• '17 '16 '15 '14 '12

In the standard Global 1940se setup, UK often slams z97 with the classic Taranto raid.  The order of battle in this standard move might go something like UK destroyer, cruiser, carrier, 3 fighters, tac, bomber versus Italian cruiser, battleship, transport, maybe 2 Italian fighters and maybe 1 German fighter or tac.  That assumes UK did not scramble at z110/z111, and with this all-out Taranto attack, UK has 95% odds of winning even with 3 axis fighters scrambled.  There is also often a cruiser and fighter available to hit the transport and destroyer in z96 by Malta, because Germany usually likes to send its subs to help sink both UK fleets in z110 and z111 with minimal air losses.

Now suppose we complicate things a bit with this pair of setup tweaks:
    ** 1) move the Italian transport in z97 by Albania over to z95 by Sicily
    2) change the UK destroyer in z98 into a sub**

These changes make it even more important for UK to do a Taranto raid (but on z95 instead of z97) because there are 2 transports there instead of 1.  However the order of battle is changed to UK sub, 3 fighters, tac, bomber, and maybe a cruiser versus Italian sub, destroyer, cruiser, 2 transports, and up to 3 planes. Notice that UK has no destroyer present so air units can’t hit the Italian sub.  Also notice that the carrier can’t be used as a hit soaker in z96 because it has to be able to NCM into z95 as a possible landing spot (although in reality it might join the French ships in z93 if there is no scramble and the planes survive)

The stakes are a lot higher with this setup because UK has 83% odds with the cruiser, but only 60% odds without the cruiser (assuming 3 fighters scrambled).  That makes the z98 cruiser very important so Germany should be more likely to divert a sub or two there, in which case they would not be able to sink both z110 and z111.  If UK scrambles they may  use both mediterranean cruisers as blockers in z96 and z99 to stop an invasion of Egypt.

Wondering if you guys think this tweak would favour the axis or the allies?  I think it favours Itay in the short run, but more strongly helps the allies in the long run by changing Germany’s opening move and give UK a better chance.  This might possibly reduce the need for bids, and also make the opening round even more exciting because of tense decisions over scrambles etc.

• Sponsor

I agree that a small adjustment like what you describe would help to balance the Med.

• Customizer

I think you might have misquoted the sea zone with the UK Cruiser that you mentioned would be more important.
    You said:
    “that makes the z98 cruiser very important so Germany should be more likely to divert a sub or two there”

Were you meaning sea zone 91? Because that would make much more sense to me. I am also assuming that is the “maybe” UK cruiser that could be involved in the attack on the Italian fleet in SZ 95, since there is no way that the SZ 98 cruiser could get there on round 1.
    So you have 2 fighters and 1 bomber from London, 1 fighter from Malta, 1 tac and 1 sub from SZ 98 and the “maybe” cruiser from SZ 91.
    What do you use to hit the Italian destroyer and transport in SZ 96? The Gibraltar fighter, the SZ 98 cruiser or both?

• '17 '16 '15 '14 '12

yep. sorry I meant the one next to Gibraltar.

Thanks YG

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m