Oztea's global41 setup pictures

• The last two weekends were the 41 set up and I think there a good break from the routine. Thats going to be the set up this weekend also.
    Try it you’ll like it

• Played 2 games against myself recently for playtesting purposes.

Game 1 was an allied win. Russia backpedaled to moscow and created a superstack, but inched it forward into Bryansk which almost forced germany to attack it, but that whittled down the german offensive and they had to backpedal.
    The Western allies played a bitter alliance game and weren’t very cooperative. The UK built an IC in egypt and went into europe via greece, while the americans had a huge transport fleet that shuttled units to southern france. Early in the game the UK factory had 20 damage on it, so this route came about as an alternative.
    Also 5 US subs in the italian home waters reduced them to 0 ipcs regularly.

The pacific was a tug of war with Japan constantly being driven backwards, but eventually Soviet and British forces linked up in the balkans, and the US force in france liberated paris. Germany was forced to capitulate. And japan was faced with a US fleet poised to clear SZ 6

Game 2 was an axis win. The japanese opted to take Hawaii on their first turn, and the US retaliated by clearing the pacific.
    Instead of the huge fleets of the previous game, small fleets bounced all around the pacific, eventually the US and ANZAC took too many of the DEI for Japan to hold the bonus so Japan retaliated by attacking Russia. This tied up the train of units destined for moscow, and hence germany took it on the 8th turn and dropped 20 infantry in Germany and West germany.
    Though the US holds Southern France, Normandy, and Holland/Belgium, with the USSR out of the way, there is no hope in liberating paris and holding it (as the US loses control of production centers there)

Though japan was beginning to be eroded away at, they held their own long enough, and stabbed the USSR in the back at just the right time.

In both of these games, Rome never fell. Each time the allies get into position to take it, the axis has just enough to make the attack infeasible.
    In the first game this didn’t matter, because Italy was collecting 0, but in the 2nd game they were still getting positive numbers.

• Does your latest 1941 setup work for standalone games of Europe and Pacific?

• I have never tried it and wouldn’t reccomend it.

• Any plans to make your 41 work for stand alone games?

• Since Europe came out I have tottaly forgot there even was a standalone game.
    I have no plans to modify it to work.
    Theoretically, it would work.

• @oztea:

Since Europe came out I have tottaly forgot there even was a standalone game.
    I have no plans to modify it to work.
    Theoretically, it would work.

the only thing that makes them stand alone games is when you buy them they come in two different boxes.

• Im well aware of that. I just prefer global. It was a global war after all.

• Really like the Japanese option to attack pearl rd. 1, makes things interesting. German steamroller is quite effective with a G1 med clear.

• You mean attack pearl by land?

The US can retaliate and wipe the pacific clean of naval units….it can be done, but is it worth it for Japan?

• @oztea:

You mean attack pearl by land?

The US can retaliate and wipe the pacific clean of naval units….it can be done, but is it worth it for Japan?

Perhaps I am using an outdated setup, but if Japan brings the house, the US counterattack won’t win most of the time…

• A lot of US units can get there if you bring the carriers.
    The planes on the carriers can land on Midway or wake, so you can bring 4 more from the main land, as well as 2 bombers.

What you end up with is a wash, the US fleet is crippled, but so is the Japanese fleet.

Who can rebuild faster, and did Japan’s efforts at Hawaii weaken it’s efforts against ANZAC and India enough so that they will be more annoying.
    (its a good idea for the US to trade because Japan will have to pull planes out of China to refill carriers and scramble spots)

• Sponsor

@oztea:

I just prefer global. It was a global war after all.

This is my first time on this thread and I must say, I’m very impressed with the progress and effort made by Oztea and everyone who has contributed in this setup house rule. I to prefer a global war, playing Europe or Pacific separately feels like playing half a game. I can’t add much value to the process, as my historic knowledge is not as advanced as some of you here, however, I absolutely love the idea of playing this game with a clean slate as far as strategy goes. When my friends and I get bored of playing out the same scenarios using Larry’s setup…. it’s nice to know that Oztea’s 1941 setup will be there to try something completely new. I encourage Oztea and all those that are helping to perfect this setup, to continue on and finish the job. That being said, I can’t stress this enough… please make a final draft and report in the title of this thread when it is 100% done. Thank you.

• I love hearing that people enjoy this setup, and though it may not be balanced to 100% fairness, if you have a few goes at it you will have fun. There are very different and very realistic tactical situations and decisions you have to make. Sea Lion might be out of the question, and this is more of a WWII simulation than a “what if in 1940” sort of simulator like OOB 1940 is.

