Need input on how cp can win, or is it just sheer luck if they do?

• I played one game with friends, CP got there asses kicked, problem was they split forces up sent half east half west both assaults failed to do much France started getting strong and British troops poured into belguim, russia was no where near taken out and austria had only taken Venice and like one russian territory, ottomen where just managing to drive off the british so could not help anywhere else.    so after this game i played 2 games with myself set up the bored and tried to figure out a CP strategy, first i tried to smash france with all i had, i sent most troops from Germany against them and Austria put all its weight into Italy. what happend was that i had only made minor inroads into France my supplie lines of new men did not get there fast enough and it slowed down same with italy but they did get Venice and about to take Piedmont. russia got to powerful as i neglected it to try to take out france fast…    second game also playing myself, i tryed to take out russia fast this worked out better but i still did not take moscow, Britain sent troops up to north russia.  and my reinforcements got to slow. in the west i was holding ok but not good enough to make an attack i now had no hope of taking out russia.      if i kept playing i might have won some how but it seemed grim…    so tried to take out france did not work tried to take out russia did not work tried to split forces the worst idea it got nothing done. so i dont know what to do as cp ?? any ideas   also both games i used the German navy to take out British navy turn one this worked good i then pulled back but could not attack again as france put its ships in UK waters to defend .  my only ideas are maybe use german transports to put troops in northern Russia. thanks

• Based upon our experiance, I would say take out the British fleet as soon as you can, even if its a risk.

Put enough resources into knocking out Russia as soon as possible, even if you have to fight a defensive war in the west till you do.

Once you have knocked out Russia, you will have sufficient IPCs to now go after the other allies.

Send the Turks after the UK in the middle east to force her to spend there.

Have Austria concentrate on killing the Italians.

The Germans should be able to stabilize the front now and not lose ground, even if they cant make progress.

As soon as Austria captures Rome, they can also drive into France and with the Germans and lots of IPCs they should prevail.

Don’t be in a hurry to try to win if you are slowly gaining in the IPC race and making modest progress. You can wear the Allies down and build up naval superiority.

Oh, and a little luck doest hurt.

Kim

• I don’t think the Austrians can take Rome for awhile if they are hitting Russia hard early.
    I don’t think the Ottomans can threaten Britain in the Mid-East/India if they are hitting Russia hard early.
    Can the Germans hold off the West while simultaneously hitting Russia hard?

• Austria just needs enough units to try to kill 4 or 5 Italians every turn so that they have a net gain of zero with their IPCs. Got to get Russia out quick, then Austria can overpower Italy and free the Turks to go into the middle east.

Yes Germany can hold off. they will give up some territory, but will be strong enough to hold them from getting to the gates of Berlin. If germany builds at least on naval unit a turn, Britain will have to match it. Once Russia is out, you just need to patient enough for the troops to return to the west, building strength and your navy before going on the attack. By then you can have planes and tanks to make it successful.

Won’t work every time (or it wouldn’t be any game) Put if you have a little luck on your side, and the Allies make any mistakes (trust me, they will) you should be able to win your fair share.

Kim

• I guess i will just dedicate more troops to the east as the Germans its hard to calculate the right balance, i could not  send more as Austria as i had put all i could east and italy was at the gates of Vienna, anyone have luck with German transports sending troops to Russia to knock it out quicker?

• Customizer

The Allies should be able to send units in by sea to defend Rome. And this is the whole problem; the CPs are just so slow to move they cannot change their strategy without the Allies being able to see it coming a mile away, and just ship troops wherever they need them.

I think the Allies have to be playing badly, that is each looking after their own interests, for the CPs to have a real chance.

• If Germany is in Russian and defending instead of pushing in west then USA will send its troops to Italy instead of Europe and Austria will be VERY hard pressed to take Rome.

I think the key to a CP victory is Turkey taking out India asap and then building up a fleet to take over the med.

With CP incontrol of the med and India, the CP can quickly soak up all of Africa, and prevent USA from landing in Italy.
    Rome will fall, and then CP can use naval dominance to block out UK/USA untill Paris falls.

Always be patient while playing as the CP, better to wait 3 more turns to attack then jump the gun and get slaughtered by a combined allied force (France/UK/USA)

Keep track of what each nations income is at their respective collect income phase(not at the end of the round), then keep track of the income disparity between the allies and the CP(best to do it at the end of each round). Once the CP has the edge just be patience dont take too many risks

As far as German transports go i would not waste the funds

• I’ve noticed a huge German push into Russia (causing the Revolution by turn 4) gives Germany 50+ IPCs a turn, MORE than enough to drop a huge build into Berlin and focus on the Western front.

• I am testing out a London/Rome strat at the moment.

• @Uncrustable:

If Germany is in Russian and defending instead of pushing in west then USA will send its troops to Italy instead of Europe and Austria will be VERY hard pressed to take Rome.

I think the key to a CP victory is Turkey taking out India asap and then building up a fleet to take over the med.

With CP incontrol of the med and India, the CP can quickly soak up all of Africa, and prevent USA from landing in Italy.
    Rome will fall, and then CP can use naval dominance to block out UK/USA untill Paris falls.

Always be patient while playing as the CP, better to wait 3 more turns to attack then jump the gun and get slaughtered by a combined allied force (France/UK/USA)

Keep track of what each nations income is at their respective collect income phase(not at the end of the round), then keep track of the income disparity between the allies and the CP(best to do it at the end of each round). Once the CP has the edge just be patience dont take too many risks

As far as German transports go i would not waste the funds

• I actually just experienced a CP win.  Germany’s navy was key in this game.  They attacked and eliminated the UK fleet on G1 and bought at least one sea unit almost every turn.  They sent just enough forces west to contend with France and went after Russia hard with lots of art and fighters.  By the time the UK rebuilt their navy and US could land troops in Europe, Moscow had fallen and Germany was building a battleship and transport each turn.  This made the UK player turtle up and they couldn’t land troops to aid France after Germany took out there replacement navy.

