G40 Fortunes of War - Delta

• '17 '16

Base Support
    Strategic Bombers conducting SBRs only receive a +2 damage bonus if they have departed from an airbase.

I like this one.

• '17 '16

Atlantic Wall
    Germany may place 1 free infantry on Normandy, and 1 free infantry on Holland Belgium, during every place new units phase in which they own both territories.

Seems a big advantage.
    Did you read on other thread about this idea (adapted from 1914):

Atlantic Wall
    Every Artillery unit place on Normandy, and/ or Holland Belgium get a Defensive preemptive strike @2 against amphibious assault.

If you don’t like, no problem.

• Sponsor

@Baron:

Base Support
    Strategic Bombers conducting SBRs only receive a +2 damage bonus if they have departed from an airbase.

I like this one.

Not mine… I’m not 100% sure, but I think it may have came from Crustable… was it yours Barron?

• Sponsor

@Baron:

Atlantic Wall
    Germany may place 1 free infantry on Normandy, and 1 free infantry on Holland Belgium, during every place new units phase in which they own both territories.

Seems a big advantage.

Atlantic Wall
    Every Artillery unit place on Normandy, and/ or Holland Belgium get a Defensive preemptive strike @2 against amphibious assault.

I like that one better, but what does preemptive mean in this context? do they get a 1st round “surprise strike” during the landing (before the attacker rolls for land units)?.

• '17 '16

@Young:

@Baron:

Base Support

I like this one.

Not mine… I’m not 100% sure, but I think it may have came from Crustable… was it yours Barron?

No.
    It comes from G40 Enhanced but don’t know if Uncrustable or some of the other posters.

• Sponsor

@Baron:

@Young:

@Baron:

Base Support

I like this one.

No.
    It comes from G40 Enhanced but don’t know if Uncrustable or some of the other posters.

Oh!, well I think it’s one of the best house rules I’ve seen for Global, the kind that Larry himself could easily endorse.

• '17 '16

@Young:

@Baron:

Atlantic Wall

Seems a big advantage.

Atlantic Wall

I like that one better, but what does preemptive mean in this context? do they get a 1st round “surprise strike” during the landing (before the attacker rolls for land units)?.

Yes, it means before the attacker rolls but only against grounds and air (not against warships).

Since Germany have to pay for each Artillery unit (usually Art are more offensive oriented unit with the +1A Inf bonus) and keep them stationned there, I’m inclined to let the preemptive strike for the entire battle (and it is simpler).

Anyway, the Allies invaders have the advantage of deciding where and when they will hit (they can make an eval of when they still have an advantage over German’s units).

• '17 '16

About Atlantic Wall, I read that many Germany’s player prefer to fall back all their units 1 territory instead of letting them crushed by many Shore bombardments.

Is it a better strategy?

If true, maybe you need to take this into account while defining an Atlantic Wall HR.

• Sponsor

@Baron:

About Atlantic Wall, I read that many Germany’s player prefer to fall back all their units 1 territory instead of letting them crushed by many Shore bombardments.

Is it a better strategy?

If true, maybe you need to take this into account while defining an Atlantic Wall HR.

If that’s the case, sometimes I find that you gotta sweeten the pot a bit…

Atlantic Wall
    Each artillery unit on Normandy, and/ or Holland Belgium will receive a defensive “surprise strike” against enemy land units making an amphibious assault onto their respective territories. This special defensive strike takes place at the beginning of each combat round (similar to submarine surprise strikes). Casualties from this “surprise strike” are immediately removed from the battle board. Also, each AA artillery unit on either territory now receives 4 chances to hit @1 instead of 3.

• '17 '16

@Young:

@Baron:

@Young:

@Baron:

Base Support

I like this one.

No.

Oh!, well I think it’s one of the best house rules I’ve seen for Global, the kind that Larry himself could easily endorse.

From what I read about SBR on Harris Game Design, I think Larry and others greatly want to increase the interest of doing SBR and risking StB units.

At least, this HR doesn’t really affect the UK vs Germany confrontation.

