How do you respond as UK to this german first turn?

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

Couldnt you stack SZ-8 and then hit the Gerries when they leave the Baltic?  I’m assuming of course that the Gerries use their BB to hit Egypt

• That is just it, in a fleet unification they do not hit Egypt, they take Gibraltar.

You either block in UK1, or you end up with a German fleet of 1 BB, 1 DST, 3 SUB, 2 TRN, plus G1 purchases in SZ7.  If those purchases are 1 AC and 3 TRN… that is a lot of trouble that Germany can do before US or UK masses enough force to do anything about it.  And with THAT fleet in SZ7, the initial gains by Russia will NOT be enough to offset the massive delay in US/UK participation in the Battle for Europe.

So, you HAVE to block and do as much damage as you can…

• 2007 AAR League

Basically if you can´t stop the 4 or 5 trns UK is toast on G3. (or atleast have a 60%+ chance of it…

A thought; if we do a triplea style bid 9 ipc.

I take 8 to Axis buys a sub put it in sz8, and attack the UK BB,trn and russian sub with 2 subs, 1 bmb, 1 fig  (i should kill the fleet and maybe have the bmb and fig walk away.)

Then i spend my cash on a AC and 3 trns (total of 4)

bring BB to Gibraltar, and Trn to Gibraltar

UK wouldn´t be able to “block” the german navy on Uk1, witch should make for a invasion o G2… of 8 Units + All AF. (6 Figs and 1 bmb) (10 units if US doesn´t sacrifice Destroyer.)

Wouldn´t the UK be in grave danger then?

• Nah.

Just build the land forces for the future invasion first.

You think that force can beat 12 INF, 1 ART, 1 ARM, 2 FIG, 1 BOM?  Plus any US forces sent in?

Not likely :-)

Allies still have that fleet to deal with… but Stalin has to be positivelty SINGING over that G1 :-)

• 2007 AAR League

But UK can do nothing for atleast 3 rounds or more, becuse US can´t kill the navy on themselves, and UK can do nothing more then defend their Island…

But you might be right…

• 2007 AAR League

And of course if UK does that goes all land units, you don´t move your baltic fleet, just shuck all units in Germany/westrussia to kill whatever standing in Karelia (if Russia wentured that far…  Then German inf won´t be needing to go by foot all the long way  :)

• UK1:  Land units for London defense
    USA1:  AC and other fleet (move Pac Fleet to Panama, Panama DST to SZ10)
    UK2:  Build AC, DST, and more depending on savings from UK1 in SZ8
    USA2:  Move AC, 2 DSTs, TRN’s and other ships to SZ8 w/ UK fleet.  Add existing FIGs  Move pac fleet to SZ10 with more US ships bought.

G3 Germany has some choices to make.  2 loaded carriers, multiple DSTs, TRN fodder…That is an ugly fleet to attack.
    But if they wait, more US ships, plus UK buys are in the pipeline… and it only gets worse for Germany.
    Russia can create enough havoc for 3 turns to prevent Germany from getting too out of hand in central Europe.

And once that German fleet is gone, US and UK start landing immediately, with lots of FIG support… and the US BB that has reached Europe via the Panama Canal.

• 2007 AAR League

Then i guess the best buy for germany is to do the attack with 2 subs bmb and fig, build a destroyer to protect the little Baltic navy.

Take egypt Buy land troops (or AF), kill Russians

• I mostly agree with you Nix.  Pehaps not specific points of the strat, but with your core concept.

Germany just does not have the funds to go head to head with US and UK navies ($40 to $72).  They can bluster, annoy, threaten, but ultimately they will die.

So the trick is to get the maximum threat for the minimum buck.  And so far, that seems to be an AC in the Baltic on G1.  That plus land based AF, and the Baltic TRN makes UK have to be a bit conservative in their moves for several rounds in order to not open up London to attack (and I have already had a game where UK ignored the Baltic Threat, and Germany took London on G2).  So you slow UK down with that build.  Then you also put UK and/or US into a position where eventually they will have to kill that fleet.  And they are going to lose some ships, probably some TRNs, in the process.  More of a slow down to the Allied transit of forces to Europe.  And you get that for only $16 IPC spent.

Using the bid to put another SUB in SZ8 to go after the UK fleet sounds like a very interesting idea, because of how much it would further slow down UK, and the US.  The US would probably not be able to go to Africa since they are going to need to get ships to UK to get a protected TRN fleet in the water there as soon as possible.  Combining the attack on SZ2 with the above AC buy should give Germany 4+ turns of near complete security from Allied landings, and should allow them a good chance to gain some significant income from Africa, build up their land forces in an Atlantic Wall, and shove Russia back hard and pin them in their core territories, awaiting Japan’s arrival for the 1-2 punch to finish them off.

