• @calvinhobbesliker:

If KGF is equivalent to Ignore Japan, then this strat will fail. If Japan captures all of Asia and Australia and Hawaii(since the US ignores Japan),Japan will have 68 ipcs just in territories. It will have achieved DEI NO, solomon is/new guin NO, India NO, Australia NO, and Hawaii NO. This would give it 93 ipcs, which would make it stronger than USA’s 80

Does that really matter if Europe is crushed? If the US throws all her might on Germany, and Berlin falls, can Japan compete with the Allies? Unlikely.

• @Raeder:

@calvinhobbesliker:

@Raeder:

@calvinhobbesliker:

@Raeder:

@Whackamatt:

And why would the Japanese player ever attack Russia?  There’s little incentive.

There are huge amounts of incentive. Attacking Russia immidiately with Japan and round 2 with Germany means you’re not that far away from taking Moscow, at least not compared to how long it will take the Allies to get things organized and going. I’m rather hoping there will be some sort of (optional?) rule regarding a non-aggression treaty between Russia and Japan. Otherwise I fear that the same tactic always used before (crushing Russia between Germany and Japan) will still be in effect.

Japan will take 5-6 turns getting to Moscow. This is not like previous games where they have no enemy in Asia; the UK will be at their thoats if they focus on Russia, as will the US

Trust me, it will be the road to victory in this game too. Sure, Japan will have a harder time in the Pacific if they go after Russia first, but if you reach Moscow along with the Germans turn 5-6, you will win.

I’m positive that KGF and JTDTM will still be in effect.

Let’s say you take Moscow. Then what? In order for the Axis to win, they need 14 out of 19VC’s. If they don’t capture washington, san francisco, london, or ottawa, they have to capture calcutta, honolulu, or sydney, which won’t happen if Japan is losing the pacific. Japan will lose Chinese territories and DEI’s while focusing on 1 ipc territories. I remember larry mentioning how he did an air strike against russia as Japan and failed.

Perhaps. Lets hope you’re right. When the game comes out, I will be going all in on this strategy to see if it still works.

Now, I don’t remember the turn order. Does Japan go before Russia? If so, you can hit those 2 Inf border areas right off the bat. If Russia goes first, there will be time for Russia to consolidate some of them creating a stronger defense.

If Japan goes first, all you have to do is taking out those infantry, then sending a tank force through Siberia to Moscow. If the US is focusing on the Pacific, there will be hell to pay in Europe, since Germany and Italy will be all over the place.

Turn order is:1. Germany
    2. Soviet Union
    3. Japan
    4. United Kingdom
    5. ANZAC
    6. Italy
    7. United States
    8. China
    and 9. France.

• @Raeder:

@calvinhobbesliker:

If KGF is equivalent to Ignore Japan, then this strat will fail. If Japan captures all of Asia and Australia and Hawaii(since the US ignores Japan),Japan will have 68 ipcs just in territories. It will have achieved DEI NO, solomon is/new guin NO, India NO, Australia NO, and Hawaii NO. This would give it 93 ipcs, which would make it stronger than USA’s 80

Does that really matter if Europe is crushed? If the US throws all her might on Germany, and Berlin falls, can Japan compete with the Allies? Unlikely.

Germany can delay until Japan takes Africa. Also, it could try a polar express strat

• @calvinhobbesliker:

2. Soviet Union
    3. Japan
    4. United Kingdom
    5. ANZAC
    6. Italy
    7. United States
    8. China
    and 9. France.

Alright, so the Soviets move before Japan. Then I guess a lot depends on what the Soviet player does with those infantry. But judging from how easy it is to crush all of the chinese infantry in A&AP40, I’d say the Siberian infantry will be a pushover. Take them out immidiately, then start going south into China and then India. Somewhere along the way you also build a tank force that will roll straight through Siberia without opposition until it reaches Moscow. You won’t be able to take Moscow on your own, but you can help Germany take it, and also deprive the Soviets of all Siberian territories. You will still be going strong in China and probably take India.

Btw, what is a polar express strat?

• @Raeder:

@calvinhobbesliker:

2. Soviet Union
    3. Japan
    4. United Kingdom
    5. ANZAC
    6. Italy
    7. United States
    8. China
    and 9. France.

Alright, so the Soviets move before Japan. Then I guess a lot depends on what the Soviet player does with those infantry. But judging from how easy it is to crush all of the chinese infantry in A&AP40, I’d say the Siberian infantry will be a pushover. Take them out immidiately, then start going south into China and then India. Somewhere along the way you also build a tank force that will roll straight through Siberia without opposition until it reaches Moscow. You won’t be able to take Moscow on your own, but you can help Germany take it, and also deprive the Soviets of all Siberian territories. You will still be going strong in China and probably take India.

Btw, what is a polar express strat?

