• Does anyone use the rule allowing German subs to convoy for 3?

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

Yes.

• What does it add to the game apart from being a fun little gimmick?

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

It encourages a number of different German Strategies.  Makes Germany more willing to buy subs, and allows more more in-depth strategic gameplay.

• Sounds good.

• i have another question:

let´s assume the german player gets one or more subs to seazone 101 (east coast usa) without declaring war to the US.
    round 3, US declares war in the income-phase, right? does it mean, that a convoy-raid will occur that the US never can avoid, since subs can only be defeated in the combat-phase?

could be a fun point extra for germany and an incentive to produce more subs.

greetz

• I think the subs will take away some income, but why bother? For ever 2 ipcs the US loses, Germany loses a 6 ipc sub

• @calvinhobbesliker:

I think the subs will take away some income, but why bother? For ever 2 ipcs the US loses, Germany loses a 6 ipc sub

The subs will only take away income if the US declares war on Germany during their collect income phase.

But I don’t believe they are REQUIRED to declare war on ALL axis powers in order to collect their at war bonus; just one (probably Italy, if Germany had parked subs, or Japan in the Global game).  If the US doesn’t have ships in position to block movement (the only reason to specifically declare war on Germany) then they only need to declare war on a single power.  And unlike Anzac/UK, Germany and Italy don’t share the exact same diplomatic status with other countries.

So yes, if the US declared war on Germany in US3 collect income phase, for that one turn, Germany would be able to disrupt income, and the US would have no way to respond (as they couldn’t kill the subs during their combat phase as they were still neutral) and Germany could possibly move the subs away on G4 to safer seazones (temporarily).  But under current rules for US DOWs in US3 collect income phase, a wise US player wouldn’t let Germany do that and would declare war only on Italy (for the time being, until US4 combat move).

• I believe a US declaration of war against one Axis power means the US is at war with all.  The answer to the questions appears to be, yes, the US may lose income they can’t avoid, for one turn anyway.

• @dinosaur:

I believe a US declaration of war against one Axis power means the US is at war with all.  The answer to the questions appears to be, yes, the US may lose income they can’t avoid, for one turn anyway.

No. The US has the OPTION to declare war on any and all axis powers.

• thanx for the quick answers!

actually, i am in a game in which i try a strong-sub-navy-strategy. i am not sure about it, but we will see.
    i am going to post results later on.

• lots of sub help stalling an american progress, this for sure. but it is hard to find best positions on the map where you can “hide” yourself from destroyers etc. and counterattack later on.

but it helps.

maybe next time i will spend the french money on mostly subs and bombers. maybe like this: G1 3 subs, 1 bomber, G2 (63 IPCs) 6 subs, 2 bombers. so one can have up to 10 subs and 4 bombers as germany. after that planes and infantry…etc.

any ideas about it?

rock`n roll

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m