What is biding and is it neccasary.

• Yes, Maddogg wins.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

Actually, I’m thinking that a nice 21 IPC bid for 7 infantry in Manchuria and then walk to Moscow unhindered. :P

(I’m of the camp that anything over 18 IPC is extremely too high, Russia doesn’t stand a chance.)  But that’s just me.

• You have not played Darth a game of Classic yet as the Axis have you Jen?  :-P

Nope.  Can’t say as I have.  Though, I am currently undefeated with a 21 IPC bid in Ukraine.  (You don’t even want to SEE me with a 23 IPC bid in Ukraine!)

As I told 4thmac in our game, it’s all but nigh impossible to keep Moscow from falling in a game where Germany has 10 infantry, 1 fighter and 2 armor on Ukriane to start the game.  You just cream the Karelians, and in our game that included missing every random die in the LL scenario.  Imagine how bad that would be in ADS with decent dice.  Of course, he opened by taking E. Europe, which slowed me down a round, but he tendered resignation on USA 2 with Russia’s entire back door undefended, all but some infantry and a fighter destroyed and a British Fleet threatened. (of course, he failed to sink the Baltic fleet and I lucked in the Med with a transport surviving against his submarine, but that would have been but a nuissance.)

Is it possible to win that game?  Yea.  Is it about the hardest game you’ll ever have to realistically survive as the allies?  OH HELLZ yea!

• When you beat Darth, then I will give weight to your Classic strats.

In the mean time… see my first post to these boards :-P

BTW, that was Avin, not 4thmac.  Got em mixed up.

I’m sure Darth will be a slightly less push over with a 21 bid to Ukraine for me. :)  I fail to see how anyone can win against +7 infantry in Ukraine for Germany without good dice rolls for the defenders.  Best strat I’ve seen for that is to pull back to Russia, pump fighters in from England and hope to high heaven that you can get enough troops through with America to bleed forces off Germany before she’s comfortable in marching into Red Square.

• Jennifer, the things you stated above had nothing to do why I surrendered. The reason I surrendered was because with one transport you killed two fighters, at least one of which was needed to defend my navy. There is no coming back from losing 60+ IPCs in a single battle (24 IPCs for the two fighters, plus 42 IPCs for the 3 transports and AC which was easy pickings on your next turn) without anything but maybe a fighter of yours to show for it. It’s as though I gave you a bid of 80 IPCs, not 21.

• I like the idea of limiting the bid to 4 units in europe. That would limit an enormous initiative advantage. With that prerequisite in place would you still feel that a 21 bid is too high Jennifer??

Nope.  In that case I wouldn’t have a problem with 21 bid.  Actually, I wouldn’t have a problem with it if it was a 50/50 placement/saved money either.

21 IPC bid with max 4 units in any theater of operations would be:

4 Germany Infantry in E. Europe
    3 Japanese Infantry in FIC

• I disagree with you Jennifer. I actually think Manchuria is way more important than FIC… I would at least bid 2 units there…

But my glasses are coloured because I am not a fan of a PE bid… I find a Paf bid way more fun to play.

But if you want to place your bids in Eur and Asia I will place them like this:
    4 inf EEU
    2 inf Manch
    and 3 ipc’s to ger. (Money to violate Mon neutrality on turn 1 wich gives the Japanese a huge advantage, because you force the russians to retreat earlier than they would have liked leaving Aisa open for the Japs)

I agree, I perfer the African Bid.  Someting like:

2 inf Man
    4 inf Lib
    1 inf EE

With 23, I’d throw the arm to Afr, and sometimes I won’t bother with the Inf to EE.

I think this give the Axis more options to win and not a crap shoot or as Agent would say a “chucker’s” shot at Kar with a 7 inf bid to Ukr.  :-D

And as a personal preference I’ll usually play under the condition of No PE.  I don’t find find those games particularly challanging or fun for either side.  Just like I tend to play No Tech.  I think the Max limit of 4 units to Europe seems to be what I’ve played with recently, but usually no more than 1-2 inf were ever placed in Europe.

And I think a 7 inf PA is even weaker then the 7 inf PE play.  Infact, you could probably get away with giving Japan 24 if it all went to a PA bid.

I could see a rational for an extra couple units in Manch.  Stops Russia from attacking it…though, really, to be honest, unless you’re in LL the chances of Russia actually winning are remarkably small - in practice.

• I like the idea of limiting the bid to 4 units in europe. That would limit an enormous initiative advantage.

See I don’t like these kinds of rules because I think they presuppose that units in Europe are stronger therefore you must limit this effect.  If you start with such an assumption you are saying an all europe bid is superior(which it is) and therefore why would you want to bid elsewhere.  In that case if we assume this to be true even with a 4 limit rule I would still bid for 8infantry but split them with 4 in Ukraine and 4 in Libya which might be better anyway.  The Russians cannot attack and take Ukraine because it leaves their armor exposed to counter attack.  They cannot attack and retreat because they would only gain an advantage of perhaps 1-2 units plus there is the risk of bad dice which with 9 @ 2 + 1 @ 4 is very high.  11 units attacking 10 units is pretty much a crap shoot as far as the dice are concerned and such a battle would most certainly make or break Russia, but for the fact that even with great luck the Germans are still quite strong in Africa.

4 Infantry in Ukraine:

I hit with 3 Armor, 8 Infantry and retreat to Karelia after one or two rounds of battle.  I have left nothing exposed and I have removed your bid.

