Operation Barbarossa Prevention 2nd Edition

• '12

@JapanDOWRound1Fan:

I reread the post again.

Re airbase Gib/Morocco: I guess you suggested to build 2 Airbases there.
    Re iceland: I guess you meant Naval instead of IC?

You’re correct, my post is full of errors.  The two Air Bases for Africa are Gibraltar & Morocco.  I haven’t run the battle calculator to see if 6 FTR always defends better than 4 FTR + 2 CV (I suspect it doesn’t), but keep in mind that the 6 FTR option also gives you that defense on both of the SZs bordering these territories.  If you go with the CV option, then you have to split those 4 FTRs between the two SZs if you need coverage on both sides, which is not an unlikely occurrence if both Germany and Italy are still in a position to threaten your ships.  Anyways this is obviously pretty dependent on the situation as it’s no guarantee the Allies will end up in control of Morocco.  I’d say the odds would be good though as otherwise the Italians have decided to pass up an NO.

With a Naval Base on both Iceland and (later) Norway you have a route to provide direct aid to Russia that is subject to the least amount of Axis interference.  Of course, the Axis can make a lot of trouble here by stocking West Germany with a large air force and maybe dumping some boats in the North Sea, but I’d argue this is still helping Russia since any IPCs used to hold the North Sea are not being used to take Moscow.

I’m not sure why you say you can’t build an IC in Egypt UK1.  Presumably you are worried about a Sea Lion threat, but if that is the result of your buy, then you’ve basically already prevented Barbarossa.  A direct German attack on London can be the best thing that ever happened to Russia.

It would be correct to say that I haven’t done these exact things much in my own games, as I usually just take the eventual loss of Russia as a given and focus on making sure I don’t lose Cairo.  In the meantime I try to build up a force that will allow me to make a landing somewhere that can’t be stopped.

• '15 '14

Hey, thanks for your post and sorry for my late reply.
    UK can of cuz buy an IC in Egypt UK1, depends on the German buy and how you deal with sealion. I agree that one should not fall into panic vs sea lion, while I usually still do not buy the IC UK 1. IF I would not care about SL I would rather build a TT in Southafrica UK1.
    Sorry, I for sure sounded too confident in my previous post!

Re Iceland/Norway. Usually I would say this is rarely the best route:
    Sz91 is almost always better because you have way more threats from there (From Italy to WGR) and you can also drop mech units early which was start walking then.

Usually the northern route limits your threat-potential and is easy to defend for the Germans and removes any pressure from Italy. I would say you need a special situation/Reason/invitation from the Germans to take that way:)

Cheers,
    Tobias

• As Soviet Union I prefer to buy something like 2 mechs and a tank for my forward ICs and set up for an quick strike into Finland/Norway and Iraq on Turns 4/5.  Those NO IPCs come in handy, but it has to be a hasty retreat thereafter.  Sometimes, if the German army is split I can pull off one or two successful attacks against the rising tide, but only if I don’t leave myself vulnerable to the counterattack.  Of course, if Germany attacks prior to Turn 4 then the Soviet invasion of Scandinavia/Iraq must be abandoned.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m