Its fun, and if there are any major flaws I promise to adress them.

• Sponsor

@oztea:

I love hearing that people enjoy this setup, and though it may not be balanced to 100% fairness, if you have a few goes at it you will have fun. There are very different and very realistic tactical situations and decisions you have to make. Sea Lion might be out of the question, and this is more of a WWII simulation than a “what if in 1940” sort of simulator like OOB 1940 is.

Its fun, and if there are any major flaws I promise to adress them.

Is it done? where can I find the setup list?

• This is the most recent one I am aware of:
    http://harrisgamedesign.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=6834

If there is another Oz, please let us know. When we play global we hardl ever play 1940 anymore; 1940’s really only for the separate boards for us. Thanks for the great setup.

• Correct, that setup is the most current (however I am considering taking 2-4 INF away from Japan on the mainland and giving China 2-4 more, as they are getting systematically steam rolled without any input from reenforcements….however I’d like to hear from playtesters if thats the case. Otherwise no glaring flaws)

Great Britain stands alone, struggling to hold together its Empire, beset by the European Axis. Victories have been few and far between. France has surrendered to Germany and Italy, the Greek Campaign has ended in failure, and the gains made in North Africa are in jeopardy as the German Afrkia Korps arrives. Worse still the German high seas fleet, led by the battleship Bismark and a myriad of U-Boats, are marauding North Atlantic shipping and threatening to starve the United Kingdom into submission. But a whole new war looms on the horizon as Operation Barbarossa is set to begin in earnest. Germany intends to plunge deep into the Soviet Union, intent on eradicating Communism and the Red Army. While in the east, the Japanese Empire is poised to strike decisive blows on the colonial possessions of the West. As the dust settles the world finds itself in a truly global war. Take command as either the Axis juggernaut, gaining momentum and territory rapidly. Or fight on the side of the Allies, stem the tide of Axis aggression, and launch an offensive of your own. The year is 1941, battles have been fought, but the war has just begun.

Current Alpha +3 Rules are in effect (Including National Objectives and special rules)
    Politically, the game begins as if it was the beginning of the third turn.
    All powers follow any relevant restrictions. (Neutrality, etc.)

Updated November 27, 2012

National Setup By Country

[Germany] - 48 IPCs
    Germany - 6 Infantry, 1 Mech Infantry, 1 Artillery, 1 Tank, 2 Fighters, 2 Tactical Bombers, 1 Bomber, Major IC, 4 AA guns
    West Germany - 6 Infantry, 1 Mech Infantry, 1 Artillery, 1 Tank, 1 Fighter, 1 Tactical Bomber, 1 Bomber, Major IC, 4 AA guns, Port, Airbase
    Greater Southern Germany - 6 Infantry, 1 Mech Infantry
    Holland Belgium - 2 Infantry, AA Gun
    Normandy/Bordeux - 2 Infantry, AA Gun, Minor IC, Port, Control Marker
    France - 2 Infantry, 1 Tank, 1 Fighter, 1 Tactical Bomber, Minor IC, Airbase, Control Marker
    Southern France - 1 Infantry, 1 Tank, Minor IC, Port, Control Marker
    Morocco - 1 Infantry, Control Marker
    Algeria - 1 Infantry, Control Marker
    French West Africa - Control Marker
    French Central Africa - Control Marker
    French Madagascar - Control Marker
    Tunisia - 1 Infantry
    Libya - 2 Infantry, 2 Mech Infantry, 1 Tank
    Syria - Control Marker
    Southern Italy - 1 Infantry, 1 Fighter
    Greece - 1 Infantry, 2 Mech Infantry, 1 Tank
    Bulgaria - 4 Infantry, Control Marker
    Yugoslavia - 2 Infantry, 2 Artillery
    Romania - 6 Infantry, 1 Mech Infantry, 2 Artillery, 2 Tanks
    Slovakia Hungary - 8 Infantry, 3 Mech Infantry, 2 Artillery, 3 Tanks
    Poland - 8 Infantry, 3 Mech Infantry, 2 Artillery, 3 Tanks
    Finland - 6 Infantry, 1 Artillery, 1 Tank
    Norway - 2 Infantry, 1 Mech Infantry, 1 Fighter, AA Gun
    Denmark - 2 Infantry
    SZ 113 - 2 Subs, 1 Destroyer, 1 Cruiser, 1 Transport
    SZ 114 - 1 Sub, ,1 Cruiser, 1 Transport
    SZ 118 - 1 Battleship (Damaged)
    SZ 106 - 1 Sub
    SZ 103 - 1 Sub
    SZ 93 - 1 Sub, 1 Transport
    SZ 96 - 1 Destroyer

