• So we have “Low Luck” on one side and “Dice” on the other.

Dice is not so fun when you send those 2 bombers to SBR and the AA-gun gets snake-eyes (2 ones).

On the other hand I dont like the fact, that if you send 2 figthers into combat they will automagically scor a hit.

So what to do?  :?

I prosose Medium Luck.

I can think of 2 variations:

• Medium Luck 4
    • Medium Luck 5

It all works a bit like LL, exept there are no garanteed kills.

Instead of summing all the combat points and divide by 6 - and throw a dice for the reminder.
    We just Sum all the combat points and divide by 4 or 5 - and throw a dice for each and a dice for the reminder.

EX1:
     Attack - 2 figters (2x3 = 6)
     Defense - 1 destroyer (1x2 = 2)

Medium Luck 4 Attack - 6/4 = 1 dice (1,2,3,4 is a hit) with a reminder of dice 1 (1,2 is a hit)
     Medium Luck 4 Defense - 2/4 = 1 dice (1,2 is a hit)
     Medium Luck 5 Attack - 6/5 = 1 dice (1,2,3,4,5 is a hit) with a reminder of dice 1 (1 is a hit)
     Medium Luck 5 Defense - 2/5 = 1 dice (1,2 is a hit)

EX2:
     Attack - 2 inf, 1 art, 2 tanks, 1 bomb (1x1, 2x2, 2x3, 1x4 = 15)
     Defense - 2 inf, 1 art, 1 tanks, 1 fighter (3x2, 1x3, 1x4 = 12)

Medium Luck 4 Attack - 15/4 = 3 dice (1,2,3,4 is a hit) with a reminder of dice 1 (1,2,3 is a hit)
     Medium Luck 4 Defense - 12/4 = 3 dice (1,2,3,4 is a hit)
     Medium Luck 5 Attack - 15/5 = 3 dice (1,2,3,4,5 is a hit)
     Medium Luck 5 Defense - 12/5 = 2 dice (1,2,3,4,5 is a hit) with a reminder of dice 1 (1,2 is a hit)

What do you think? I think it is a fair compromise.
    6 infs attacking cant score 6 hits, like in dice!
    On the other hand, it is extreamly unlikely that large armies will lose to smaller ones.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

It’s over complicated.

it leads to further irregularities.

It just makes people adjust to a different mathematical system on a 4 or 5 scale.

Good theory though…

Better to create a margin and roll dice.

Setting a limit for most and least hits you can get, and then die rolling.  you still get dice, no one gets trounched, and there’s no acute math  control,  past what you would normally see.

Combat could take longer though…

• What my friends and I do when playing on the board is ‘‘player’s choice’’.

It’s really simple, the player can choose either low luck or dices everytime it’s his turn to roll.

So an attacker could elect low luck on his initial attack, the defender then can choose dices on his rolls. On rnd 2 of the battle, the attacker still has the choice and can switch to dices and so can the defender decide low luck from there.

We found this settled any discussion about ‘‘dices’’ . It also keeps AA guns a real threat. You can decide for yourself but you won’t decide for your opponent ;)

• You could also go by unit type so my 7 infantry get one hit and 1 roll @1 etc.

• I like the idea that a poster said his face to face group was using. Each country gets a “diced” card. Once per game, either on offense or defense, a country can play their “diced” card. This makes the battle be re-rolled and those results, no matter the outcome, stand.

• @a44bigdog:

I like the idea that a poster said his face to face group was using. Each country gets a “diced” card. Once per game, either on offense or defense, a country can play their “diced” card. This makes the battle be re-rolled and those results, no matter the outcome, stand.

Like a mulligan then (for those who might get golf lingo better :-P)?

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

Corbeau’s solution is best.

I tried it this weekend playing against both of my brothers who constantly complain about getting “diced” in Axis and Allies.  It worked awesome.

It does change some game dynamics, but damn, It’s nice being able to choose.  Especially when your dice are HOT!  It keeps things interesting.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m