Here is the mathematical difference between both:

Starting from base: D6+2 (avg 5.5) * 5/6 (because of AAA IC hit 1/6) = 27.5 IPCs/6 = 4.583 IPCs/StB - 2 IPCs = 2.583 IPCs damage / StB run

Regular SBR: D6 (avg 3.5) * 5/6 (because of AAA IC hit 1/6) = 17.5 IPCs/6 = 2.917 IPCs/StB - 2 IPCs = 0.917 IPCs damage / StB run

• Sponsor

@Baron:

@Young:

@Baron:

@Young:

@Baron:

Base Support

I like this one.

No.

From what I read about SBR on Harris Game Design, I think Larry and others greatly want to increase the interest of doing SBR and risking StB units.

At least, this HR doesn’t really affect the UK vs Germany confrontation.

Here is the mathematical difference between both:

Starting from base: D6+2 (avg 5.5) * 5/6 = 27.5 IPCs/6 =  4.583 IPCs/StB - 2 IPCs = 2.583 IPCs/ StB run

Regular SBR: D6 (avg 3.5) * 5/6 = 17.5 IPCs/6 =  2.917 IPCs/StB - 2 IPCs = 0.917 IPCs/ StB run

All I know is that it helps India hold on a tad longer.

• '17 '16

@Young:

@Baron:

Is it a better strategy?

If that’s the case, sometimes I find that you gotta sweeten the pot a bit…

Atlantic Wall
    Each artillery unit on Normandy, and/ or Holland Belgium will receive a defensive “surprise strike” against enemy land units making an amphibious assault onto their respective territories. This special defensive strike takes place at the beginning of each combat round (similar to submarine surprise strikes). Casualties from this “surprise strike” are immediately removed from the battle board. Also, each AA artillery unit on either territory now receives 4 chances to hit @1 instead of 3.

This will decrease the number of AAA unit needed to protect the coast.
    Maybe you should use the radar bonus for this 2 territories only.
    So, each AAA stationned in Normandy, and/ or Holland Belgium will defend @2 against up to 3 planes on the first round.

Now, a Germany’s player will have a reason to have an heavily garded Atlantic Wall, and not to withdraw inland.

• '17 '16

All I know is that it helps India hold on a tad longer.

It makes more sense historically because Japan were not prone to carpet bombing as in European theater.
    So, unless they want to invest into an Airbase, they won’t get the +2 bonus.

Same thing for USA making SBR on Japan…

• Sponsor

I made it simple, now players may defend those territories if anything but to kill a lot of allied units.

Atlantic Wall
    the defense value of all infantry and AA artillery units on Normandy, and/ or Holland Belgium fighting against enemy units making an amphibious assault onto their respective territories, has now increased by 1.

• Customizer

I would almost counter “Atlantic Wall” with an idea of my own called " The Great Crusade" Meaning: If London is controlled by the UK, SZ110 is free of enemy warships, and Normandy/Bordeaux is in Allied Control; all US and UK transports may now ship/bridge 1 additional infantry unit per transport in SZ110 during non-combat movement phase after round !.

This may be too much or un-needed YG, but it just came to mind and I thought I’d share.

• Sponsor

@toblerone77:

I would almost counter “Atlantic Wall” with an idea of my own called " The Great Crusade" Meaning: If London is controlled by the UK, SZ110 is free of enemy warships, and Normandy/Bordeaux is in Allied Control; all US and UK transports may now ship/bridge 1 additional infantry unit per transport in SZ110 during non-combat movement phase after round !.

This may be too much or un-needed YG, but it just came to mind and I thought I’d share.

I gave your idea a spin in my head and this is what came out…

Atlantic Wall
    the defense value of all infantry and AA artillery units on Normandy, and/ or Holland Belgium fighting against enemy units making an amphibious assault onto their respective territories, has now increased by 1.

Beach Head
    the defense value of all allied infantry and AA artillery units on Normandy, and/ or Holland Belgium has now increased by 1. However, it must be occupied by a multi-national force, and at least 1 land unit had to arrive onto their respective territory via amphibious assault.

What do you think about the proposed Strategic Objectives?

