• Hi,

New to A&A….decided to bite the bullet with AAP40 and pretty pleased i looked past the errors as its been well worth it.

Only completed the few games and with a few necessary assumptions on the rules so thought i’d better get clarify some points.

1: Is the burma road counted as open if China controls some territories without containing any other Allies units (is China technically an ally?) and the UK controls the remaining ones?

2:a I’m a little confused of naval unit bombardment - is it only possible to do this before (or as part of) an amphibious assualt and not simply to reduce the forces in a coastal territory?
    b.Whats the practical/historical basis for this rule?
    c.In which case if a nation which to invade a territory from a neighbouring territory and though naval attack it is only through general combat?

3:a. In the game, chinese infantry/artillery can be placed in any control territory?
    b. For other nations is this true of infantry or must they be created with other land units in industrial complexes?

Thanks…looking forward to AAE40!!!

• Official Q&A

Welcome to the game and to the forums, gMonty!

@gMonty:

New to A&A….decided to bite the bullet with AAP40 and pretty pleased i looked past the errors as its been well worth it.

We’re glad you like it!

@gMonty:

1: Is the burma road counted as open if China controls some territories without containing any other Allies units (is China technically an ally?) and the UK controls the remaining ones?

Yes, China is an Allied power.  As long as any power other than Japan controls all of the territories along the Burma Road when China collects income, China gets the bonus.  China may purchase artillery if Japan doesn’t control any of those territories when China purchases units.

@gMonty:

2:a I’m a little confused of naval unit bombardment - is it only possible to do this before (or as part of) an amphibious assualt and not simply to reduce the forces in a coastal territory?

Yes, it’s only possible in conjuction with an amphibious assault.

@gMonty:

b.Whats the practical/historical basis for this rule?

A single round in A&A plays out over several months of “real” time.  Naval shore bombardment was done in preparation for an eventual invasion.  Allowing it even one turn before the actual assault would be the equivalent of bombarding the shore three to six months before the troops landed.

@gMonty:

c.In which case if a nation which to invade a territory from a neighbouring territory and though naval attack it is only through general combat?

If I understand your question correctly, because there are amphibious troops participating in the land battle, it will be fought in the amphibious assault portion of the phase rather than in the general combat portion of the phase.

@gMonty:

3:a. In the game, chinese infantry/artillery can be placed in any control territory?

Yes, they can be placed in any original Chinese terrtory that is controlled by China when the units are placed, even those recaptured in the current turn.

@gMonty:

b. For other nations is this true of infantry or must they be created with other land units in industrial complexes?

All other powers may mobilize units, includiing infantry, only in territories containing industrial complexes.

• Thanks a lot Krieghubd….all makes perfect sense.

One final misunderstanding for now.

The rules state that China keeps its IPCs, meaning Japan does not gain from chinese territories.
    Does that mean China keeps IPCs for all it starts with and any more it gains thoughout the game (assuming it controls any territories)?

Thanks

• @gMonty:

Thanks a lot Krieghubd….all makes perfect sense.

One final misunderstanding for now.

The rules state that China keeps its IPCs, meaning Japan does not gain from chinese territories.
    Does that mean China keeps IPCs for all it starts with and any more it gains thoughout the game (assuming it controls any territories)?

Thanks

No.  Japan does gain IPC value from the chinese territories it controls, and China only collects IPCs at total value of what it controls during the collect income phase.  What the rule addresses is that China does NOT surrender its IPC’s when all chinese territories are captured as it has no Capitol.  If all of china falls to Japan, china keeps whatever cash it has and the first turn it starts with a territory under its control again (liberated by some allied power) it can spend on units again and collects IPCs again

• Official Q&A

To clarify what kcdzim said, normally a power must surrender any unspent IPCs that it may have if its capital territory is captured by an enemy power.  Having no capital, China is an exception to this rule.

• i see….so if a capital territory is captured and then liberated by another ally, does the original power then claim the IPCs or the liberating power?

If a power is the last to control a territory but moves all its units out of a territory, it continues to collect the IPCs?

Realted to these two questions, is whether a power may be eliminated by destroying all its units and taking its territories?

Thanks

• Official Q&A

@gMonty:

i see….so if a capital territory is captured and then liberated by another ally, does the original power then claim the IPCs or the liberating power?

Neither.  You only take IPCs when you capture an enemy capital, not when you recapture a friendly one.

@gMonty:

If a power is the last to control a territory but moves all its units out of a territory, it continues to collect the IPCs?

Yes.  It remains under that power’s control until it is captured by an enemy power.

@gMonty:

Realted to these two questions, is whether a power may be eliminated by destroying all its units and taking its territories?

A power is never eliminated.  Its capital can always be liberated by a friendly power.

• OK…seem to pretty much have the rules sorted in our heads now.

Something i may have missed but which we assumed was that powers have IPCs equal to their starting values at the begnning of the game.

Is this corect, can powers buy units in turn 1?

Also can aircraft destroy unprotected transports?

Thanks.

• '10

Something i may have missed but which we assumed was that powers have IPCs equal to their starting values at the begnning of the game.

yes, each power starts with IPC’s equal to the territories it controls at the setup of the game

can powers buy units in turn 1?

yes, powers can purchase units during their first turn

Also can aircraft destroy unprotected transports?

yes, during combat, if aircraft commit to the seazone (meaning they just cant fly over on their way to other combat)  that contains the unprotected transport, the transport is automatically eliminated

• Thanks.

Just thought of a couple more which we’d assumed during the game which might not be valid.

Do air unit moves include from island/coastal territory to neighbouring sea zone? Or is this a +0 move?

Can land units (with move 1) load onto and off a transport in a single movement phase?
    i.e. does loading and unloading count as a move?

Thanks

• Official Q&A

@gMonty:

Do air unit moves include from island/coastal territory to neighbouring sea zone? Or is this a +0 move?

It costs one movement point to cross any boundary, including from an island to its surrounding sea zone or vice versa.

@gMonty:

Can land units (with move 1) load onto and off a transport in a single movement phase?
    i.e. does loading and unloading count as a move?

Yes.  Loading and/or unloading uses a land unit’s entire movement, whether it can move one or two spaces normally.  It can load, unload, or both, but it can’t move before or after doing so.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m