Operation Sea"lion": No longer king of the jungle (aka the sea)

• Sealion seems to be the place to be with German strategies. I’ve thought of a British counter. Care to find some holes in my reasoning? Anything to line this one up.

British turn 1 buy:
    4 inf (12 IPC)
    1 fig (10 IPC)
    save (7 IPC)

Movement:
    1 fig Alx to SZ92
    1 tac 1 CV SZ91 to SZ92
    1 DD SZ91 to either SZ93 (block Italy) or SZ110 (block Germany Turn 2 Sealion or attack on Gibraltar (highly unlikely))
    1 CA SZ98 to SZ92
    1 inf 1 arm Que to Lon

Turn 2
    Buy
    2 CV (32 IPC)
    1 DD (8 IPC)
    save (0 or 1 IPC)

Movement:
    1 tac 1 fig 1 CV 1 CA/DD SZ92 to SZ110
    4 fig Lon to SZ110

Results:
    5 fig 1 tac 3 CV 1/2 DD 0/1 CA on defense against Operation Sealion.

True, Germany can bring in some 8 odd planes with a CV, BB, CA, DD, 1/2/3 SS, a strong chance of victory, but that is substantial defense right there.
    Combat (Round 1):
    att
    3 @ 2
    5 @ 3
    5 @ 4

defense
    5 @ 2
    2 @ 3
    5 @ 4

Now these number may show Germany to have a stronger rolling average (7 hits against 6 hits), but look at round 2.
    Germany takes 3 hit damage on BB and CV(destroyed), with 3 on DD/2SS
    Britain takes 3 hit damage on CV, with 4 on CV/DD

attack:
    5@3
    5@4

defense:
    1 @ 2
    2 @ 3
    5 @ 4

hits: 6 hits against 5 hits.
    attack
    5@4
    defense
    3@4

end result, Germany wins with a damaged battleship and a strategic bomber. This is assuming no die advantages on either side, and that the Germans had some subs left on the board after a British turn 1. In the end, some 7 German air units are gone, with no defending fleet. America is now ready to walk in, assuming Germany actually won, or even attacked.

What do you think?

• I think Germany will bypass this fleet and go around the island and land from Z109.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

Assuming G3 is the big turn you are going to get hit…

I think you go bull hard, ground units, and bring in all available aircraft as soon as possible.  I’ve looked at a naval solution, but I just don’t like em.

You start with 3 there, 1 in Gib, and 1 fgt 1 tac in the Med,  I believe they can all get to london by UK2.  So that’s 5 fighters 1 tac,  Plus your builds of 9 ish Men.

Force the germans to buy as many transports as they can if they want to go Sea-Lion.  The more transports you make them build, the less pressure Russia faces later.

I think you have a decent chance at victory with 20 + units, 5 + planes and AA on Defense.

I also think Russia should build a few bombers…  3 or 4 + starting Russian Air would lay waste to the German Navy.  You can afford the Air power if Germany goes transport heavy…

Also, if you don’t scramble your UK fighters on G1, there is some remote possibilities, of countering the starting german fleet off Denmark, if there aren’t too many planes in West Ger.

You can use a Dst on the U.K. move to block the fleet Nobbes.

• @Gargantua:

You can use a Dst on the U.K. move to block the fleet Nobbes.

Italian fighters can position themselves to remove the block

UK Blocks SZ119

You’d have to attack with the Italian fighter from WGR, then land on a half empty German carrier, in Sz 112.

Then when the Germans attacked and lost their carrier, IF your lone Italian fighter survived against the destroyer, it would perish uselessly locked as cargo in the ensuing naval engagement.

Bad form.

You’d also have to anticipate this possibility right from the beginning as the Axis, not realistic.  There are better things for the Italian fighter to do more then likely.

This is the kind of thinking that got your navy wiped in the last game we played.

• Germans attack what exactly? Don’t even bother attacking the royal navy. Just invade from Z109.

It’s not hard to anticipate that the UK will block Z119. Additionally, it doesn’t have to land on the carrier; from West germany, it can hit Z119 and land in North Italy.

The kind of thinking that lost my navy is not realizing that my subs could not be taken as casualties.

He’s talking about putting a navy in Sz110 that can fight off the Germans handidly.

You can’t get to Sz109 from Sz112 unless you go through Sz119 or Sz110, so if they are both blocked you are SOL and can’t land units in London.

Maybe instead of posting in every thread all the time, you should just post in threads after you read them thoroughly.

And No, you can’t fly a fighter from West Germany to Sz119 to Northern Italy.

Sz112, Sz111, Sz119, Sz111, Sz112, West Germany, Northern Italy. That’s 7 Movement points, last I checked Italy doesn’t start with a bomber, and you can’t build one on I1, do fighters fly 7 in the games you play?

Get off the drugs dog! :P

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m