with Japan, mainly not being able to control Yunnan and chase away the chinese. When UK-Pac felt relieved there came a lot of pressure from them as well. This seriously impacted income.

Somehow I managed to gain fleet superiority in the Pac and the JN eventually went west to pursue a venture of taking down Cairo. After that J was lost. Perhaps greater focus to match fleet mobilization was needed?

Germany was very strong, but after the intrusion into Caucasus and the thin lines behind the stronghold the position crumbled and Russia could be liberated.

The game gives a lot of errors when looking at history, so I can’t make any deeper detailed analysis than ad memoriam.

• 2024 '22 '21 '19 '18

@trulpen

1. what I remember about Russia is that in favor of reinforcing Moscow you put significant forces on the flanks.
    2. do you remember any significant strategic blunders?
    3. were there times that you remember where you felt relieved that I didn’t exploit a certain situation?
  • 2024 '22 '21 '19 '18

Oh yeah, I also wanted to ask you about Yunnan. I put extra emphasis on trying to take it in the beginning but still failed because the Allies were also determined to keep it. This was my third PTV game, each time as Axis, and I can’t figure out how to take down Yunnan. So I gave up China entirely as I felt it was too expensive to try to take

• 2024 '22 '21 '19 '18

@max334 I also gave up China as I saw the US was adopting a Kill Japan first strategy and so I needed the money for sea power

1. what I remember about Russia is that in favor of reinforcing Moscow you put significant forces on the flanks.

Yes, wanted to pressure Germany, but it was simply bad play on my part. You did well to take advantage of it.

1. do you remember any significant strategic blunders?

Maybe Yunnan then, but I was doing big efforts of making it difficult and costly.

1. were there times that you remember where you felt relieved that I didn’t exploit a certain situation?

Can’t say I do. You took both Moscow and London, which both were heavy setbacks for the Allies. I would have to be able to look at the game more closely in order to find out more about it.

@max334 I also gave up China as I saw the US was adopting a Kill Japan first strategy and so I needed the money for sea power

That’s a problem for J, to get enough land-units into Asia. Maybe even more effort was needed to subdue China, especially since that conquest also funds the needed fleet mobilization.

• Eventually J’s economy inflated and then collapsed. As you point out, it’s necessary to be able to contest the ocean.

• Btw, just a formality, but would you like to report the result in the post results thread?

• 2024 '22 '21 '19 '18

@trulpen we dont need formalities

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m