• There is no martial arts move to counter a bullet. Trust Me, I have a buddy who is a third degree black belt, and he says that if you run up against a guy with a gun, just run away. Fancy fighting wont stop a bullet.

• There is no martial arts move to counter a bullet. Trust Me, I have a buddy who is a third degree black belt, and he says that if you run up against a guy with a gun, just run away. Fancy fighting wont stop a bullet.

thats the truest statement ive heard in a long time from you, marine. there is no martial arts system or technique which will save you from a gun at several meters distance. if you cant take cover, or talk him down from shooting, you are dead (assuming hes a competent shot, of course).

• @F_alk:

cars are designed to bring you from one place to the other. 
    They differ in their purpose. One is functioning perfectly when it kills, the other one malfunctions when it kills.

http://moneycentral.msn.com/content/Insurance/Insureyourcar/P135061.asp

http://www.forbes.com/vehicles/2005/09/09/safestcars-acura-ford-cx_dl_0912feat_ls.html?partner=msn

They have car safety ratings.  Cheaper is generally less safe for 2006.  What about guns?

• i had a buddy that was in the service with me that had been in ballet for 13 years and gymnastics for 15 years. weird, yes, but he was one nimble little guy. while in western Africa we were taking fire from a source I’m not allowed to say, they had rpgs flying all over the place, this guy did back flips threw an open street to get to the other side, guy even kept his rifle in his hand ready to use the whole time. when he did that the firing stopped just long enough for us to take control. i think the “enemy” was so weirded out by the back flips they didn’t know what to do. we all got medals that day, but he had about 2 or 3 more than anyone for that little stunt. crazy.

• Watch out for the wrath of the concealed weapons permit holder who is blind.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10296505/

• @Linkon:

The mixing of certain things together has often been found to be bad.

Among them:

You missed one of the worst combinations!

Alcohol and Intercourse may cause pregnancy :-P

• And in response to the openning thread question…

I have multiple firearms, from single-shot bolt action to semi-automatic.  I don;t have a “concealed carry” permit.  I don;t need one to sling a rifle or holster a pistol and carry both in plain sight.  And I’d rather a criminal KNOW I am armed.

I can fire anything from a .22 to a 4.2" mortar; and hit my target the vast majority of the time.  I can make your AR-15 fire full auto (but it will never go on “safe” or “semi” again).

I believe in Gun Control:  Gun Control meaning the operator hits the intended target.  :lol:

Firearms are simply one aspect of personal protection with increased range; which is the entire histroy of weapons development.
    From teeth and fists, to sticks and stones, to swords and bows, to guns, to artillery and mortars, to bombers and ICBM’s.  In 10,000 years we have increased our defensive perimeter from 10" to 10,000 miles.  :-)

• @ncscswitch:

Firearms are simply one aspect of personal protection with increased range; which is the entire histroy of weapons development.
    From teeth and fists, to sticks and stones, to swords and bows, to guns, to artillery and mortars, to bombers and ICBM’s.  In 10,000 years we have increased our defensive perimeter from 10" to 10,000 miles.  :-)

That sounds flawed. There would be no need to develop such protection if there was no threat. So, it would not be developed. On the other hand, if you assum an aggressive person, that person has a need to overcome the defenses of the other and for him such a new weapon is useful (and thus it will be invented, only not for defensive purposes but as an offensive means).

• I agree with Falk… you dint need anything but maybe one gun and thats a simple functional handgun. IT should be only a single shot not of the semi or fully automatic type.
    But actually it should be a taser gun w/o bullets.

• Like NCS pointed out, we have a sliding scale of defense now:
    Martial arts<–---------------------------------------------------->ICBMS

Where do we draw the line on what’s legal? We certainly won’t allow people to legally own tactical nukes, but we can’t restrict it to just a closed fist.

Personally, small-arms should be enough to make the King of England think twice.

• Personally, small-arms should be enough to make the King of England think twice.

Or Prime Minister Tony Blair, as we are seeing in Iraq    :-D

Where do we draw the line on what’s legal?

Good question, Mary.

I personally think the legal level should be around or just above what would be readily feasible to manufacture in one’s garage.  For example, I am pretty confident that I could make a crude gun in my garage.  None of the components necessary would be difficult to obtain or fashion into the shape/form I need.  Of course there is always the chance you could kill yourself and others by trying this (which is why I won’t) but if you were desperate, then you might take this chance anyway.

As far as explosives, go back 50 years or so and you will find that you could buy dynamite at the local hardware store (its not too terribly difficult to make explosives in your garage, as Timothy McVeigh did, for that matter) no questions asked.  In fact, after my grandmother died and my relatives were cleaning out the house, they found some blasting caps  :-o, which my dad disposed.  I think we had less of a problem with explosives then than we do today, and there is no question that there were fewer problems with guns - because people were responsible with these items.