[Soviet Union] - 37 IPCs
    Russia - 6 Infantry, 1 Mech Infantry, 2 Artillery, 2 Tanks, 1 Fighter, 1 Tactical Bomber, 1 Bomber, Major IC, 3 AA guns, Airbase
    Vologda - 1 Infantry
    Archangel - 1 Infantry
    Novgorod - 11 Infantry, 2 Mech Infantry, 1 Fighter, Minor IC, 4 AA guns, Port, Airbase
    Karelia - 2 Infantry, 1 Mech Infantry
    Vyborg - 2 Infantry, 1 Artillery
    Baltic States - 2 Infantry, 1 Mech Infantry, 1 Artillery, 1 Tactical Bomber
    Belarus - 1 Infantry
    Eastern Poland - 2 Infantry, 1 Artillery, 1 Tank, 1 Fighter
    Western Ukraine - 1 Infantry
    Bessarabia - 3 Infantry, 1 Mech Infantry
    Ukraine - 3 Infantry, 1 Artillery, 1 Tank, Minor IC, AA gun
    Rostov - 2 Infantry
    Caucasus - 1 Infantry, 1 Mech Infantry
    Volgograd - 2 Infantry, 1 Mech Infantry, 2 Artillery, 1 Tank, 1 Fighter, Minor IC, AA gun
    Tambov - 1 Infantry
    Bryansk - 2 Infantry
    Smolensk - 2 Infantry
    Turkmenistan- 1 Infantry
    Kazakhstan - 1 Infantry
    Samara - 1 Infantry
    Novosibirsk - 1 Infantry
    Timguska - 4 Infantry
    Nenetsia - 1 Infantry
    Urals - 1 Infantry
    Evenkiyskiy - 1 Infantry
    Yenisey - 4 Infantry, 2 Mech Infantry, 1 Tank
    Yakut SSR - 4 Infantry
    Buryatia - 4 Infantry, 2 Mech Infantry, 1 Artillery
    Sakha - 1 Infantry
    Amur - 4 Infantry, 1 Fighter, 2 AA guns
    Siberia - 2 Infantry
    Soviet Far East - 2 Infantry
    SZ 100 - 1 Sub, 1 Destroyer
    SZ 127 - 1 Sub
    SZ 115 - 1 Sub, 1 Cruiser, 1 Transport
    SZ 5 - 1 Destroyer

[Japan] - 31 IPCs
    Japan - 6 Infantry, 1 Artilley, 1 Tank, 2 Fighters, 2 Tactical Bombers, 1 Bomber, Major IC, 2 AA guns, Port, Airbase
    Korea - 4 Infantry, 1 Mech Infantry, 1 Fighter, 2 AA guns
    Manchuria - 6 Infantry, 1 Mech Infantry, 1 Artillery, 2 Fighters, 2 Tactical Bombers, 2 AA guns
    Jehol - 2 Infantry
    Chahar - 2 Infantry, Control Marker
    Shantung - 2 Infantry
    Anhwe - 4 Infantry, 1 Artillery, Control Marker
    Kiangsu - 3 Infantry, 1 Mech Infantry, 1 Artillery, 1 Tank, 1 Fighter, Port
    Kiangsi - 1 Infantry
    Kwangsi - 1 Infantry
    Yunnan - 1 Infantry, Control Marker
    French Indochina - 1 Infantry, 1 Fighter, Control Marker
    Siam - 2 Infantry, 1 Artillery
    Formosa - 1 Infantry, 1 Fighter
    Okinawa - 1 Infantry, 1 Fighter, 1 Bomber, 1 Airbase
    Iwo Jima - 1 Infantry
    Marianas - 1 Infantry
    Caroline Islands - 3 Infantry, 1 Artillery, 1 Fighter, AA gun, Port, Airbase
    Paulau Island - 1 Infantry
    SZ 6 - 1 Sub, 2 Destroyers, 1 Cruiser, 1 Battleship, 1 Carrier w/ 1 Fighter & 1 Tactical Bomber, 3 Transports
    SZ 19 - 1 Destroyer, 1 Cruiser, 1 Transport
    SZ 36 - 1 Sub, 2 Destroyers, 1 Cruiser, 1 Battleship, 1 Carrier w/ 1 Fighter & 1 Tactical Bomber, 1 Transport, 2 Infantry.
    SZ 25 - 1 Sub, 1 Destroyer, 2 Carriers w/ 2 Fighters & 2 Tactical Bombers
    SZ 33 - 1 Sub, 1 Destroyer, 2 Transports
    SZ 37 - 1 Destroyer, 1 Transport, 2 Infantry

