Attacking Japan from America

• You can send a FIG to combat so long as it has a place to land.  And if that LZ is an AC, and the AC has to move to make it a legal LZ, then y ou declare that movement in Combat Movement.

So, in the example above, the AC could simply be DECLARED to intend to move to SZ60 to recover the FIG(s), but not be required to mvoe there until NCM.  And if there are no FIGs left that need the AC to land, then the AC can move wherever it wants.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

The way I understood it is that you declare combat and if moving the AC to recover fighters is needed for the fighters to engage in combat, then you declare it’s movement, which also means it has to move there.

That’s all.  not saying you’re wrong on it, just explaining why I came to the solution I did.

• 2007 AAR League

I understand this the same way Switch does…

The fighter needs to have a potential landing spot to engage in combat.  In the non-combat, if the fighter still lives and the only potential landing spot was an AC, then the AC must move and allow the fighter to land (no kamikaze fighters allowed).

• 2007 AAR League

@Jennifer:

The way I understood it is that you declare combat and if moving the AC to recover fighters is needed for the fighters to engage in combat, then you declare it’s movement, which also means it has to move there.Â

That’s all.  not saying you’re wrong on it, just explaining why I came to the solution I did.

Well you are wrong!!!  :-P

:-D

That is how I read it the first time too but the rules make a very specific case of a CV being declared as moving during the NCM to recover fighters that moved during the CM.  I guess it is not quite a suicide attack, just a “no retreat” attack since the FTR has to clear the sea zone so the CV can enter it on NCM so the FTR can land.

Or perhaps the FTR can still retreat and in that fashion move a 5th sea zone that the CV would NCM to…

:?

• 2007 AAR League

@Baghdaddy:

Or perhaps the FTR can still retreat and in that fashion move a 5th sea zone that the CV would NCM to…

No.

• 2007 AAR League

@rjclayton:

@Baghdaddy:

No.

Correct.

The explanation (from LHTR) :

Air Units:
    When you designate that an air unit will retreat, return it to the game board battle site. It will retreat as a noncombat move when all other air units finish their moves in the noncombat move phase. Air units can retreat to any friendly territory within their total movement range.
    A fighter can retreat to a friendly aircraft carrier or to a friendly sea zone, as long as a carrier moves there this turn. Your fighter may also end its noncombat move in a sea zone adjacent to an industrial complex you own if you have purchased an aircraft carrier that turn and will subsequently place that carrier in the sea zone where your fighter ends its
    turn.

Since the FTR in this example has already used up all 4 movement points in the Combat Move, it has no points left for Non Combat Move.  By retreating before clearing the sea zone it dooms itself to a “splash” since the CV can not move in on the Non Combat Move.

• Hey,

Thats silly you would think you could move the CV to that sea zone on a NCM just like you could move reinforcement INF from a neighboring frontline territory in a land situation.

• 2007 AAR League

Actually, you could move a carrier in there if there were no hostiles, but in this particular situation we are talking about retreating a carrier from naval combat, so since it was involved in combat it would not be able to move in non-combat, and thus your fighters would splash.

If you had another carrier in the vicinity you could move it there in non-combat to catch the fighter, but a) if you retreated there are probably still enemy vessels present (unless only fighters were left), and b) if you had it available why wouldn’t you have moved it there in combat to beef up your obviously marginal attack?

• OK,

Sorry I missed that. Yeah I understand now.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

Sopmeone needs to fix TripleA then cause it requires the carrier to be in range to retrive the fighters before it lets you move them to the battle.  Of course, TripleA is one A’ed up program to begin with.  Maybe we should just scrap it with a good old fashioned bonfire?

• Hey,

I’m with Jen, A&A game play is so easy any one playing about a dozen times has most unit costs, movement, attack, defence stats memorized. Not to mention have a visual in their head of the scenario a noob is describing as well as have a typical “what will be left after a round of combat.” If a human can do all that in their head tripleA leaves a lot to be desired, I think!

• 2007 AAR League

The below average 16 year old can drive a car at 60 miles an hour on the free way but a computer can’t.

I’m not ready to scrap AAA but then again, I only use it for play testing stupid ideas.

• 2007 AAR League

@Baghdaddy:

@rjclayton:

@Baghdaddy:

No.

Correct.

The explanation (from LHTR) :

Air Units:
    When you designate that an air unit will retreat, return it to the game board battle site. It will retreat as a noncombat move when all other air units finish their moves in the noncombat move phase. Air units can retreat to any friendly territory within their total movement range.
    A fighter can retreat to a friendly aircraft carrier or to a friendly sea zone, as long as a carrier moves there this turn. Your fighter may also end its noncombat move in a sea zone adjacent to an industrial complex you own if you have purchased an aircraft carrier that turn and will subsequently place that carrier in the sea zone where your fighter ends its
    turn.

Since the FTR in this example has already used up all 4 movement points in the Combat Move, it has no points left for Non Combat Move.  By retreating before clearing the sea zone it dooms itself to a “splash” since the CV can not move in on the Non Combat Move.

1. You buy a CV with Germany. 
    2. Lets say you attack the central med with Germany.  You would be able to attack there with a Norway fighter (4 moves).  Let’s say you attacked there with other units too.  You choose to lose the Norway fighter as order of loss.
    3. You could choose to place the CV in the Baltic Sea or Central Med.

• Well Baghdaddy,

You make a valid point. I know I’m impartial to the 98 CD-Rom version. He and I go back almost 10 years now, its the second oldest friend I got.

• 2007 AAR League

I suppose I’m a TripleA defender, so here goes.

@Jennifer:

Sopmeone needs to fix TripleA then cause it requires the carrier to be in range to retrive the fighters before it lets you move them to the battle.  Of course, TripleA is one A’ed up program to begin with.  Maybe we should just scrap it with a good old fashioned bonfire?

I believe this carrier bug is being resolved.  But honestly, who cares?  It’s always been easy to fool tripleA in your combat move by 1) moving your carrier within range to retrieve fighters, 2) moving your fighters to combat, and 3) undoing the carrier move.  Yeah, let’s scrap the best thing that’s happened to Axis and Allies online play, because there is a carrier glitch that is easy to work around.  Man!

@losttribe04:

Hey,

I’m with Jen, A&A game play is so easy any one playing about a dozen times has most unit costs, movement, attack, defence stats memorized. Not to mention have a visual in their head of the scenario a noob is describing as well as have a typical “what will be left after a round of combat.” If a human can do all that in their head tripleA leaves a lot to be desired, I think!

It is true that these game mechanics are well known to most experienced players, and yet there are always multiple errors when playing online with pieces going missing on a map, or forgetting to non-com your planes, etc. etc. etc.  TripleA resolves these issues.  Without making the players have to worry about it.

• The biggest thing in triple A’s defense is as far as I know its the only way to post your dice roles w/o taking the other players work for it. (It helps keep honest people honest.)

• @Baghdaddy:

The below average 16 year old can drive a car at 60 miles an hour on the free way but a computer can’t.

Not true.

• @losttribe04:

The biggest thing in triple A’s defense is as far as I know its the only way to post your dice roles w/o taking the other players work for it. (It helps keep honest people honest.)

And it also looks quite nice and is easy to use and is free and lets you play live?

• You can post dice rolls on this site.

DiceRolling 5d6:
    (1, 3, 5, 5, 6)

or
    DiceRolls: 1@1 2@2 2@3; Total Hits: 11@1: (6)2@2: (4, 1)2@3: (6, 6)

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m