AS much fun as pearl is unles you attack the ships off of west coast and pearl, Pearl is a waste of time, 9 out of 10 times the American navy runs and hides in Atlantic like Jen has stated. When this happens,. what is left for japan 2 deal with––NOTHING, a couple of Occupied spaces that can’t be reiinforced heavily, So you do not need all the grunts right away, build your Needs first two turns, and then your wants. Japan Needs Trrny’s. Japan Needs atleast 1 IC on mainland. Japan needs 2nd Bomber. Buy it You will use it a ton. Acouple of fighter and 2 bombers following Russian-Japanese Front all the way to moscow. The front will move fast this way.

• 420…

If Japan needs TRNs, then they also need TROOPS.  A TRN without troops is a expensive game board decoration.

Yes, Japan DOES need 1 IC on the mainland early in the game, otherwise their 8 unit build limit cripples them.  But without INF, ART, ARM for Asia, Japan is going nowhere fast.

• 2007 AAR League

no it doesnt. you ahve troops on the islands that can keep those trn running. on turn 2 you build an IC.

• And while Japan is raiding those scattered islands with isolated TRN’s, the Americans SHOULD be picking those TRNs off.

Japan can obtain 6 INF easilly from islands (Wake, Oki, Phil, EI).  The rest take more effort.  That is less than 1 turns worth of land units to fill the TRNs (Japan should have 3 or 4 after J1).  So Japan BETTER be building land units on J2, otherwise those TRNs have nothign to do on J3.

You are right if you want to make heavy pushes early, but if all you want to do is make sure your new IC is secure. You can send your trry crews on RR. so what if they are not all used for 1 turn  not that big of a deal yes it’s pretty and expensive and not doing anything, think of it as a refit for the trnny, it’s getting new deck chairs. You do not always need to be pushing forward. sometimes it’s better to wait, (not real long though) then going balls out right away.

• But 420, I don;t WANT to just secure a new IC… I want Japan forces to breach the E/N/K perimeter in force at the earliest possible opportunity to reduce Russian builds and cripple the Allies :-)

I hear what you are saying, but if you delay your major thrust 1 turn it will do you more good then harm Like I said Withou Collonial garrison the allies have a hard time  getting troops or equipment there so there is no real need for all of the troops right away. After turn two, Japan builds nothing but men and tanks with a occasional fighter or ship. If you play with bids and are conerned for the lack of troops, give your whole bid to JPN, Germany’s got enough. the only perimiter you need to go for is the liberatin of china, and russia

• I just don;t see a BOM as being worth losing 6 or 8 land units in the most forward position.

• 2007 AAR League

@ncscswitch:

And while Japan is raiding those scattered islands with isolated TRN’s, the Americans SHOULD be picking those TRNs off.

Japan can obtain 6 INF easilly from islands (Wake, Oki, Phil, EI).  The rest take more effort.  That is less than 1 turns worth of land units to fill the TRNs (Japan should have 3 or 4 after J1).  So Japan BETTER be building land units on J2, otherwise those TRNs have nothign to do on J3.

you seriously dont know what you are talking about. Jav, Phi, Wak, Bor, Oki, Car and Ngu can be reached without intervension from the americans. There is 10 inf in the pacific and you can get 9 of those without problems. If the american player sails out of Z55 on turn 3 or 4 (on a KJF) then you use some of thsoe handy trn as cannon fodder. You cant go wrong.

• Which still interupts your flow to Asia.

• 2007 AAR League

I take russia by turn 6-7. Can you take it earlier?

• I may in my current game :-)

• 2007 AAR League

well done then. Im talking about LL btw.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

I’ve taken Russia on J4 and on G3 before.  But it’s ultra rare and usually against someone who decides to buy tanks on Russia 1 or even worse, I’ve seen a 2 fighter build on Russia 1 (classic.)

But they have it right, in classic AND revised Japan is pretty immune to American aggression for a couple rounds at least, maybe even 3 rounds so clearing islands is easy.  The bad news, cleared islands are easily conquered. Which is why, normally, in a KJF situation I like to leave 1 US Infantry, 1 Armor, or 2 Infantry on conquered islands with value on them. (New Guinea, Philippines, Borneo, East Indies, Philippines, Okinawa, Hawaii.) That way if I loose the fleet somehow or Germany sneaks out they cannot liberate my islands.

@ezto:

What is LL? all the acronyms are confusing sometimes.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

Low Luck

Basically you add up all the attacker’s attack values and divide by 6 and that’s the number of hits you get (any remained rolled on one six sided die for a potential extra hit.) You do the same for the defender.

For insantce, if you attacked 3 infantry with 3 fighters and 3 armor you would have the following:

Attacker: 3 Armor, 3 Fighters combined attack value of 18.  18 divided by 6 is 3.  Attacker gets 3 hits automatically.
    Defender: 3 Infantry combined defensive value of 6.  6 divided by 6 is 1.  Defender gets 1 hit automatically.

thanks for that tid bit.

• @ezto:

This is ADS, but the dice are not the factor… 14 German ARM in Ukraine, and 7 German FIGs on the board (plus the 26 INF, 1 ART, and 6 ARM that Japan has in Asia) seem to be the key.

:mrgreen:

• 2007 AAR League

no arguing that.

• 2007 AAR League

How about this crazy J1 build:

1 IC in FIC, 1 IC in East Indies?

EI threatens Africa, the red sea and Persia all one TRN move away, and can fill 2 TRNs each round. With this build I think the Axis should be able to take Caucasus pretty quickly and also control Africa and the Mediterranean, and Australia.

EI and FIC are also well placed to defend Japan’s high-IPC islands.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m