[United States] - 52 IPCs
    Eastern United States - 6 Infantry, 1 Artillery, 1 Fighter, 1 Bomber, Minor IC, 2 AA guns, Port, Airbase
    Central United States - 4 Infantry, 4 Mech Infantry, 2 Tanks, 1 Fighter, Minor IC
    Western United States - 4 Infantry, 1 Artillery, 1 Fighter, 1 Tactical Bomber, 1 Bomber, Minor IC, 2 AA guns, Port, Airbase
    Alaska - 1 Infantry
    Hawaiian Islands - 2 Infantry, 1 Mech Infantry, 1 Artillery, 1 Fighter, 1 Bomber, AA gun, Port, Airbase
    Midway - 1 Infantry, 1 Fighter, 1 Airbase
    Wake Island - 1 Infantry, Airbase
    Guam - Airbase
    Philippines - 2 Infantry, 1 Artillery, 1 Fighter
    Central America - 1 Infantry, AA gun
    SZ 101 - 1 Destroyer, 1 Cruiser, 1 Sub, 1 Transport
    SZ 102 - 1 Destroyer
    SZ 64 - 1 Destroyer, 1 Battleship
    SZ 10 - 1 Sub, 2 Destroyers, 2 Cruisers, 2 Transports
    SZ 26 - 2 Battleships, 1 Cruiser, 1 Transport
    SZ 28 - 1 Destroyer, 1 Sub, 2 Carriers w/ 2 Fighters & 2 Tactical Bombers
    SZ 35 - 1 Destroyer, 1 Transport

[China] - 9 IPCs
    Szechwan - 6 Infantry, 1 Artillery, 1 Fighter, AA gun
    Hunan - 1 Infantry
    Kweichow - 1 Infantry
    Hopei - 1 Infantry
    Shensi - 2 Infantry
    Suiyuyan - 2 Infantry
    Kansu - 1 Infantry
    Sikang - 1 Infantry
    Tsinghai - 1 Infantry

[United Kingdom Europe] - 29 IPCs
    United Kingdom - 4 Infantry, 1 Artillery, 1 Tank, 1 Fighter, Major IC (With 10 Points of Damage), 4 AA Guns, Port (With 3 Points of Damage), Airbase (With 3 Points of Damage)
    Scotland - 1 Infantry, 1 Mech Infantry, 2 Fighters, 1 Bomber, Airbase
    Iceland - 1 Infantry, Airbase
    Gibraltar - 1 Infantry, 1 Fighter, 1 AA gun, Port
    Malta - 1 Infantry, 1 Fighter, AA gun, Airbase (With 5 Points of Damage)
    Crete - 1 Infantry, Control Marker
    Tobruk - 1 Tank, Control Marker
    Alexandria - 1 Infantry
    Egypt - 1 Infantry, 1 Mech Infantry, 1 Tank, AA gun, Port
    Trans-Jordan - 1 Infantry, 1 Artillery
    Anglo Egyptian Sudan - 1 Infantry
    Kenya - 1 Infantry
    Ethiopia - 1 Infantry, 1 Artillery, 1 Tank, Control Marker
    French Equatorial Africa - Control Marker
    Union of South Africa - 1 Infantry, 1 Mech Infantry, 1 Artillery, AA gun, Minor IC, Port
    Southwest Africa - 1 Infantry
    New Brunswick/Nova Scotia - Port
    Quebec - 1 Infantry, 1 Tank, 1 Fighter, Minor IC
    Ontario - 1 Infantry, 1 Artillery
    Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba - 1 Infantry
    British Colombia [Western Canada] - 1 Infantry, 1 Mech Infantry
    SZ 106 - 1 Destroyer, 1 Transport
    SZ 117 - 1 Cruiser
    SZ 109 - 1 Transport
    SZ 119 - 1 Sub, 2 Cruisers, 1 Battleship
    SZ 111 - 1 Destroyer
    SZ 92 - 1 Carrier, 1 Tactical Bomber
    SZ 99 - 1 Destroyer, 1 Transport
    SZ 98 - 1 Destroyer, 1 Cruiser, 1 Sub
    SZ 82 - 1 Sub
    SZ 71 - 1 Destroyer, 1 Transport