And this responsibility on the part of the general public is what is needed, IMHO, to prevent accidents and problems.  More laws and restrictions aren’t going to work.

• @221B:

And this responsibility on the part of the general public is what is needed, IMHO, to prevent accidents and problems.  More laws and restrictions aren’t going to work.

I could not agree more!  Not just with firearms or other weapons, but a little personal responsibility for ALL of your life!

BTW:  love the concept of “legal is what you can make on your own”, though that does open up interesting possibilities…
    The guy who introduced me to A&A in college had made an armor piercing crossbow using the main leaf spring of a heavy truck.  Something on the vicinity of a half-ton draw.
    Other things that can be built with a little knowledge:
    *  Cannons
    *  Mortars/Artillery are easy enough to fabricate with a simple percussion detonator
    *  Short-range rockets (modified fireworks)
    *  Land mines
    *  Remote detonators

In short, all that stuff that is being used against our troops in Iraq can be pretty easilly made in your garage; which is also true of the first World Trade bomb and OK City.

A nuke is probably out of reach simply for lack of certain precision components and fissionable material, but everything short of that…

• Regarding how far it is possible to go with your garage lab, consider the following:

http://www.mindfully.org/Nucs/Radioactive-Boy-Scout1nov98.htm

• Reads like an amateur version of the nuclear pile that was created in the heart of Chicago in the early 20th C.

• @ncscswitch:

I can make your AR-15 fire full auto (but it will never go on “safe” or “semi” again).

i know how to so it too, but i dont own it for fire power, its a .223 for satans sake. i have that rifle because any m-16 varient has the greatest iron sights ever, i nail things up to 973 yards (my longest shot with it) with out a scope. if i were to make it auto the acuracy goes way down, and thats wahat i am all about, acuracey.

have to add two new rifles  to my collection, i just bought a remington 700 tacktical police chambered in 300 Win Mag, and i traded my HK G3 for a Barret .50 BMG Single shot. Yeah Me!!!

• @Major:

and thats wahat i am all about, acuracey.

Agreed.  My favorite personal weapon is a 1930’s German mfg .22 bolt action single shot with iron sights.  Action is slick and smooth, never misfires, quiet, and accurate.  It is the weapon I learned to shoot with, Walnuts at 75 yards (side note on walnuts and .22 rounds… if you graze a walnut, it just rolls off the saw horse with a nick left in the green husk.  When you hit the nut inside the husk, it explodes :-)

• @ncscswitch:

@Major:

and thats wahat i am all about, acuracey.

Agreed.  My favorite personal weapon is a 1930’s German mfg .22 bolt action single shot with iron sights.  Action is slick and smooth, never misfires, quiet, and accurate.  It is the weapon I learned to shoot with, Walnuts at 75 yards (side note on walnuts and .22 rounds… if you graze a walnut, it just rolls off the saw horse with a nick left in the green husk.  When you hit the nut inside the husk, it explodes :-)

i dont really have to amny walnuts lying around, but this time of year i like to collect cans then fill them with water, leave them out side for the night then set them up on the range. if you havnt done this, try it, shooting a can with frozen water in it is quite excellent, a good explosion of icey shrapnel.

your a fan of the japenses? my buddy has a japenese bolt action from WWII, very cool. it has the impierial flower as the back of the bolt. ill try to find out its name, maybe you have it or have heard of it. we always just call it the japenese a$$ kicker. one hell of a recoil on this. i dont know what kind of ammo it take, i know its about 3 bucks a shot. ill look into it though.

• @ncscswitch:

I believe in Gun Control:  Gun Control meaning the operator hits the intended target.   :lol:

NC,
    It is one thing to joke here.  Keep in mind that there are guns used in non-protective intents.  They hit the target and someone dies.

As I said before, when I have kids, I do not want them around guns.  I think I will have to add the 1st person shooting style video games to the list of things to get rid of.  Imagine a generation about to lead our nation who have been conditioned or rewarded by a sense of confidence through these types of games… Kill to survive.  Kill to remove an obstacle to success.  Kill to get to the next level.  Kill because you are bored.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10183366/

There is a scene in T3 that shows a very safe place to store your personal locker of heavy duty weapons should they be needed:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0181852/

• @Linkon:

Imagine a generation about to lead our nation who have been conditioned or rewarded by a sense of confidence through these types of games… Kill to survive.  Kill to remove an obstacle to success.  Kill to get to the next level.  Kill because you are bored.Â

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10183366/

There is a scene in T3 that shows a very safe place to store your personal locker of heavy duty weapons should they be needed:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0181852/

from my experince, when it comes to war it is that simple, kill them before they kill you. kill enough of them and the war is over.

• Dude, the MSNBC link refers to crime and not war.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m