• '14

With the addition of units for Russia and the UK; does this make Germany that weak?

• I’m not sure how the Axis can win now if the Allies do a 1) fortress on victory cities with maximum infantry and 2) maximum US lend lease every turn strategy and 3) maximum Russia into Finland strategy.

The problem is that you have to play until the 8th turn nearly every game to see that the Axis can’t win (as a rule).

I would say that the UK got too strong with the extra units, or Germany/Italy got too weak by losing the ships they had in 6.1.

Taking 25 IPC’s worth of ships away from both Italy and Germany in turn 1, and giving UK and extra 30 - 40 IPC of units, and Russia an extra 70 IPC worth of units (including IC/AA) was just too much. IMO.

That doesn’t even take into consideration the special units being cheaper is better for the Allies than the Axis.

Others disagree though and I suspect we have rule misinterpretations issues or they don’t do a maximum lend lease/fortress and Russia into Finland strategy.

I might need to ask you to clear up some rules that are a bit unclear. Maybe we playing wrong but I don’t think we are.

• '20 '19 '18 '16 '15 '11 '10

I tend to agree with Bill, though I still believe an Axis victory is possible –-and, again, I didn’t think an allies victory was impossible in 6.1—.

The cutting the Axis down was one thing, but adding more Allied units was another.

The N. Africa /Mediterranean scene, for instance, is a s###show in my opinion :-P

The N. Atlantic would be worse if you took away 5 IPC German subs. As it is, with the testosterone injected UK air force, it’s a dog fight but it was a dog fight back then so, OK. This being said, the U-boat threat was all too real and 6.1 did a better job of reflecting it. Personally, I want the boats back. (yes, I know, “you can’t always get what you want” but, like my kids, it doesn’t stop me whining for it).

I’d like to see German transports as merchant raiders as well. Maybe a rule like no more than two on the board at any time, 2/1/1, able to slip through Allied navies on non-combat, can carry one infantry. One deployed in S. Atlantic and one in Indian Ocean in set up. It would be easy to do and would give all those Commonwealth destroyers and planes something to do rather than terrorizing at leisure.

I know the Germans get the 52 IPC boost + two impulses at the beginning. That 52 looks like a big number but, honestly, there is a big job to do in a very short time and with the materiel losses and Allied gains, it has actually shrunk.

Italy needs something too. Another battleship might fit the bill --am I nuts??–. After all, she had a strong fleet.

The paratrooper in Berlin, again, was a nice touch. It didn’t help the Germans a ton but it was the thought that counted.

• Calcutta, Cairo, Leningrad, and Stalingrad all fall in my games.  I assume that the allies need to change their strategies if they really do have the edge.

• '20 '19 '18 '16 '15 '11 '10

Wait till they get their $$$$ together.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m