Austria Hungary focused on Italy while sending a few troops to help in Russia.  They took Rome on round 8 and turned their focus to France and picking off some of the northern Africa territories.

The Ottomans had a tough time with India and Egypt.  It wasn’t until Germany sent their forces that took Moscow south to help them could they even maintain control of their original territories.

Other than the purchase of one fighter, Russia only bought inf and art.  It just couldn’t compete with the German art rolling at 4’s.  Moscow fell on round 5.

The UK went after the Ottomans and had them down to 11IPC’s at one point.  They were able to rebuild a navy and land 6 units in Europe a turn but after Moscow fell, Germany could afford to put a stop to that.

The US probably could have done more but they were able to establish a transport bridge to land 4-6 units in southern Europe each turn.  This was the main reason that Italy survived as long as it did.  Once Rome fell Austria Hungary started to build a navy and force US out of the Med.

Not soon after Paris fell and that was that.

• how many territories did Germany lose while trying to take out Russia?. in a game i played i send both a large German force and most of the Austrians against Russia and i still could not take it had it to Moscow but could not defeat them as they can build there every turn right in the battle.  The reason i ask how many territories Germany lost in the west is my line with France was secure the whole time, did not lose a German Provence, dose this mean i should of send much more Germans? i just find its hard to conceive Germany doing Russia in without Austrian help and still holding against France and Britain.

• @aidancole:

how many territories did Germany lose while trying to take out Russia?. in a game i played i send both a large German force and most of the Austrians against Russia and i still could not take it had it to Moscow but could not defeat them as they can build there every turn right in the battle.  The reason i ask how many territories Germany lost in the west is my line with France was secure the whole time, did not lose a German Provence, dose this mean i should of send much more Germans? i just find its hard to conceive Germany doing Russia in without Austrian help and still holding against France and Britain.

Well you can’t really take Russia with just Germany, you need all three hitting Russia.

• @aidancole:

how many territories did Germany lose while trying to take out Russia?. in a game i played i send both a large German force and most of the Austrians against Russia and i still could not take it had it to Moscow but could not defeat them as they can build there every turn right in the battle.  The reason i ask how many territories Germany lost in the west is my line with France was secure the whole time, did not lose a German Provence, dose this mean i should of send much more Germans? i just find its hard to conceive Germany doing Russia in without Austrian help and still holding against France and Britain.

In the game we played which was a victory for the Central Powers, the Allies re-took Belgium, Alsace, Munich and also the Ruhr before the CP turned their strength back to the west after totally occuping Russia. Once the CP had tipped the total ICPs in their favor though, then the war of attrition went in their favor.

One thing to keep in mind, unlike the WWII games where the US comes in with big money and a big fleet, in this game the US has only $20 and really no way to make it larger. Once the IPC total in europe goes in the CP favor, there is no way to get it back. Once Russia is out, its out. Italy is next and then how ever long it takes to win in the west is just a question of time and patience.

Kim

• @KimRYoung:

Once Russia is out, its out. Italy is next and then how ever long it takes to win in the west is just a question of time and patience.

Kim

and dice

• The Central Powers can absolutely win this game.  Allies will probably win more often than not, but it’s not so one-sided like WWII 1942.  A detailed description of how my game went is here:

http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=30705.0

Bottom line: CP needs to be aggressive.  Major push towards Russia and Italy by Germany, A-H, and a little bit of Ottoman.  Let the U.S. stay neutral until the 4th turn.  Germany should build tanks once they become available, and maintain a formidable supply line all along the northern coast throughout the game.

• @aidancole:

Alsace and Belgium were almost constantly contested and were even taken by France a few times.  Austria helped out by distracting Russia in the Ukraine and Romania with the Ottomans did the same is Sevastopol.  Russia probably could have held out another round or two if they had retreated more forces to Moscow but only being 4 spaces away from Berlin is rough!

• kim is right, you have to be super patient with the CP’s in this game. i am currenttly playing a game as the cp, i sent the majority of germany’s forces west, feigning a big push for paris, and sent the rest east to take russia with austria. i should mention that we are playing the russian revolution rules, otherwise this might not have gone well. i basically left enough west with austria to mess with italy so they couldnt gain much ground. by the time of the revolution it looked BLEAK. However, by the time france got done killing off my initial forces and started puching west, germany was throwing down 47 ipcs a turn worth of inf/art/tanks for a counter attack. the rest of the forces in russia i sent down to a HEAVILY contested persia. the game is in round 8 now and the CPs are lookin pretty god damn buff. i think people get discouraged as the CPs at around turn 5 or 6, but if its going to be a CP victory, turn 5 or 6 is too early to tell. remember, the french and british have to walk ALL THE WAY to berlin, just like germany does to paris, but they have the disadvantage of attacking seperately and fighting multiple fronts. if you took russia or forced a RR, you only have to start marching west and building battleships. just make sure that as you move west, to try and let your reinforcements catch up every once in a while. be patient, and try to back them into a corner and do it in places where you can counter attck when tts are contested or they attack you. also, very important to mention, i was playing with larry’s  2 move rule from the tournament rules. waaaaaay better. ill never play with the OOB movement rules again. good luck man.  :-D

• It’s still broken if must use an ‘optional’ rule to keep it balanced
    In my opinion

• Play with RR rules
    Limit production capacity in India to 5 land units
    Trade the France battleship and one transport for a cruiser in the Mediterranean and the game is balanced

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m