:mrgreen:

• I have been toying with using the bid to place a sub in sz8, too.

Sinking the UK fleet in sz2 can give a nice head start in the Atlantic for Germany.

I can think of only one way of preventing this from happening. Attacking Norway on R1 (3inf 1arm 2ftr) to kill the German ftr.

• Even without the Norway FIG…

77% UK SZ2 fleet sunk.

• The battle is 2subs 1bmr vs 1bb 1trn 1sub (Russian), isn’t it?

What dice simulator are you using?

• Sorry, left off the Russian sub…

41% to clear the SZ.

• I don’t know whether the German will try it anyway - probably he will and see how the first round of combat goes.

The Norway attack messes Russian plans but would you risk loosing almost all UK Atlantic navy on G1? I need to playtest this more.

@ncscswitch:

Even without the Norway FIG…

77% UK SZ2 fleet sunk.

I’m confused.  Sea Zone 2 has 1 BB, 1 Trn, 1 Sub, Germany can bring 1 Submarine to the party, maybe a submarine and a fighter from Finland/Norway if Russia doesn’t kill it first.

How is that a 77% chance of clearing the zone?  Or even 43% for that matter.  The range for the rest of the luftwaffe is too far.  (3 spaces from W. Europe, 4 from Germany, 4 from E. Europe, 5 from Balkans, 5 from Ukraine)  Even the bomber cannot make it there and land safely.

So best hope on G1 for the UK fleet in SZ2 is:

Attacker results:
    Probability % # units
      1% 2: 1 Fig, 1 Sub.
      2% 1: 1 Fig.
      97% 0: no units.
    Defender results:
    Probability % # units
      19% 4: 1 Tra, 1 Sub, 1 Bat.
      38% 3: 1 Tra, 1 Sub, 1 dBat.
      28% 2: 1 Sub, 1 dBat.
      11% 1: 1 dBat.
      4% 0: no units.

• Two things Jen…

First, I corrected the figure, it is a bit over 40% (1 or 2 posts after the one you quoted)

Second, the initial parameters were a 9 Bid, with 8 of it used for an additional sub in SZ8 to start.

@ncscswitch:

Two things Jen…

First, I corrected the figure, it is a bit over 40% (1 or 2 posts after the one you quoted)

Second, the initial parameters were a 9 Bid, with 8 of it used for an additional sub in SZ8 to start.

Sorry, missed the extra Submarine.  I still don’t think this is going to make a huge alteration.  2 Subs vs 1 Sub, 1 Transport and 1 BB is still going to net you two dead German submarines with the possible death of a Russian submarine (which otherwise would float harmlessly in the Atlantic until the end of time.)

• Actiually, the question is whether or not the BB lives or dies.
    40% it dies
    23% it is the only survivor.

2/3 chance of killing the SUB and TRN in SZ2, still a nice reduciton in Allied starting fleets… it will take more than half of UK’s first build just to replace those units.

And if the 40% pays off, it will take 2 turns before UK has that much navy in the water again.

And the Baltic Fleet is intact, as is the Med Fleet.

Sounds like a pretty good idea to me…

Breakdown:

1 Fighter, 2 Submarines vs 1 Transport, 1 Submarine, 1 Battleship:

Overall %*: A. survives: 19% D. survives: 72% No survivors:8%

• percentages may not total 100 due to rounding.
      Attacker results:
      Probability % # units
        3% 3: 1 Fig, 2 Sub.
        7% 2: 1 Fig, 1 Sub.
        9% 1: 1 Fig.
        81% 0: no units.
      Defender results:
      Probability % # units
        5% 4: 1 Tra, 1 Sub, 1 Bat.
        19% 3: 1 Tra, 1 Sub, 1 dBat.
        27% 2: 1 Sub, 1 dBat.
        21% 1: 1 dBat.
        28% 0: no units.

If the German fighter is destroyed by Russia on R1, then we’re talking:

2 Submarines, vs 1 Transport, 1 Submarine, 1 Battleship:

Overall %*: A. survives: 2% D. survives: 98% No survivors:0%

• percentages may not total 100 due to rounding.
      Attacker results:
      Probability % # units
        1% 2: 2 Sub.
        1% 1: 1 Sub.
        98% 0: no units.
      Defender results:
      Probability % # units
        31% 4: 1 Tra, 1 Sub, 1 Bat.
        41% 3: 1 Tra, 1 Sub, 1 dBat.
        20% 2: 1 Sub, 1 dBat.
        6% 1: 1 dBat.
        2% 0: no units.

Worst case scenario, I see the British battleship surviving 72% of the time.

• Not Fighter… BOMBER.

Actually, FIG and BOM, if Norway remains German…

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m