Japan attacking Western North America while America is fully focused on ETO

• Raeder, why do you think that Russia will be such a pushover? Sure, it’s easy to steamroll China, but that’s because it’s 27 planes vs. what, like 9 infantry? How easy do you think it is to beat 9 Chinese infantry plus 18 Soviet infantry? Spread out all over 9 territories? While simultaneously smashing India, capturing the DEI, fighting annoying ANZAC raiding parties, and keeping the US from building a super navy with its +30 IPC’s? There is going to be ABSOLUTELY NO tank drive to Moscow. Not in the early game at least. Japan has to much work to do in the south were it counts to mess with Russia and inch through nine 1 IPC territories. Japan would need a major IC in the north AND south in order to pump out units to fight Russia and China and India. And if it’s buying tanks and mech infantry for Asia, how much less is it spending on its navy? Global isn’t going to be like Pac40 at all IMHO. Japan won’t be able to shift every single unit it has away from Asia after China and India fall. This will relieve the US and ANZAC from quite a bit of pressure I believe. Russia is going to be a very credible threat to Japan. Even with a mere 18 infantry.

• @McMan:

Raeder, why do you think that Russia will be such a pushover? Sure, it’s easy to steamroll China, but that’s because it’s 27 planes vs. what, like 9 infantry? How easy do you think it is to beat 9 Chinese infantry plus 18 Soviet infantry? Spread out all over 9 territories? While simultaneously smashing India, capturing the DEI, fighting annoying ANZAC raiding parties, and keeping the US from building a super navy with its +30 IPC’s? There is going to be ABSOLUTELY NO tank drive to Moscow. Not in the early game at least. Japan has to much work to do in the south were it counts to mess with Russia and inch through nine 1 IPC territories. Japan would need a major IC in the north AND south in order to pump out units to fight Russia and China and India. And if it’s buying tanks and mech infantry for Asia, how much less is it spending on its navy? Global isn’t going to be like Pac40 at all IMHO. Japan won’t be able to shift every single unit it has away from Asia after China and India fall. This will relieve the US and ANZAC from quite a bit of pressure I believe. Russia is going to be a very credible threat to Japan. Even with a mere 18 infantry.

I agree that there is a tendency amongst folks to exaggerate the ‘hulk smash’ capacities of Japan. The Japan player is going to have their hands full(er) in Global. The back-door infantry train from Russia can help shore up China’s defences; throw a couple of Soviet tanks in there and you’ve got a recipe for some serious reversals for the Axis in continental Asia. I think that demonstrates the potential for, in the words of Mike Myers: “SCHWING!”

But let’s stick with the units that we know will be on the Pac 40 map for starters. I don’t believe that the USSR will have a Pacific navy: Larry never mentioned it, and there’s been no other indication at all that this would be the case. The 18 inf up north are a deffo, though, and it shouldn’t be forgotten that that ‘mere’ 18 inf represents 54 IPCs of military production! Nobody can seriously maintain that adding that many units to the board will have zero effect on Japanese movements. It will probably mean freezing the Manchurian units in place, at least, and perhaps even building a factory there for defensive purposes (with the tandem goal of eventually taking out China/UK). On the up side for Japan, they’ll be ideally poised to retake Korea if the US decide to get cheeky with them. But mostly, this is all good news for the Allies… a factory that far north will be much less effective than, say, a major complex in Kwangtung. Without this direct threat to India, I think the UK will be much more enjoyable to play in Global than in Pac 40… The simple threat of Soviet swing power will allow the flexing of British (and US) swing power.

Which brings me back to my original point. As the Axis, you’re limited to responding in one theatre, to multiple opponants, whereas the Big Three can supply endless threats simultaneously, in both theatres (if they’re well coordinated as a team!). Global 40 is the Allies’ game to lose…

• @Admiral:

Funcioneta, I was under the impression that the Soviet-Japan Nonaggression treaty was in effect for Global, unless broken, like how the process for declarations of war work. At least, thats what I perceived based on what I’ve seen and read, can you show where you heard differently?

I think that Larry said that USSR and Japan have freedom to attack each other at pleasure, even if they start at peace. There is no rule for non-agression treaty unless Larry changes his mind

• @Admiral:

You make it seem that immediately after rounds 1 - 3, most Japanese players will attack north, as if within that time the Allies in the south and west are vanquished, the ‘fantasy’ scenario most seem abhor, probably won’t happen for awhile in terms of actual game play. Besides, was it really that much of a fantasy, I remember reading about over two thousand Japanese-Soviet border clashes between the Manchurian-Soviet border over the period of 1939 - 1945. Plus, the Go North movement within the IJA was pretty strong, even during the Navy’s eventual implementation of Southern Advance.