7 Infantry in Ukraine:

Russia is screwed.  You cannot strafe because you’ll take much more damage then you can afford.  You cannot defend Karelia.  Best you can do is expose your combat units to slaughter by slowing the Germans down 1 round with a E. Europe invasion.  Of course, Germany still has a strong force in Karelia (Strong as in 3 armor +1-4 infantry; more then enough to stop a counter invasion by England and start building there) and htey have a massed stack in E. Europe ready to move in on G2.

• With an overwhelming german force in UKR a russian withdrawal into russia could work. Then the allies could land UK/US forces in FIN for a turn 2-3 strafe/assault on the German Karelia forces.

Only problem is Germany picks up easy dollars for Kar and caucasus and can even blitz armour down to PER/SYR

• Consider the following.

R1 Evac all forces to Moscow 4 INF KAR +5 INF CAU +3 INF RUS
    R1 Build 8 INF
    R2 Build 8 INF + 2 more from the East = 30 INF + 3 ARM + 2 FTR + 2 UK FTR in moscow

Even if the Germans throw everything at it on G2 that’s only about 20 inf 10 arm + planes (assuming about 7-8 extra INF bid in UKR). The Russians should be able to hold. If the Germans do throw everything at it then the rest of europe should be ripe for the picking by UK /US

Then it’s up to the allies to come in via FIN or through Africa to stop the Germans getting too many free points

• Too bad Agent deleted all his posts, because he played some games versus DM to try the 4 unit bid in Europe. I believe DM withdrew to Mos and won. You see not all agents comments were “Boogus” (to speak in Maddog’s terms ;))

• the 7inf ukraine bid ain’t that tough - many players are now bidding 24 and are perfectly willing to face 6inf, 1arm or 8inf in ukr.  here’s what i do as allies:

turn: russia 1
    purchase: 8inf
    combat:  3inf, 3arm, 1ftr vs eastern europe; 1ftr, 1sub vs bal sz

results:  russia has an ok chance to win all three battles (about 50% by my estimation), and if it does the game is basically over for the axis.  taking eeu cuts off much needed armour in seu and ger from the round 1 karelia assault by germany.  wiping out the german navy ensures that either both uk transports survive or that the germans have to divert airforce from the karelia battle to take them out.  if eastern europe turns into a great strafe opportunity (say, 4 attacker hits to 0-1 defender hits) then leave that ftr alone, retreat, and stack karelia.  in that particular case germany won’t be able to crack karelia without spreading itself way too thin.

noncombat: unless there is an obvious dice disaster (you don’t take eeu, or the german trn in bal sz survives) then place everything in karelia and send the siberian units west.  karelia should have 16inf, 2ftr, aa; russia 2inf, aa; nov 3inf, 1arm; yak 1inf; sfe 1inf; cau 1inf  move your trn to hud sz to help out the canadian trn.

turn: germany 1
    purchase: depends on how russia did.  maybe 10-11 inf and bunker, or maybe 6arm and go out in a blaze of glory. 4inf, 4arm is a good purchase for moderation
    combat: ??  if russia has won all three of its attacks i welcome the german assault on karelia.  an attack of 13inf, 3arm, 4ftr, 1bmb (everything) wins about 75% of the time, but doesn’t take with enough land units to defend against the uk’s counter attack of 2inf, 1arm, 3ftr, 1bmb, 1bb.  germany can sacrifice planes to take with more ground units, but that’ll get them in trouble quickly.

turn: uk 1
    purchase: ?? likely 2trn, 3inf, 1arm
    combat: ?? with 8 (maybe even 9) or less german units in karelia attack with everything (2inf, 1arm, 3ftr, 1bmb).  taking the territory is critical because you want russia to be able to build there next turn.  if the germans sacrificed air to put more in karelia then eeu, f/n and weu should be ripe for the picking (killing any armour that germany used to retake eeu from russia).  in that case i move all my air to russia and build boats and infantry quickly to pressure germany asap.  even if russia and uk lose their entire airforces but russia holds karelia at the beginning of russia 2 i think they hold it for the rest of the game.

turn: japan 1
    purchase: ?? likely 2trn, 3inf
    combat: ??  japan can’t make really significant gains too quickly with out a bid.  they will attack china, but if they go for all those attractive targets (chi, ind, haw, haw sz, yak, and sfe) they will do more damage to themselves than to the allies.

turn: usa 1
    purchase: ?? maybe 4trn, 1inf; maybe 3trn, 4inf
    combat:  this should be a fun turn.  usa gets to take whatever uk left over in europe (f/n or weu).  there might also be a really good chance for a counter in pearl if japan attacked lightly so they could send more units into asia.

well that’s about it.  can’t strategize more than one turn out.  and i probably forgot something so fire away at my strategy.  but i think that if everything goes average (and by that i mean that half the scenarios are better for the axis and the other half are better for the allies) then i think the allies have about a 55% chance of winning this game.  and if you are making a bid as the axis where you only expect to win 45% of the time then you are making the wrong bid!

I agree with Hamar, 7 inf on Ukr isn’t a game ender.  That’s a pretty good scenerio.

@Bashir:

Too bad Agent deleted all his posts, because he played some games versus DM to try the 4 unit bid in Europe. I believe DM withdrew to Mos and won. You see not all agents comments were “Boogus” (to speak in Maddog’s terms ;))

Yeah, Agent had some good info on LL and bids/counters.

Actually, one game he did a 4 inf Ukr, 4 inf EE and I got smashed.  It’s possible I countered wrong, but I think Mos was gone by rd 3.

I’m pretty sure we did start to limit units to Europe, but we mostly played Pafr anyway and the 4 Ukr, 4 EE bid was more to test it out.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m