• I’ve watched that video a lot. I completley disagree with all of his strategies now, whereas before I was sort of in awe of it. His Allied strategy involves sending MASSIVE amounts of infantry to India (like 5 Russian inf per turn!), building dual complexes with the UK, and rolling for rockets as Germany. All of these are extremely inefficient strategies, and I’d probably kick his ass if he hasn’t changed since then. He puts very little pressure on Germany early on, and relies too much on sinkiang/India complex which are laughable to the Japanese if not paired up with the threat of an American navy.

• BUt wait what about his Soviet strategy… I thought that was pretty good IMO. If you just send those guys that one turn and perform those attacks the Soviet player has done much to help out UK in the long run. The others are playable… only not the best…but i agree with most of what you say.

• ooops sorry for the bum strategy… I didnt know the whole rocket once per factory rule.

But as for the whole not getting rockets, we play with the house rule where every tech is 12 points except heavy bombers, then you spend 5 IPCs for a tech role and the role you get is the points your get so about 3-4 dice should get you the rockets, and if I wanted I could have the made up science NA for Germany (one free tech per turn).  Anyways even if you do get tech for 20 IPC, and not get the extra aa, then an average of 10 per turn should repay itself by turn 2.

• Alot of people want to try this… my only concern is its not quite unlike a gamble… If it does not pay off in the short term (e.g. you get those damm rockets within a turn or two)… then your too far behind in tempo with matching the build up against the allies it becomes too big of a hole to dig out of. Its not however anything like that UK first turn “cheapo” which ususally allways ends the game if the axis fail at it.

• Yeah I agree…I’ve tried going rockets and it’s just too much of a gamble. I don’t feel good unless I get it in my first turn with 3 rolls towards it, yet with 3 rolls there’s a very high margin of error to not get the tech. It’s very damaging to get zero combat units out of those IPCs spent; it turns into a snowball effect if you don’t have enough troops to hold your front lines; then Russia gets more and more IPCs and you can’t do anything about it. If you do happen to get rockets with Germany within 1-3 tech rolls it turns out pretty decent as you really put the hurt in Russia’s paycheck if you can manage to hold him back from expanding as well.

About Morrison’s strategy, it sort of works in that you will have India for a longish time, but the offset is that Africa is going to be uncontested until like round 3 or so, leaving Germany free to blitz 4+ IPCs in Africa…I wouldn’t want to hold India just to lose Africa. He advocates sending FIVE Russian infantry to Persia on the first turn (3 from Caucasus + 2 from Kazakh!), and he advocates to continually send a small stream of infantry too o_O I would have so many problems holding Germany back playing like that…

Like I said, I used to be in awe of Morrison’s strategies, and indeed, many many of his core concepts are 100% correct if you read his written ones, but after playing around with one advanced tournament player and seeing his strategies, I don’t hold much stock in a split action anymore.

• Germany free to blitz 4+ IPCs in Africa

Yes aggree, but another thing is the UK player builds a Factory in South Afrika and India, so how that German axis thing in afrika  countered in your opinion?

UK is building this because as he says… “the sea zones are now cut up in a way that slows the transport actions in the atlantic to and from UK and Afrika”

• The way that Morris plays, there are 2 easy ways to counter his complex build:

1. Start with invading Egypt with 2 tanks 2 inf and airforce, etc. You should have 2 tanks leftover. On turn 2, blitz down to Rhodesia, and send about 4 planes down south. On turn 3, attack his complex with 2 tanks + 4 fighters. He only has 3 infantry there. Thanks for the complex! Normally, I wouldn’t invade Egypt with 2 tanks because usually the UK counterattacks Egypt immediately, but Morris doesn’t abandon India so I’d abuse it. You can very safely assume that he isn’t abandoning India because he stacks 5 Russian infantry in Persia on round 1. You might be scared to send so many fighters down there, but don’t be. Russia is hardly in a position to apply good pressure with so many inf sent down to Persia, and the UK certainly doesn’t have the transports nor the men to drop on you for the first many turns. Once you tag the complex down there Africa is yours for sure.

2. On Germany’s second turn, build 5 transports. There’s no way he will build any units at either of his complexes. This gives you a free turn for both Germany and Japan to advance upon those complexes. You might cry “but wouldn’t that leave Germany weak?” but it really doesn’t. The pressure that Morris applies to Germany is too small, so you can safely do a full naval build on G2 to throw a huge wrench into the works.

Also, Morris’s build can allow the Germans to have a ton of naval control. Start with a carrier, then on turn 2 move out to SZ7 or so. Suddenly the UK’s navy is in big danger and I doubt that the US has enough defense in the waters to matter even if they linked in SZ8, since the US spent 15 bucks on a complex in Sinkiang.

Don’t get me wrong - Morris’s strategy works fine against perhaps medium and beginner players. I beat my friends doing a dual complex buy way in the past.

The way that I contest Africa is this:

1. Counterattack Egypt with 2 inf from India, 1 from Trans-Jordan, + fighter from India on turn 1.
    2. Sometimes you’ll be able to counterattack Egypt yet again on turn 2 with 3 infantry (pick 1 up from Rhodesia + Persia, and 1 from Trans-Jordan again and fighter) if your transport is alive. If not, doesn’t really matter. On turn 2 I land in Algeria with about 3 inf 1 art 2 tank from the UK, and 2 inf 1 art 1 tank from the US. That should be enough to chase the Germans down who are only dropping 1inf 1 art each time.

Also I like to apply nearly 100% of the UK’s income towards dropping stuff into Europe. Morris uses 50% of his income merely to defend his income (2 inf in Africa + 3 inf in India = 15 IPCs spent towards zero offense. Is it worth the IPCs he spends?). There are a lot of IPCs to be gained in Europe if you look into it, plus it directly threatens the Germans.

Don’t get me wrong - the Allies must contest Africa, but I feel you can do it adequately already from a turn 1 counterattack into Egypt + a turn 2 drop into Algeria. Building the complex way down there does work, but I feel it is inefficient. The complex itself is 15 IPCs that can’t be used towards attacking Germany, and the units you build there are only going to be used to contest 1-2 IPCs of territory every turn.

• I as Russia only send the units east of russia and caucasus on the first turn to asia the rest to concentrate on germany

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m