Maybe not a dedicated attack, but even taking two or three territories can be important for soviet war effort against germans. If there is not a rule for the non-agression treaty, they are defacto at war with current rules from round 1

Of course, soviets could reinforce the east and annoy Japan, but that would mean that the historical massive amounts of siberian reinforcements will not arrive at time to fight Germany

• I’m with calvin, you cannot ignore Japan in this game. They can bring a monster force against WUSA and take it if USA tries ignoring it. Or send it to Alaska, buy a minor IC there and start sending troops from Japan. Also, it’s counter intuitive not making use of starting USA’s Pacific navy in the Pacific (as always was). Take into account that max number of units USA can build is 20 now, unless they buy a mayor IC at CUSA (and that would only slow them more), that Japan can convoy raid WUSA, Mexico and Central America, and that you can invade South America, buy some ICs there and start annoying USA’s rear. There are too much tricks on Japan’s sleeve in this game to let them alone, and don’t forget the good old bomber rush

Other stuff is Mongolia status … the ideal would be non-agression treaty (Mongolia+USSR vs Japan) with Mongolia as pro-soviet. With current rules, we are going to see odd approachs, like soviets attacking Dzavhan (1 inf) and then entering China, because Mongolians also purchased a ACME wall (at least for Pacific) Or Japan attacking Ulanbataar after taking Amur, so disrupting the wall of soviet defenders

At least Himalayas are impassable. Let’s pray the same is for Sahara and Switzerland

• @Funcioneta:

I’m with calvin, you cannot ignore Japan in this game. They can bring a monster force against WUSA and take it if USA tries ignoring it. Or send it to Alaska, buy a minor IC there and start sending troops from Japan. Also, it’s counter intuitive not making use of starting USA’s Pacific navy in the Pacific (as always was). Take into account that max number of units USA can build is 20 now, unless they buy a mayor IC at CUSA (and that would only slow them more), that Japan can convoy raid WUSA, Mexico and Central America, and that you can invade South America, buy some ICs there and start annoying USA’s rear. There are too much tricks on Japan’s sleeve in this game to let them alone, and don’t forget the good old bomber rush

Other stuff is Mongolia status … the ideal would be non-agression treaty (Mongolia+USSR vs Japan) with Mongolia as pro-soviet. With current rules, we are going to see odd approachs, like soviets attacking Dzavhan (1 inf) and then entering China, because Mongolians also purchased a ACME wall (at least for Pacific) Or Japan attacking Ulanbataar after taking Amur, so disrupting the wall of soviet defenders

At least Himalayas are impassable. Let’s pray the same is for Sahara and Switzerland

Why Switzerland?

• Mmmm… now I’m noticing that you can unload guys from Japan to Bco … that means the old slingshot mechanic from Revised has came back. Great! And bombers now cannot hit Japan’s sz from Yukon and Japan sends 10 units against Canada, not just 8 (add 10 more from Manchuria IC) … Polar Express can be even more deadly than in Revised: you only need a minor IC and a NB at Alaska with Japan

I don’t see how you can ignore Japan against a quick Polar Express

• @calvinhobbesliker:

Why Switzerland?

Two reasons:

• Alps (I’d hate planes flying over the Alps merrilly)
    • Nobody wanted invade Switzerland in real world, it was too costly for not much profit, and you would be destroying a good place to evade taxes

• @Funcioneta:

Mmmm… now I’m noticing that you can unload guys from Japan to Bco … that means the old slingshot mechanic from Revised has came back. Great! And bombers now cannot hit Japan’s sz from Yukon and Japan sends 10 units against Canada, not just 8 (add 10 more from Manchuria IC) … Polar Express can be even more deadly than in Revised: you only need a minor IC and a NB at Alaska with Japan

I don’t see how you can ignore Japan against a quick Polar Express

Exactly. That’s why a KGF will not work as a US strat

• From the looks of things the game will stay true to the real world in terms of strategy. Both theaters will need to be taken care of at the same time if you are the US. Britain will need to harass the Germans in Africa and the Japs in mainland Asia. ANZAC has to disrupt Japan’s navy and Russia just has to hold on. One of the things that was interesting in real life is why the Japanese never made headway into Russia during operation Barbarossa. If they had held up thos Siberian troops until springtime when the snows melted, who knows what would have happened after that.

• Howdy,

Surely Japan would be deterred from attacking the USSR for the first few turns for two reasons:

1. There should be a massive Soviet army in Siberia just waiting to turn west to help save Moscow (the USSR thrashed Japan in Mongolia just one year earlier with this army at Kalkin Gol); and
    2. Sending significant units into the wastes of Siberia will weaken all other Japanese attacks, which have now become “standard” in the AAP40 game.

A peace treaty between Japan and USSR did both sides a favour….until 1945 of course  :evil:

Cheers,

Lozza007

• Larry Harris has confirmed that there should be around 20 units defending Russia’s eastern front.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m