• Does anyone think its a good idea to help italy in the med and land Herr general Rommel with his afrika korps?

I think it is……but Germany got to take southern france, less ipc for Italy and put a minor and some navy wich cost some valuable ipc’s but in fact there’s a NO for the german to be in Egypt so… i dont know, what you guys think?

And by the way if ya can talk about those two ideas

• Ic in Romania ?

• Upgrade the minor in Germany?

• I’d much rather see S. France go to Italy and Germany just ship some planes over to bolster the Italians.  Italy needs every IPC it can grab in the beginning and besides, a German IC in Romania is better placed because it can help both Italy and the Russian front.

It MIGHT be a interesting strategy to let Germany take Gibralter instead of Italy.  That could become a really huge thorn in the Allies side, especially if Germany can base a stack of Subs and a fighter/Tac combo on it.

• It really depends on the game.  Did the Italian fleet get sunk on the first turn?  Or did the British go for conservation of their naval forces?

I used all of the 70 IPC’s Germany got after G1 to build troops/planes to invade the USSR.  I’m on the verge of capturing Leningrad and hence will not build a factory in Romania.  Italian troops have captured Egypt and are poised to enter Syria this turn.  A minor factory there would be interesting.

If Italy truly needed help I’d go for a minor in Yugo rather then bending over backwards for Southern France - Italy needs those IPC’s.

• Hum interesting idea, didnt think about this minor ic in yougoslavia, more usefull than a minor ic in southern france

• '10

I think ITALY needs to have southern France.  Not only for the IPC value but so that Italy can help counter attack Paris if taken by allies (Just like in AA50).

In the game I played Germany took Greece and Italy took Yugoslavia.  Having Greece gave Germany the option to get involved in the Med if things got ugly for Italy.  It would also be a good position for an IC as it is protected from the Western Allies who will be at Gibraltar and Morocco early on. IMO

• Paris can also be directly attacked from Northern Italy. Don’t need Southern France for that.

• I like the idea of Germany taking souther France.  It seems that have fleet operations in the med would be useful for a cople of reasons:

1. With smaller amounts of troops in Africa (than in Europe) a “hopping over” or “can-opener” strategy may work well.  An example might be say Germany landing troops to take both Egypt and Trans-Jordan, then Italy can sail through the Suez on the same turn.

2. Italy or germany caputures a land territory in Africa with the other power landing fighters for reinforcements.

Might be interesting to see.

• you can just load some german tanks on an italian transport

• @Napoleon:

Does anyone think its a good idea to help italy in the med and land Herr general Rommel with his afrika korps?

I think it is……but Germany got to take southern france, less ipc for Italy and put a minor and some navy wich cost some valuable ipc’s but in fact there’s a NO for the german to be in Egypt so… i dont know, what you guys think?

And by the way if ya can talk about those two ideas

• Ic in Romania ?

• Upgrade the minor in Germany?

Come up with your own strategy. Don’t do that which is always done, or you’ll end up with what is always “got”.

• Germany has the abality to take southern France on G1 and i think they should while Italy focuses on the Balkans. Italy is better off focusing its fleet in the eastern med until they have secured Egypt, safe from the bulk of the allied fleets. Germany can use southern France to protect Italys western flank by building a minor IC and producing subs a fighters and Tac’s.
    With a larger economy, Germany is better suited to producing a token force to keep the allies in the western med in check. Once Italy has secured Egypt (ideally with a minor ic) it can then swing its fleet into the western med to support the Germans and keep the allies out for good! (in theroy anyway  :-D )

• Better the germans then anyone else

• @Tavenier:

Paris can also be directly attacked from Northern Italy. Don’t need Southern France for that.

Not with infantry, so it’ll cost you!

• @Koningstiger:

@Tavenier:

Paris can also be directly attacked from Northern Italy. Don’t need Southern France for that.

Not with infantry, so it’ll cost you!

Paris and Northern Italy border eachother…. You can attack France I1 with at least the five Italian units they start with in NI.

• @Tavenier:

Paris and Northern Italy border eachother…. You can attack France I1 with at least the five Italian units they start with in NI.

No they dont, Northern Italy borders southern France, Switzerland, southern Germany and Yugoslavia, they do not share a border with France proper, they can not attack Paris on I1 with more than 3 units (1 tank, 2 fighters) and unless Germany softens them up first they have very little chance of success. Even then, it would still be a gamble with the bulk if Italys offensive power.

• @Clyde85:

@Tavenier:

No they dont, Northern Italy borders southern France, Switzerland, southern Germany and Yugoslavia, they do not share a border with France proper, they can not attack Paris on I1 with more than 3 units (1 tank, 2 fighters) and unless Germany softens them up first they have very little chance of success. Even then, it would still be a gamble with the bulk if Italys offensive power.

I don’t have the map in front of me, but from memory this is also what I think. hence it’s not a good idea for Italy to attack France proper.

• Yes, France (Paris) and Northern Italy do border eachother.

Go to the main axisandallies.org page, go to the first topic about Europe (Out of the box), scroll down to the western map and look between Switzerland and Southern France.

• Ah! So it dose! I own a copy myself but somehow missed that. More importantly, it is still a bad idea for Italy to attack France with out the Germans softening them up first, and if Germany is going to have to soften them up, they may as well take it. Germany has more it needs to do and will need the extra IPC’s more than Italy. Italy should be focusing its forces in the eastern Med and the balkans where it can rapidly redeploy to the mid-east/north africa if need be

• Yes, I do think it is illogical, but they are bordering territories.

Italy can’t take on Paris alone. Especially because the Brits move first. But if an attack from Germany fails (because they are greedy and want all RN sunk and are conquering Normandy) Italy can attempt it.

• I suppose, but it’s still a risky gambit of Italy. I think Germany can pull off an invasion of France and destroy most of the RN on its opening turn, as long as the hit France with 8 inf, 1 or 2 Arty, 5 tanks and 3 Tacs, and do atleast 5(6 would be better) hits against the allies and take no more than 6 themselves in the first round of combat. Commiting the rest of their airforces to attacking the RN will increas their chances of success in those battles, and create a greater threat to London, and if the Germans are threating the capital, Britian is less likely to build forces outside of the UK itslef, helping Italy in africa in the long run

• True. In all my games so far however, France was only attacked by land forces. All forces the Germans can send. Germany left Normandy for a later turn. Normandy adds little except for 2 IPC and a minor IC which doesn’t get used in G2 because the UK won’t have any trannies left.

I use all my aircraft to attack RN and by doing so only leave the Britons their fleet near Gibraltar.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m