• Yes, France (Paris) and Northern Italy do border eachother.

Go to the main axisandallies.org page, go to the first topic about Europe (Out of the box), scroll down to the western map and look between Switzerland and Southern France.

• Ah! So it dose! I own a copy myself but somehow missed that. More importantly, it is still a bad idea for Italy to attack France with out the Germans softening them up first, and if Germany is going to have to soften them up, they may as well take it. Germany has more it needs to do and will need the extra IPC’s more than Italy. Italy should be focusing its forces in the eastern Med and the balkans where it can rapidly redeploy to the mid-east/north africa if need be

• Yes, I do think it is illogical, but they are bordering territories.

Italy can’t take on Paris alone. Especially because the Brits move first. But if an attack from Germany fails (because they are greedy and want all RN sunk and are conquering Normandy) Italy can attempt it.

• I suppose, but it’s still a risky gambit of Italy. I think Germany can pull off an invasion of France and destroy most of the RN on its opening turn, as long as the hit France with 8 inf, 1 or 2 Arty, 5 tanks and 3 Tacs, and do atleast 5(6 would be better) hits against the allies and take no more than 6 themselves in the first round of combat. Commiting the rest of their airforces to attacking the RN will increas their chances of success in those battles, and create a greater threat to London, and if the Germans are threating the capital, Britian is less likely to build forces outside of the UK itslef, helping Italy in africa in the long run

• True. In all my games so far however, France was only attacked by land forces. All forces the Germans can send. Germany left Normandy for a later turn. Normandy adds little except for 2 IPC and a minor IC which doesn’t get used in G2 because the UK won’t have any trannies left.

I use all my aircraft to attack RN and by doing so only leave the Britons their fleet near Gibraltar.

• I’ve seen the Germans take all 3 mainland French tt on turn one, however they failed to take out all of the royal navy, though in a risky gambit the German player did manage to sink the DD and get a hit on the AC off the coast of Gibtraltar. They killed off everything else except the BB abd DD in the english channel, which he paid for the next turn when this fleet sunk the German Cruiser and BB.

I think the best tactic for the Germans after the fall of France is to build 2 concentrations, one of fighters in France and one of Tanks in Poland/Rumania, and support these with Tac bombers

• @Clyde85:

I’ve seen the Germans take all 3 mainland French tt on turn one, however they failed to take out all of the royal navy, though in a risky gambit the German player did manage to sink the DD and get a hit on the AC off the coast of Gibtraltar. They killed off everything else except the BB abd DD in the english channel, which he paid for the next turn when this fleet sunk the German Cruiser and BB.

I think the best tactic for the Germans after the fall of France is to build 2 concentrations, one of fighters in France and one of Tanks in Poland/Rumania, and support these with Tac bombers

Sounds good, but don’t forget you also need ample cannonfodder (infantry).

• Yes indeed, I would think that initialy the infantry from southern Germand and Germany would provide the nesscary cannon fodder, combined with the troops already in eastern Europe.

My stratgey for Germany is to keep a large stack of Tac bombers centraly located in their tt, like in western Germany. Then keeping a stack or 2 of fighters in France, and stacks of tanks in the east so that you can strike at both Britian and the Soviet Union, using the stac of tacs (hehe stack of tacs  :-D ) as a fire brigade of sorts. This way you can rapidly respond to both fronts, keeping Britian in check and making advances in the Soviet Union at will.

• My concern is having to defend another factory in S. France from the U.S.A.  ie from a Gibraltar attack.

I would prefer a minor factory in Yugo

• I can see a fair case for both. My strat with Italy is to focus on the Balkans and keep my fleet in the eastern Med, away from the British in the Atlantic and close enough to redeploy to Egypt/mid-east should I need to. I would prefer the Germans to have southern France just so they have an easy jumping point and because, with the larger income, can more easily afford to build fleets there as nesscary.

@jeffdestroyer:

My concern is having to defend another factory in S. France from the U.S.A.  ie from a Gibraltar attack.

Remember, with the fighter stacks I mentioned and the Tac bomber firebrigade, you could easily counter attack and destroy any invasion in that area

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m