• Hi

Some questions if I may.

Subs: Can air units attack a sub or does the sub have the right to refuse combat?  It seems to me that the only way for air units to attack a sub is in conjunction with a destroyer who can prevent the sub from submerging.  That said, can a sub defend and kill an air unit?

Armor: Can tanks who attack one space and fight enemy troops and win can then use their second movement point to retreat?

Transport: To do an amphibious assault do the troops need to be loaded onto the transport the previous non-combat movement phase?  Also, how does that work?  If forces from Britain attack Western Europe, do the forces on the transport fight or do they need the beaches cleared by air power or another force?  Also, when moving air power one counts the sea area as a space and then the island as a space, do transports?  I.e., can a transport from Japan reach Alaska in one turn with a movement of two?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Jeff

• Subs: Can air units attack a sub or does the sub have the right to refuse combat?  It seems to me that the only way for air units to attack a sub is in conjunction with a destroyer who can prevent the sub from submerging.  That said, can a sub defend and kill an air unit?

Air units can always attack subs within their flight range and do not need destroyer support to detect them.  Subs cannot shoot back at planes; their only hope is to survive the first cycle of attacking fire from the aircraft and then submerge, or count on accompanying surface ships to shoot down the planes.

Armor: Can tanks who attack one space and fight enemy troops and win can then use their second movement point to retreat?

No.  Once tanks encounter Combat (moving into an enemy-controlled space that contains either an AA Gun or an Industrial Complex counts as combat, btw), they must stop moving.  If your tank travels one space into a totally empty enemy-controlled space, the tank captures it and then has the option to blitz into either an adjacent enemy-controlled space to fight enemy units or capture the space if it is also unoccupied (during the Combat Move), or into an adjacent friendly space (during the Noncombat Move.)

Transport: To do an amphibious assault do the troops need to be loaded onto the transport the previous non-combat movement phase?   Also, how does that work?

You can load forces and use them to conduct an amphibious assault in the same Combat Move.Â

If forces from Britain attack Western Europe, do the forces on the transport fight or do they need the beaches cleared by air power or another force?

Â

The forces coming off the transport fight.  They do not need an “advance force” to clear the beaches for them.  They are the beach-clearing force.

Also, when moving air power one counts the sea area as a space and then the island as a space, do transports?  I.e., can a transport from Japan reach Alaska in one turn with a movement of two?

Yes.  You don’t count land territories when moving ships.  Transports load or unload friendly units from/into land territories adjacent to the sea zones they occupy.

~Josh

• Hey Josh,

thanks for the quick response!

Jeff

• @jeffbrook1:

Hi

Some questions if I may.

Subs: Can air units attack a sub or does the sub have the right to refuse combat?  It seems to me that the only way for air units to attack a sub is in conjunction with a destroyer who can prevent the sub from submerging.  That said, can a sub defend and kill an air unit?

Transport: To do an amphibious assault do the troops need to be loaded onto the transport the previous non-combat movement phase?  Also, how does that work?  If forces from Britain attack Western Europe, do the forces on the transport fight or do they need the beaches cleared by air power or another force?  Also, when moving air power one counts the sea area as a space and then the island as a space, do transports?  I.e., can a transport from Japan reach Alaska in one turn with a movement of two?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Jeff

Pretty much as already posted.

When moving fighters or bombers (not just “air power”), here is what happens, using a fighter on the Hawaiian islands as an example.  First, it takes off.  This takes no movement, it is still on the Hawaiian Islands.  Then, it goes into the sea zone SURROUNDING the Hawaiian islands.  This takes a point of movement.  Then the fighter can use its three points of remaining movement however it likes.  It can fly to a sea zone adjacent to the Hawaiian Islands and attack something IN THAT SEA ZONE (two points of movement left), fly back to the sea zone surrounding the Hawaiian Islands (one point left), and fly into the Hawaiian Islands themselves (zero points left) and land (free).  Or whatever it wants to do with that movement.

The transport in your example STARTS in the sea zone.  It fires up its engines (costing no movement and remaining in the sea zone it started in), moves to an adjacent sea zone (costing one movement point, leaving one movement point), then moves to yet another sea zone that is adjacent in turn, using up its second movement point, where it must end its move (apart from unloading uniits of course).

That whole description of firing up engines and taking off is not really part of the rules, but it helps picture things in your mind.

jen bikini jen bikini jen bikini jen bikini jen bikini jen bikini jen bikini

• 2007 AAR League

@newpaintbrush:

… but it helps picture things in your mind.

jen bikini jen bikini jen bikini jen bikini jen bikini jen bikini jen bikini

Bad owl!!!

• I think all his bad vices + Jen’s scantily clad body is putting NPB into a sly stupor!

• 2007 AAR League

Stupor or no, I doubt he is as distracted as he pretends to be.

I’ve played a few board games in the barracks and behind all the smack talking, the brains are going furiously.

I recall on game where a guy brought his “girl friend” (she was a dancer at a local club) and she made it a point to do everything but actually service the folks playing the game all as part of his master plan to win just once!

No, he did not win and yes his “girl friend” spent the night in the barracks room.  Four guys, four beds, one girl, 'nuff said.

• @Baghdaddy:

I’ve played a few board games in the barracks and behind all the smack talking, the brains are going furiously.

I recall on game where a guy brought his “girl friend” (she was a dancer at a local club) and she made it a point to do everything but actually service the folks playing the game all as part of his master plan to win just once!

No, he did not win and yes his “girl friend” spent the night in the barracks room.  Four guys, four beds, one girl, 'nuff said.

So I take it you guys played musical beds all night with the winner getting the bed and a good night’s sleep?  :wink:

• 2007 AAR League

@General_D.Fox:

@Baghdaddy:

So I take it you guys played musical beds all night with the winner getting the bed and a good night’s sleep?  :wink:

We drew straws and the loser slept on the couch. Yep, that’s what we did.  :roll:

Thankfully, given her profession as a dancer, we had no body shyness problems in the morning as we dealt with the issue of five people and one bathroom.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m