[United Kingdom Pacific] - 24 IPCs
    India - 6 Infantry, 1 Artillery, 1 Fighter, 1 Tactical Bomber, Major IC, 3 AA guns, Port, Airbase
    West India - 1 Infantry, 1 Mech Infantry, AA gun
    Burma - 2 Infantry
    Malaya - 3 Infantry
    Kwangtung - 2 Infantry
    Sumatra - Control Marker
    Celebes - Control Marker
    SZ 39 - 1 Sub, 1 Destroyer, 1 Carrier w/ 1 Fighter, 1 Transport
    SZ 37 - 1 Cruiser, 1 Battleship

[Italy] - 14 IPCs
    Southern Italy - 2 Infantry, 1 Artillery, 1 Fighter, Minor IC, 2 AA guns, Port (5 Points of Damage), Airbase
    Northern Italy - 2 Infantry, 1 Mech Infantry, 1 Tank, 1 Fighter, 1 Bomber, Major IC, 2 AA guns
    Sicily - 1 Infantry, 1 Tactical Bomber, Airbase
    Southern France - 1 Infantry
    Yugoslavia - 2 Infantry, Control Marker
    Albania - 1 Infantry
    Greece - 1 Infantry, 1 Tank, Control Marker
    Romania - 1 Infantry, 1 Artillery
    Tunisia - 1 Infantry, 1 Mech Infantry, 1 Tank, Control Marker
    Libya - 2 Infantry, 1 Artillery, AA Gun
    Italian Somaliland - 1 Infantry
    British Somaliland - 1 Infantry, 1 Mech Infantry, Control Marker
    SZ 95 - 1 Sub, 1 Destroyer, 1 Cruiser, 1 Transport
    SZ 97 - 1 Battleship (Damaged)
    SZ 93 - 1 Cruiser, 1 Transport
    SZ 96 - 1 Cruiser, 1 Transport

[ANZAC] - 14 IPCs
    New South Wales - 1 Infantry, 1 Mech Infantry, 1 Tank, 1 Fighter, 1 Tactical Bomber, AA Gun, Minor IC, Port
    Queensland - 2 Infantry, 1 Artillery, 1 Fighter, Port, AA Gun, Airbase
    Western Australia - 1 Infantry
    New Zealand - 1 Infantry, 1 Mech Infantry, 1 Artillery, 1 Fighter, Minor IC, AA Gun, Port, Airbase
    New Hebrides - Control Marker
    New Guinea - 1 Infantry
    Dutch New Guinea - Control Marker
    Java - Control Marker
    Malaya - 1 Infantry
    Shan State - 1 Infantry
    India - 1 Infantry
    Egypt - 1 Infantry
    Alexandria - 1 Mech Infantry
    Tobruk - 1 Infantry
    SZ 54 - 1 Destroyer, 1 Sub
    SZ 62 - 1 Transport
    SZ 63 - 1 Cruiser
    SZ 39 - 1 Cruiser
    SZ 98 - 1 Destroyer

[France] - 0 IPCs
    United Kingdom - 2 Infantry, 1 Fighter
    Egypt - 1 Infantry
    French Equatorial Africa - 1 Mech Infantry

• In a recent game I played as the Allies and let a buddy tackle the Axis. He shortchanged himself by underbuilding at the southern France factory (he was intent on helping Italy with Germany) but only built a cruiser, sub and transport there (and moved the DD over)

The UK attacked this fleet, killing a German DD, CR, TRN and Italian CR and TRN.
    He was quite mad, but learned an important lesson. The UK can NOT let the Germans get off cheap and flood Africa with Germans. I had to kill it.
    After a few rounds we discussed that he should have bought a carrier or airbase for southern france if he wanted to go that route.

Imagine a purchase such as that as German forces swooping in and taking over the Vichy French navy (not really building ships in the med, but paying to steal ones already there)

The game is still ongoing, but as a warning to Axis players, don’t try and be cheap about helping Italy, or the UK will attack and kill that fleet. (unless you kill that UK Carrier)

• It’s good more brit power was added to the med IMO. I beleive the setup we have is actually the Alpha 2 one (might update, but none of us is too keen on the AA gun change)

It looks like the DD in 92 got upgraded to a tac and the sub in 99 moved south to 98 while a DD and trn got added there.

It seems that germany still has decent odds for a med wipe (or at least blocking the 98 fleet from going anywhere in combat move the UK turn.), but it was too easy before.

It’s a cool challenge for the Germans that yugoslavia starts out italian and thus ineligible for the German factory.

• It is seeming to be the best option for germany to move its Med DD over to 97 on G1 to protect the Italian BB from the UK sub.

Yugoslavia is italian, but Germany starts with the south france factory.

And take this advice: don’t resist the AA gun rule change. It makes the game a LOT better.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m