• Customizer

@Young:

@toblerone77:

Atlantic Wall

Beach Head
    the defense value of all allied infantry and AA artillery units on Normandy, and/ or Holland Belgium has now increased by 1 (if held by multi-national forces).

That is pretty cool. I like that better that idea better than mine. I also like that it is a pretty direct balance for either side that really fits well.

Again, kudos YG!

• Sponsor

@toblerone77:

@Young:

@toblerone77:

Atlantic Wall

Beach Head
    the defense value of all allied infantry and AA artillery units on Normandy, and/ or Holland Belgium has now increased by 1. However, the occupying force must be multi-national, and at least 1 land unit had to arrive onto their respective territory via amphibious assault.

That is pretty cool. I like that better that idea better than mine. I also like that it is a pretty direct balance for either side that really fits well.

Again, kudos YG!

Thanks Tobler, but I wouldn’t have even thought about creating a counter rule to “Atlantic Wall” without your post.

WOW, I just realized that the secondary house rules listed after Strategic Objectives all have tiles that are 2 words long… I kinda like that.

…and thanks again for yet another +1 vote  :-D

• Hey, this is coming along well too, I’m probably going to end up using these ideas in my next game, hopefully this weekend.  I must say I’m impressed with it.  I’m enthused about the French buff, they needed something desperate lol.

Would it make sense to add Denmark to the Atlantic wall?  I think I read somewhere (wiki I think? Idk…) that it was considered as a potential spot to land.  I think it was also considered as part of a counter-intelligence / misinformation campaign to throw Hitler off too as to where the Allies actually wanted to land, don’t quote me on it though.  Also, after thinking about what if scenarios of Spain being officially involved in the war on the Axis side, would the Atlantic Wall have been extended down to Spain?  Who knows, right?  Spain becomes pro Axis once Paris and Russian city are under Euro-Axis control in my games, so it gets involved most of the time.

Another thing: the Chinese ability to build artillery through having American support (Flying Tigers) is preferable to what the OOB thing is, but I’d like to find out how you came up with it.  The OOB rule emphasizes the usefulness of the road, how vital it is, because almost everything came from there supplies-wise for the Nationalists.  It doesn’t really matter much to me which way it goes, I’m just asking out of curiosity.

Great effort on these projects man, hopefully they get officially recognized or endorsed eventually.  That’d be SICK, lol.

• Sponsor

@Ben_D:

Hey, this is coming along well too, I’m probably going to end up using these ideas in my next game, hopefully this weekend.  I must say I’m impressed with it.  I’m enthused about the French buff, they needed something desperate lol.

Thats awesome, be sure to let us know how your friends like them, and if you see any game mechanic problems when you play test it for us.

Would it make sense to add Denmark to the Atlantic wall?  I think I read somewhere (wiki I think? Idk…) that it was considered as a potential spot to land.  I think it was also considered as part of a counter-intelligence / misinformation campaign to throw Hitler off too as to where the Allies actually wanted to land, don’t quote me on it though.  Also, after thinking about what if scenarios of Spain being officially involved in the war on the Axis side, would the Atlantic Wall have been extended down to Spain?  Who knows, right?  Spain becomes pro Axis once Paris and Russian city are under Euro-Axis control in my games, so it gets involved most of the time.

Denmark and Spain can be left out, as long as we cover the closest points across the English Channel, we should be safe historically and without getting crazy.

Another thing: the Chinese ability to build artillery through having American support (Flying Tigers) is preferable to what the OOB thing is, but I’d like to find out how you came up with it.  The OOB rule emphasizes the usefulness of the road, how vital it is, because almost everything came from there supplies-wise for the Nationalists.  It doesn’t really matter much to me which way it goes, I’m just asking out of curiosity.

I do understand the significance of the Burma road for China to get artillery sent to them from the Brits, but this is purely a game play issue as my players want to buy at least 1 any time they like, and the Russian player plays China in our games so it’s more fun for them to build something other than infantry.

Great effort on these projects man, hopefully they get officially recognized or endorsed eventually.  That’d be SICK, lol.

Cheers, and thanks for contributing.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m