• I had my first go at E1940. I was the axis.

Managed to take out all British Navy in Atlantic except the carrier and destroyer off Iberia and the Cruiser down south (used all the planes). I only lost one fighter and one sub from it (pretty happy with the rolling).

I hit Normandy with two men and an artillery (took it with the artillery).

I hit France with everything else that could reach. I ended up losing to the French fighter.

In the end, Italy took France and Southern France I1 and got a fair bit of cash which it used to good effect securing Gibraltar and building a minor IC on Egypt, but Germany, even with its massive navy, was having trouble getting enough to the Soviet Union’s wall of men (backed up by a wall of mech and tanks, backed up by a wall of fighters and tacs).

I would generally advise against Germany not taking France on G1.

My question is, what do you hit France with on G1? I assume, on the whole, almost every ground unit that can reach is put in, but how many fighters, planes, bomber etc do you use.

The trade off is losing more in the Atlantic battle and potentially not sweeping the Isles clear of Royal Navy. Any opinions? Maybe it is worth leaving a few boats in the Atlantic in exchange for taking France cleanly.

• I had the same problem not taking France last Saturday. Next time I will leave Normandy untouched on G1 and put those units into taking France instead.

• Sounds like some bad luck with the roll of the dice.  From reading other game play reviews it seems like Germany should be able to take Normandy and Paris.

I haven’t played yet so I can’t say how many units you can take in.  Assuming your not attempting Sealion you should split your aircraft between sinking the RBN and taking Normandy/Paris.

• It all really depends on the dice. Sometimes you can sink all the Allied ships in the Atlantic with negligible losses, sometimes you lose catastrophic amounts (i.e. most of your air force and submarines, along with your surface fleet). Same with the Allied forces in France.

Actually, although it all depends on the dice, I think that the more air power you divert to one objective, the less chance you have of success of taking another objective (Germany’s primary objectives are sinking the RN, and taking France).

• Because Germany did not take France, things went badly. Italy taking France puts the money in the wrong place. Taking Normandy on turn two is fine vs not taking France on G1.

• not true because you can’t collect income or mobilize new units with out a capital and if you lose Paris then France is out of the game

• '22 '19 '18

I will send all available ground minus 2 inf 1 art for Normandy and I will send 2 tac bombers from W. Germ otherwise the rest of the Luft is heading for the RN.

• Have had no issue taking France and Normandy.  Can take out the RN with out any real problems - Sometimes kill the stuff off Canada, sometimes leave it - depends on the vibe I am getting from the dice Gods….

• and by the way…I sometimes send the two tanks from south germany to southern france instead of taking normandy in G1…nice little option that gives germany access to the med…

• @Plasticdeathbydice:

and by the way…I sometimes send the two tanks from south germany to southern france instead of taking normandy in G1…nice little option that gives germany access to the med…

That takes 8 IPCs away from Italy and gives 3 to Germany. That’s a 5 IPC deficit. Also, Germany would not be able to have ships in the Med until G3 even if they did take Southern France (G1 capture, G2 put IC, G3 build ships), and wouldn’t be able to move them until G4. Giving it to Italy allows 3 IPCs in the Med for the Axis earlier and another 5 later.

Another thing, Germany desperately needs to spend its IPCs elsewhere, as it needs to fight for the Atlantic AND the Motherland. Leave the Med to Italy.

• The Italians get their NO if any of the Axis control Southern Italy. So if Germany (or Japan, for some reason) controls Southern Italy, the Italians still get their NO, assuming they control the other necessary territories.

• @GrizzlyMan:

The Italians get their NO if any of the Axis control Southern Italy. So if Germany (or Japan, for some reason) controls Southern Italy, the Italians still get their NO, assuming they control the other necessary territories.

Ooh. You are right. So this IS a viable option, but I still don’t see Germany having extra IPCs to be spending in the Med, at least not until they’ve practically won anyways.

• Like I said…just an option…you never know…gotta keep a sub out there at all times now…

• okay here is what I do take (1sub, 1fighter) to 109 (2subs, 1fighter, 1tatical) to 110 and 111 (battelship cruiser fighter tatical) to 112
    (infantry, artillery) to Normandy (5infantry, artillery, 4 mech, 5tanks, bomber) to France

-this will let you take out most of the RN with just subs as loses and there will nothing that the U.K. can do take europe.

• france will be controlled by Germany.
    • just build a destoryer in seasone 112 to prevent fighter attack on your navy.
    • build a minor factory in Romaina this will frist let you build units in a better position in eastern europe + let you build subs for the med. with this and Normandy you should be able to help out Italy enough

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m